Thread: Buster Olney Tweet (Arroyo?)

Buster Olney Tweet (Arroyo?)

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1h Part of reason Twins clearing money is to add another starting pitcher (Bronson Arroyo?) This would be crazy to sign Hughes, Nolasco, Pelfrey and Arroyo.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Buster is just doing his part to keep interest in Arroyo alive. Maybe Arroyo's agent asked Buster as a favor to say this to get a deal.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Unless I'm missing something, we certainly wouldn't need to be clearing money to sign any pitcher not named Tanaka, and that ain't happening. We can dream that they're clearing money to sign an extension for an ace pitcher they're about to trade for though.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    If they do sign Arroyo, I would think/hope Corriea is traded.

How is clearing out 3.5 million going to help sign Arroyo for multiple years? I saw the tweet, but I don't believe it.

Do you want Arroyo, who is 37 at 2-3 years or do you want a younger Corriea for cheaper at 1 year?

As much as I love following and reading about player acquisitions, I think we're looking at a catcher (Suzuki or Buck).

If anything, we're go after one of them (and will get one of them) and the only other major upgrade I see us making is SS. We'll continue to be in the Drew discussion and maybe sign Diaz from Cuba after he shows what he can do in Feb (when he's eligible to sign).

Anything else would most likely trading Worley or Diamond for a C prospect at best.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His salary/roster spot is a wash with Kubel's 3 mill 1 year deal

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought they were done after Hughes, so who knows what I know at this point, but I have a hard time believing they are looking for a fourth pitcher, especially with Gibson, Worley, and Darnell, all of whom will get a shot this year (and should get one). I would think that means KC is on the trading block, and Ryan has takers. I have a tough time believing that.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I thought they were done after Hughes, so who knows what I know at this point, but I have a hard time believing they are looking for a fourth pitcher, especially with Gibson, Worley, and Darnell, all of whom will get a shot this year (and should get one). I would think that means KC is on the trading block, and Ryan has takers. I have a tough time believing that.
    I would have doubted it a month ago, but with the Vargas signing etc., I believe Corriea is tradeable and I don't believe Ryan is done. Besides Perkins and our farm, whom I believe are untouchable, do we have a better trading chip? I never felt The Hammer would be traded after 2012 or even now, until we have at least a prayer of right handed power in the lineup or the return was off the charts. When Sano comes, The Hammer goes IMO.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    His salary/roster spot is a wash with Kubel's 3 mill 1 year deal
    Only if Kubel jumps through a lot of hoops, his entire contract is incentive-laden. (He'll have to somehow be extraordinarily better than he was last year in AZ.-- in a less-friendly hitting environment in TF that he already has a mental block over, to hit all of these incremental incentives. There's simply no reason to keep him around coming out of ST if he's not projecting to be producing at a rate better than Doumit's pedestrian numbers in 2013.).

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    With the added legit ML depth, Darnell would only be the in the PJ/Liam 26th man emergency, double-header role, unless he shows something in Roc. that no one expects from him to somehow skip ahead on the depth chart.

I had my doubts on KC too, but now I'm convinced that he has at least one taker for Correia's services in his backpocket, should he be able to sign one more FA SP upgrade.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Only if Kubel jumps through a lot of hoops, his entire contract is incentive-laden. (He'll have to somehow be extraordinarily better than he was last year in AZ.-- in a less-friendly hitting environment in TF that he already has a mental block over, to hit all of these incremental incentives. There's simply no reason to keep him around coming out of ST if he's not projecting to be producing at a rate better than Doumit's pedestrian numbers in 2013.).
    His incentives are not exactly difficult to reach. 2 mill base salary just for making the team. 150K for reaching 300 PA & again for 350 PA, then 200K for 400 PA.

Even if Hammer returns healthy he will miss time here & there. Hard to see him not getting to 300 PA atleast.