Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: MTPH2014: Award-Winner Stories

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great! Glad this book is out.

Quibbles:

Rgers as Pitcher of the Year has me scratching my head. In high A he pitched 103 innings but only got 83 SO. He gave up a fair amount of hits and I am not sure how much of a prospect he is. He is fine depth and could get a cup of coffee but at best he is a left handed PJ Walters. He did do OK vs lefties and he has a chance as LOOGY guy but...not sure he outpichted Berrios, Baxendale and a few others.

Mauer over Gene Glynn?

This one I can't abide. Are you trying to keep the Cedar Rapids PR staff on your side?

Glynn's team took a big crap out of the gate. He held them together got some pieces and his team made a huge playoff run with a very small amount of top prospects. He has now done this two years in row and he should be in the running for Manager of the Future.

Mauer had the creme of the prospect crop, over used his best pitcher - Berrios and got drummed out of the playoffs despite a talented roster. He already got demoted from High A to Low A, so why he deserves praise is beyond me.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Great! Glad this book is out.

Quibbles:

Rgers as Pitcher of the Year has me scratching my head. In high A he pitched 103 innings but only got 83 SO. He gave up a fair amount of hits and I am not sure how much of a prospect he is. He is fine depth and could get a cup of coffee but at best he is a left handed PJ Walters. He did do OK vs lefties and he has a chance as LOOGY guy but...not sure he outpichted Berrios, Baxendale and a few others.
    It's not Prospect of the Year award, it's Pitcher... I'd encourage you to put their numbers side-by-side sometime and just see. The Twins choice was Andrew Albers, which was my #2 guy. I didn't have Baxendale or Berrios in my top 5, I don't think, though I'd have to look back to early September to see it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Mauer over Gene Glynn?

This one I can't abide. Are you trying to keep the Cedar Rapids PR staff on your side?

Glynn's team took a big crap out of the gate. He held them together got some pieces and his team made a huge playoff run with a very small amount of top prospects. He has now done this two years in row and he should be in the running for Manager of the Future.

Mauer had the creme of the prospect crop, over used his best pitcher - Berrios and got drummed out of the playoffs despite a talented roster. He already got demoted from High A to Low A, so why he deserves praise is beyond me.
    Glynn would have been a good choice, and so would have Doug Mientkiewicz. All deserving. However, for me, the Kernels had a loaded roster in the first half with prospects and veteran pitchers. They were very good in the first half. Then many of the top prospects moved up, and the veteran pitchers moved up, and they were 6-8 games better in the second half.

In the story, I've got a quote from Minor League Director Brad Steil about why Mauer was moved from FM to CR, and it was definitely not a demotion.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rogers does get a lot of groundballs (55% last year) which gives him a chance of being a valuable pitcher without getting tons of strikeouts. Probably 5th starter, LOOGY, or long reliever, but he's not a non-prospect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's not Prospect of the Year award, it's Pitcher... I'd encourage you to put their numbers side-by-side sometime and just see. The Twins choice was Andrew Albers, which was my #2 guy. I didn't have Baxendale or Berrios in my top 5, I don't think, though I'd have to look back to early September to see it.
    If its performance only, I would say even a candidate like Matt Summers is more deserving than Rogers. He pitched 120 IP in the FSL and got more Strike Outs, had a better BB% and had a better Batting Ave against. Furthermore, why wouldn't you go with Albers who was better than Rogers in most measurements except ERA.
    Rogers is just such an odd choice to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Glynn would have been a good choice, and so would have Doug Mientkiewicz. All deserving. However, for me, the Kernels had a loaded roster in the first half with prospects and veteran pitchers. They were very good in the first half. Then many of the top prospects moved up, and the veteran pitchers moved up, and they were 6-8 games better in the second half.
    I wouldn't say many of CR's top prospects moved up. Some did. More didn't.
    He ended the year with Walker, Polonco, Goodrum, Berrios, Boer, Boyd, & Harrison on his team.
    Most of those guys were considered top prospects at the start of last year. - but Boyd & Boer have dropped off.

In my opinion, Glennn is the one who deserves the award (and the publicity.) I wish he was in the running for Gardy's job.