Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins promote Antony

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 186 Times in 114 Posts

Twins promote Antony

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...s-viciedo.html

New title is vice president/assistant GM. Most likely Ryan's successor at this point.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It makes you wonder how much longer Ryan plans on staying in the GM's chair. I think his role is a pretty reluctant one right now.

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Congrats to Mr. Antony!
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It makes you wonder how much longer Ryan plans on staying in the GM's chair. I think his role is a pretty reluctant one right now.
    I don't think he'll retire until the Twins are winning again. He's done a pretty good job setting up a future (Buxton/Sano/Meyer foundation) in his time back but I think he'd want to see it blossom first.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll give him credit for Meyer out of those 3. Even a blind squirrel would have picked Buxton.

Edit: He also made a few other good picks and signings to be fair. But He has missed about as much as the next guy.
    Last edited by COtwin; 12-19-2013 at 09:21 AM.

7. These 2 users like COtwin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-19-2013), notoriousgod71 (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    Buxton could very well have flourished in any system, but all organizations don't progress their prospects the same way. Maybe in another system, he would have been more fast-tracked, and he'd be struggling. Who knows.

Point being, once a prospect is in the organization, it's not just cruise control. Some level of credit needs to be given for helping a prospect blossom (and the opposite, when they flame out)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I don't think he'll retire until the Twins are winning again. He's done a pretty good job setting up a future (Buxton/Sano/Meyer foundation) in his time back but I think he'd want to see it blossom first.
    Ryan was retired when that happened.

Reading Anthony's job description it seems that he is responsible now for everything a GM is responsible. Interesting to see how much different Ryan's job description is now.

BTW, as far as six months ago, there were strong indications that Anthony was prepared to be Ryan's successor and this is just another step towards that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,487 Times in 780 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by COtwin View Post
    I'll give him credit for Meyer out of those 3. Even a blind squirrel would have picked Buxton.

Edit: He also made a few other good picks and signings to be fair. But He has missed about as much as the next guy.
    I won't give Ryan a ton of credit for picking Buxton because he was coveted by most organizations.

But let's not pretend that there were no questions surrounding him out of high school. He played in the sticks; there were questions about competition level and whether it was masking some inherent flaws in him as a player. Plus, playing out in the sticks meant that scouting on him was light compared to his relative talent level.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    I thought the cheif scout ran the draft, not the GM......

Would be cool if this thread was about Rob Antony, and not another debate about TR....
    Lighten up Francis....

12. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-19-2013), twinsnorth49 (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Seems Rob would be one of the youngest GM's in the league correct?? The thing I like about Rob is that he seems to be pretty blunt in interviews. That is just my opinion.

As far as the TR argument goes, maybe some could start a thread about how they hate threads being hijacked...and quit bit chin' about it in every thread (which ironically is hijacking threads)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Age-wise I think he'd be around average. I'm not excited with him as future GM... seems like Bill Smith 2.0.

15. This user likes drivlikejehu's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-19-2013)

Liked 1,170 Times in 686 Posts
    He's been with the team for more than 25 years .... not exactly a newcomer or youngster.

Congratulations to Mr. Antony and I do think that the Twins are setting up the line of succession. At least this gives them someone who has been active on the baseball side to move up. Although Mike Radcliffe may still be in that line of succession, too ... just not sure if he wants the GM job (didn't interview for an outside job last year although it was framed as the Twins not allowing him to interview).

Congrats, too, to the other 3 people the Twins made VP's yesterday.

Souhan had a pretty good story on Antony when he was made assistant GM in 2007: http://www.startribune.com/sports/11922191.html

Article says he was born in 1965 so that would make him 48.

And, yes, I'd still like to see the Twins bring in some "new blood" at the higher levels of the organization on occasion.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 12-19-2013 at 10:31 AM.

17. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    The thing I like most about this is that we are promoting from within, giving this team some much needed stability and proving you don't need recent on-field success to get promoted.

Senior Member All-Star

Wasn't trying to "give him credit," I was just saying that a foundation is in place and he'd want to see it out before he retires. I suppose I could have written more to make that more clear but ...

In any event, Antony seems to be setting up for a nice transition down the road. I personally think that stability is generally a positive for an organization.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Seems Rob would be one of the youngest GM's in the league correct??
    No. He will be one of the oldest...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    The thing I like most about this is that we are promoting from within, giving this team some much needed stability and proving you don't need recent on-field success to get promoted.
    How much more recent can there be than any day now? It's getting almost impossible to miss the irresistible force descending on Target Field.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 606 Times in 338 Posts
    He's always come across well in interviews, so good for him. Seems like he's put in his dues.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surprised no one has mentioned Antony's April 2010 interview with ESPN, where he did not know what FIP or BABIP stood for. I think that's about the only reference I hear about Antony around these parts...

I don't hold that interview against him, but hopefully the baseball analytics department he now oversees has him up to speed a little more.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Gleeman passed up. Once again . . .

25. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-19-2013)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 736 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries

Except for Houston

I should note that there were some questions about him. Not everyone said he should be picked 1 overall.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast