Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Pitching Prospect Profile: Sean Gilmartin

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    When I think of a top 25 prospect in a strong and deep org I typically think of someone that is interesting in some way - tonkin/Goodrum/Jorge/ZJones. Gilmartin throwing 86-87 is completely uninteresting. If it helps maybe I should say he's not a prospect at that point.
    Eh, I think he's still a prospect. The chances of him ever being a long-term roster solution drop to virtually zero but given that he's left-handed and had a history of being a control guy, he's still in the mix.

It doesn't take much for a lefty to continue being a prospect because they're so in demand on a typical MLB roster. If Gilmartin was a righty, I'd agree with you. He'd be a non-prospect at 86mph.

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-23-2013)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Agree to disagree???
    Seth, you always look for the best in prospects. I'm not the slightest bit surprised that you disagree.

4. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-23-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    At some level, you need to almost blindly accumulate top starting pitching prospects because the burn rate is so high. For our favorite team, 5 is scary, 10 is about right, and 15 is an abundance of riches. I've heard both Brad Pitt and Andy MacPhail say they use roughly a 3 to 1 ratio. Three top starting pitching prospects, yields one solid major league starter.

6. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-23-2013)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Great deal for the Twins. Doumit was the epitome of a boring Twins year last year to me--not only was he terrible, but I have nothing invested in him as a fan either (unlike Plouffe or Parm or Colabello, etc., who you're interested to see if they develop to any extent), so he is a guy that I have wanted gone for a while now. As Gleeman and the Geek said this week, he has negative value for the Twins, so just being able to dump his salary is great, and on top of that, they grabbed a nice lottery ticket. Gilmartin probably won't ever amount to anything, but that's ok. Any value will ever give the Twins is a bonus.

8. This user likes Jdosen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (12-22-2013)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123