Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Article: Pitching Prospect Profile: Sean Gilmartin

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,924
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Pitching Prospect Profile: Sean Gilmartin


  2. #2
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    18
    Like
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks, Seth! Sounds like Gilmartin was on the fast-track in the Atlanta system before the injury last year. I think this is a great pickup in exchange a guy with limited value (bench bat & backup corner outfielder on a good team), especially to a rebuilding team.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Good job getting this done quickly! And you and I agree on his placement on the Twins prospect list.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    484
    Like
    31
    Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Good job getting this done quickly! And you and I agree on his placement on the Twins prospect list.
    I love this trade. We had depth and let's face it, Doumit wasn't even an average DH, which is where he probably would have seen the most AB's. At a bare minium, this guy looks like a very good lefty specialist out of the pen. Best case a #3 or #4 starter. I read in another report that his change and slider are both plus offerings.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    243
    Like
    19
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I think by the end of spring training we will have lost 1 or 2 of Diamond, Worley, and Deduno, to waivers or trades so adding Gilmartin will be important to restocking our AA and AAA pitching depth, as well as our depth for starter prospects.

  6. This user likes maxisagod's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Monkeypaws (12-19-2013)

  7. #6
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Great move! With Kris Johnson and now Gilmartin, it looks like they're rethinking the pecking order and roles of our lefties.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    225
    Like
    96
    Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
    Agree with the other posters, this is a great move.
    Saw this from a DFA Doumit/sign Suzuki angle initially, so first take was: good move.

    Taking Gilmartin separately, and considering how he seems to have been rushed through the Braves' system, we can let him spell for '14 in AA or AAA and risk nothing, while giving him time to rebound & adjust. Given that time and support from the org., it's possible he could flesh out his pitches and develop a multi-weapon arsenal.

    Come '15, he stands to be in serious consideration if all goes well in AA/AAA, and I could see a guy like this adapting to any number of roles. Still, we have to get '14 behind us and the big SP & C transitions first to really be able to say any more about this aspect of the deal.

    Meantime, he has a chance to develop, we have a chance to mentor and scout, let out rotation shake out, then make a decision. What's not to like?

  9. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    641
    Like
    79
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Two things:

    This makes me feel quite a bit better after all the negative things I have heard about his fastball. A guy with nice secondary offerings can afford to only throw 91-92 on his FB. It was the reports that he struggled to approach 90 that worried me. Which leads me to my next thought...

    Is it common for a pitcher to lose as much as 6! MPH on his fastball from some simple tendinitis? That seems like an awfully big drop.

    Assuming he can regain that 92mph velocity I see no reason he can't work his way up to a #3 caliber starter with his secondary offerings, right?

  10. #9
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,924
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I do need to reiterate that his fastball in 2013 was more in the 86-87 range, but I think a lot of that has to be shoulder related. Hopefully he can get the velocity back.

    The other nice thing is that he doesn't need to be added to the 40 man roster until after 2014, so no need to rush him the next couple of years. Get him healthy and back on track.

  11. #10
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    I'd put Gilmartin a little further back (probably near the back-half of the twenties), but I think it's universally accepted that I value upside far more than readiness (or near-readiness).

  12. #11
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'd put Gilmartin a little further back (probably near the back-half of the twenties), but I think it's universally accepted that I value upside far more than readiness (or near-readiness).
    You also have a better feel for ETA times.

    Gibson....Meyer....May?................Gilmartin/Eades

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Great move! With Kris Johnson and now Gilmartin, it looks like they're rethinking the pecking order and roles of our lefties.
    Yes, and rightly so.

  14. #13
    Do we really need another soft tossing pitcher? What about getting some guys to fill out the lineup? Now we have some pitching and no one that can hit the ball let alone drive in runs. Our offense was as pathetic as our pitching last year and now who do we have that will drive in runs?

  15. #14
    I am wary of assuming this guy will give us much in 2015--as Seth says--threw about 87MPH last year--looks like another Duensing/Diamond type (back of rotation lefty starter or lefty reliever)--even if recovers from injury issues (doubt he can consistently get over 90MPH.

    On the other hand we gave up nothing in Doumit--a mediocre lefty bench back and opened up a roster spot for Pelfrey--so a good trade but doesn't mean much in the long run.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    468
    Like
    35
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    We've seen higher-rated, older prospects throw for a higher ERA at lower leagues when healthy than this guy did last year in AAA with a sore shoulder. His college, first year, and AFL numbers were all pretty good.

    Seeing that trading Doumit itself hurts nothing, I like the trade - all I can say about this and the Butera trade is, more of the same please.

  17. #16
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    You also have a better feel for ETA times.

    Gibson....Meyer....May?................Gilmartin/Eades
    Good question...

    Gibson will be in the rotation as soon as he wins a spot (or someone gets injured). The likelihood is that he's going to start the season in Rochester and, unless someone clears waivers, be the first guy up. So... May/June.

    Meyer... for some reason, I feel like he'll be the first of the wave to make the Show. So I'm going to go with July. I could see it be later... but if this team is anywhere near contention (and I'm not saying they will be), Meyer will be up and helping.

    May: He's tough because he could be a starter or a reliever. I think September call-up, but potentially earlier if he shifts to the bullpen. Opening Day of 2015 (if a reliever), summer of '15 if he's still a starter.

    Gilmartin: 2015 (as needed), but can't see the Twins adding him to 40-man roster during season to start when he's going to be 9th or 10th at best in the pecking order. Baxendale in the same relative boat.

    Eades: No where close until he can at least pitch in AA.

    Of course, all of this is best (yet fun) guess.

  18. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    889
    Like
    38
    Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
    As a Braves fan and writer, I've seen a lot of Gilmartin, and last year it wasn't just the velocity. He lost feel and touch on all his pitches, and it sounds like this is a shoulder injury that could be one of things that never goes away fully, meaning days of 91-92 and sharp-breaking junk may simply be gone. I know he had slipped to 14 in the Braves system in our ranks, and that's a bottom tier system right now, so you're talking a prospect who's likely 350-450 overall in baseball. Not that Doumit was exactly lighting the world on fire, but Gilmartin was basically throwaway fodder for the Braves. It'd be nice for the Twins if he could recover some of what he once was, but everything I've seen, read, and heard says Gilmartin is likely never that guy again fully.

  19. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    641
    Like
    79
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    As a Braves fan and writer, I've seen a lot of Gilmartin, and last year it wasn't just the velocity. He lost feel and touch on all his pitches, and it sounds like this is a shoulder injury that could be one of things that never goes away fully, meaning days of 91-92 and sharp-breaking junk may simply be gone. I know he had slipped to 14 in the Braves system in our ranks, and that's a bottom tier system right now, so you're talking a prospect who's likely 350-450 overall in baseball. Not that Doumit was exactly lighting the world on fire, but Gilmartin was basically throwaway fodder for the Braves. It'd be nice for the Twins if he could recover some of what he once was, but everything I've seen, read, and heard says Gilmartin is likely never that guy again fully.
    Well if that's the case it is unfortunate; for him, for the Braves, and finally for the Twins. Sounds like "shoulder tendinitis" might be a euphemism if he is really that unlikely to recover fully. Rest and a cortisone shot can cure some pretty nasty tendinitis, so reading between the lines it sounds like he has some structural damage no one has yet mentioned.

  20. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    243
    Like
    19
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Good question...

    May: He's tough because he could be a starter or a reliever. I think September call-up, but potentially earlier if he shifts to the bullpen. Opening Day of 2015 (if a reliever), summer of '15 if he's still a starter.
    Won't May be out of options by Opening Day 2015? So maybe bullpen arm for start of 2015, followed by being stretched out as a starter for mid 2015, might be a more likely timeline.

  21. #20
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,635
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Won't May be out of options by Opening Day 2015? So maybe bullpen arm for start of 2015, followed by being stretched out as a starter for mid 2015, might be a more likely timeline.
    13 was his first optional assignment, so he's got this coming year amd next yet before he has to stick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.