Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mason: Top 10 Metrodome Twins Moments

Although we're fortunate to now have a ballpark considered among the best, I will always have a special place in my heart for the giant concrete marshmellow. Some of my favorite memories...

- My first Twins game. I was 5 years old and my mom decided it was time for my first Twins game. Paul Molitor was only a few hits away from 3,000 and I was given a commemorative full-size bat for the day which I still have. What better way to start being a fan of the greatest baseball team ever.
    - Countless cheap home run porch seats in left field!
    - Dollar dome dogs! 'Nuff said!
    - Although not Twins-related, my first Vikings game with my dad in the 2009 divisional round against the Cowboys. We kicked the crap out of them too!
    - The last Twins game in the Metrodome ever, game three of the 2009 ALDS.

Farewell, sweet prince...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    A similar Dome game that deserves mention was this from summer 1984
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98406240.shtml

Chicago pitcher was just dealing the whole game. Twins trailed 2-0 bottom of ninth. Two runners scratched their way on base. Tim Teufel comes to bat, is jammed inside, and hits a 150-ft bloop to right that "hit the seam" and bounced far, far over the charging RF head and went to the fence, inside the park home run, game over, Twins win 3-2. That was actually a pennant race that year, too
    Wasn't that the same series against Chicago where their CF botched two fly-balls for inside-the-park HRs and when said CF came to bat he received a standing ovation!--On that AB he hit a HR and the Sox won!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    I wish the Twins site had kept their most memorable Dome moments countdown that listed 100 moments.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Wally the Beerman

The cotton candy dude that should have been an NFL quarterback due to his precision passing from twenty rows away.

Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Was anybody in attendance for Jason Kubel's 2009 upper deck walk off grand slam to hit for the cycle against the Angels? That has to be on the list.
    Last edited by Reider; 12-19-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Wasn't that the same series against Chicago where their CF botched two fly-balls for inside-the-park HRs and when said CF came to bat he received a standing ovation!--On that AB he hit a HR and the Sox won!
    Not quite. I forgot about the standing ovation, but that game from 1986 was linked earlier in this thread, and the Twins won.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Was anybody in attendance for Jason Kubel's 2009 upper deck walk off grand slam to hit for the cycle against the Angels? That has to be on the list.
    Also of note: Kubel's walk-off slam against the Red Sox in June 2006. Or the following game, a Twins win that also featured the bat boy tackling a runaway fan on the field.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    No mention of the Chuck Knoblauch hot dog game?
    I mentioned it! It's definitely on my personal list, and I might argue that it is the best way to mark the beginning of the Twins 21st century renaissance (which sadly did not feature many good playoff moments, particularly at the Dome).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The greatest non-game event at the Dome had to be the gathering when the Twins came home from Detroit in 1987 after knocking off the Tigers. I watched it on TV and every single player was awestruck by the crowd and the enthusiasm. I stood up in my living room and cheered.

The Tiger game 163 was the greatest Twins game of all time IMHO. Two flawed teams clawing to make the playoffs. Great players, buffoonery and a missed call leading to little Lexi's roller to right field. Great theater, great baseball!

My favorite personal memory was sitting in the front row with my brother in corporate seats he was able to get because he was a good customer. I remember talking at length with Dennis Martinez about coming back from alcoholism and teasing Darrell Miller about being the third best athlete in his family (sibs Cheryl and Reggie were basketball stars). I also saw Kingman's popup that didn't come down.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My favourite memories include every Kirrrrrrrbyyyyyyyy Puckett introduction in which the crowd became so loud you couldn't hear the last name. HE was the most special thing(Person) I remember in connection with that place.

I saw many games there and could never accept it as a legitimate place for major league baseball to be played. Baseball games were able to be played when it rained and snowed. That's my only positive memory of the Dome.

12. This user likes Othercousin 324's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (12-25-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    What a great thread. My two favorite moments:

1. Game 6 in 1987 when Kent Hrbeck hit the grand slam. My dad's job connected him to a lot of St. Louis-based companies so our tickets were in the middle of a sea of Cardinals fans.
    2. I think it was '91. The Twins were playing the Yankees. I was sitting very near to the CF camera and there was a deep fly ball to right center. Jessie Barfield came over from RF, caught the ball and threw out Chili Davis who was trying to tag from 2nd to 3rd. From my seat, as I faced 3rd base, Barfield was about 30 yards to my 10 o'clock. That is without a doubt my most favorite live-baseball moment because it was so amazing. That throw with my vantage point was unbelievable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12