Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Catcher Kurt Suzuki

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Interesting. I always thought of Parmelee as a first baseman but never thought about what position his played in prep ball. All I know is that he played some RF early in his career and then split time.
    They tried to convert him but he was god-awful in Beloit. Like falling on his rear end, having balls hit over his head etc awful. Making Delmon look like Willie Mays. It was not a pretty sight.

I think that the Twins had the intention of penciling him at the OF because of Morneau (and Winfree, remember him?)

He has improved, don't get me wrong. I think that he is better than Willingham or Doumit, but that does not say much... His range is miniscule.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 12-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    " The signing addresses the last obvious need on the roster,...."

So we lose Morneau and Doumit (I nearly forgot Clete), sign Kubel and Suzuki to fill that void.

Do these moves really do much to improve our bad offense from last year?
    Is not obvious at this point that the Twins need offensive improvement to come from within? That is the strength of their farm system. They need Arcia to take a step forward and full healthy seasons from Willingham and Mauer with less demanding defensive positions (1b and DH). It's not realistic to expect them to add high-end talent to the MLB roster from the market. It needs to come in the names of Sano, Buxton, Sanatana, Rosario, and Hicks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There were three viable veteran catchers left for the Twins to consider.

Doumit
    Buck
    Suzuki

Though all are below average defenders, Suzuki is significantly better. I am glad they chose the glove over the bat at this key defensive position. Suzuki also has more experience playing for winning teams. Not sure how much it matters, but it can't hurt.

4. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-23-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    You're probably right about Fryer, but his 2012 AAA is kind of a crazy outlier. .504 OPS? His other two AAA seasons (admittedly small samples, all) are .647 and .704, which are both better than Suzuki's .615 overall for the last two seasons. Gotta wonder if there was an injury at work in 2012 -- I get that Fryer was an older non-prospect, but every other season he's been good for at least a few walks, a few HR, and some steals. 2012, nothing.

I had just adopted Fryer as my new favorite Twin, so I should probably recuse myself from this discussion...
    In 2011 Fryer crushed AA then got moved to AAA. He was hitting .262/.377/.446 at AAA before he got called up. He spent six weeks on the major league roster to only get 29 PA. When he was sent back down he hit .132/.281/.151. Which is why his OPS dropped.

In 2012 he was battling a shoulder injury. Part of the reason on why it was such an outlier to the rest of his career.

His overall 2013 numbers are in line with his career numbers. 14.4% walk rate with a .150 ISO. When he became the full time catcher in August, he finished the season hitting .254/.338/.474 slash line for an .813 OPS to help push the Red Wings into the playoffs. That's why he received a September call up.

He's a good defensive catcher, draws walks, has some pop and runs the bases well. I'm in the Eric Fryer fan club with you

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    He's a good defensive catcher, draws walks, has some pop and runs the bases well. I'm in the Eric Fryer fan club with you
    I was really impressed by the way Fryer runs the bases. I saw him stretch a double into a triple vs the IronPigs in Gibson's near no hitter earlier this season. Really impressed with that part of his game. But for some reason he really does not look like a catcher to me. Same way that Rohlfing does not look like a catcher to me. On the other hand, Herrmann and Pinto and Koch do. Hard to put my finger on what it is, but it is there.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    So doesn't Suzuki return us to the point we might as well have kept Butera?
    When did Butera ever hit 15 HRs in a season, or as high as .279, or drive in 88 runs?

I know, it was a few years ago, but Suzuki has produced as a major leaguer. Butera hasn't even crossed the Mendoza line as a major leaguer.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Monkeypaws for putting Suzuki's offense in perspective. Here is the thing about defense, especially catcher defense--I just don't think many measures are both fair and accurate. I expect that Suzuki is an average defensive catcher and that some of his strengths behind the dish can't be measured such as working with pitchers. I hope the division of labor is about 2.5/1 Pinto, but it would not surprise me if Suzuki gets more work. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be stunned if Pinto started 2014 in Rochester or on the disabled list. Suzuki is OK as a fill-in and I think he'll be better as a backup.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    A Veteran Backstop who will be able to help with the game planning. His Value will go beyond his batting stats and caught stealing%. The Catcher plays a major role in weather a pitcher is successful or not.

After Doumit was traded... I was pretty sure this was going to happen.

I think it's a bit much to just hand the job over to Pinto without a little insurance. We did that with Hicks in 2013. In hindsight... Insurance would have helped in the case of Hicks.

Also... In consideration of what Parmelee did a couple of Septembers ago and what he has done since that impressive September. Simply saying Pinto "here you go" after an impressive September is a little risky.

I have a feeling that Suzuki will start as the primary catcher come April.
    Agree almost completely. Not sure I agree with him starting, but the rest is right on.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With all the attention pitch framing is getting, its only a matter of time before umpires know of the good catchers who are sneaking balls by them as strikes. Umpires are judged job perfomance wise on their strike/ball calling using pitch/fx.

Also pitch framing ability is only a few years away from being an obsolete talent, with the way technology is moving it will be tracked/called electronically before we know it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    The other positive in signing Suzuki is this allows Hermann to spend another year at AAA to hone his catching skills. I'd like to see him get full time work there, I think he could be a real quality backup to Pinto but he needs more time catching.

Quality signing albeit a bit more than I thought he would get.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I was really impressed by the way Fryer runs the bases. I saw him stretch a double into a triple vs the IronPigs in Gibson's near no hitter earlier this season. Really impressed with that part of his game. But for some reason he really does not look like a catcher to me. Same way that Rohlfing does not look like a catcher to me. On the other hand, Herrmann and Pinto and Koch do. Hard to put my finger on what it is, but it is there.
    Perhaps Fryer will re-discover some of his earlier milb hitting ability and surprise. I hope he does. I'm a big believer in Hermann's future as a backup C and roll player with a decent bat and eye.

And I'm right there with you on Koch. I just have a good feeling about him.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I don't think Herrmann looks like the typical catcher. He looks like an outfielder when he's out there and he runs pretty well. However, I think the primary reason why Chris Herrmann has already seen the majors, and why he has a chance to make the club out of spring training is his versatility. If he were a catcher only, I don't think he would be nearly as intriguing. I don't see anything that indicates that Herrmann will be anything close to a league-average hitter.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Good move by TR.
    I'd be content if we are done shopping, but hope for a trade for a SS or SP and sign a bat.
    So adding .05 WAR is what you concider a good off season?
    wow you dont set the bar very high,but compared to last season it is a stark improvement

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    The other positive in signing Suzuki is this allows Hermann to spend another year at AAA to hone his catching skills. I'd like to see him get full time work there, I think he could be a real quality backup to Pinto but he needs more time catching.

Quality signing albeit a bit more than I thought he would get.
    So with Herrmann already spending 5 years in the minors, you think he needs more seasoning,Isint he like 26 years old already?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    wow you dont set the bar very high,but compared to last season it is a stark improvement

How is the 0.5 computed? Projection based? 2013 numbers?

Single season WAR is much better for describing what happened than what will happen. It should not be used as an evaluation tool for projecting the future.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I was really impressed by the way Fryer runs the bases. I saw him stretch a double into a triple vs the IronPigs in Gibson's near no hitter earlier this season. Really impressed with that part of his game.
    Yes, he has a tight body. I see that from his tight pants. He is..

Goldmember.jpg

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Given the options available on the offensive side I would be content also. Im not saying they shouldnt make any more improvements. I would go 4/60 on Garza and trade Corriea but I don't like any of the remaining bats available at positions of need for the price.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    So with Herrmann already spending 5 years in the minors, you think he needs more seasoning,Isint he like 26 years old already?
    He did just turn 26 a month ago & is a converted OF. Only 281 games of the last 4 seasons in the minors he was catching. I would prefer he was at AAA catching everyday for 1 more season rather than sitting on the bench & only catching 50 games in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    I would prefer to have Hermann and Fryer as depth (plan C and D) rather than plan B in case a rookie struggles. I could care less if Herrmann goes to AAA for an entire year (or forever).

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, I don't expect improvements on the offensive side. Catching is such a grueling position, and he has caught so many innings, his hitting will continue to decline. Perhaps if he catches less than half the time, his hands will be fresher. Otherwise, he's just OK offensively.

Defensively, he doesn't score well on the limited metrics available. But that is not why they brought him in. They brought him in to help Pinto work with pitchers. On that score, he is one of the best catchers around. I have often heard people like Bert say "he handles a pitching staff well." I wondered how to quantify that. The best measure I have been able to come up with is team ERA. This is a stat that requires many years of varying staffs to be reliable. Fortunately, in Suzuki, we have that. Oakland continually restructures its rotation. Despite that, they are consistently near the top in team ERA. I think this is good evidence that he handles a pitching staff well, which is the biggest hole in Pinto's game.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast