Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Catcher Kurt Suzuki

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Kurt Suzuki

Per La Velle and the San Francisco Chronicle, the Twins are looking at catcher Kurt Suzuki.

About all I know about him is that he used to be a Mariner and that he's still young. Anyone want to do some quick research and throw it out here?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Didn't he play for Oakland?

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A's actually... I don't remember him with the Mariners.

There was a time when I was impressed. He had occasional pop with the bat and he was a real active catcher behind the plate... Athletically skilled... He made some amazing blocks of wild pitches.

Last year... I watched him catch a couple games and he didn't seem as active... He looked a little sedentary behind the dish and he looked a little lost at the plate.

He needs to find that energy again... If he does... He'll be a decent support player... He calls a decent game so that will be good for the pitching staff.

I remember watching this play below and thinking it was one of the finest defensive plays from catcher I'd ever seen.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=7431547
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

4. These 4 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (12-17-2013), glunn (12-20-2013), twinsfan34 (12-21-2013), zchrz (12-14-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 61 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Per La Velle and the San Francisco Chronicle, the Twins are looking at catcher Kurt Suzuki.

About all I know about him is that he used to be a Mariner and that he's still young. Anyone want to do some quick research and throw it out here?
    He's actually never been a Mariner (perhaps you're thinking of onetime Seattle closer Kaz Sasaki or a certain right fielder). He came up with the Athletics with a high reputation for handling a staff and holding runners close and surprised the A's with quality seasons at the plate. He's still young in catcher years, and while he won't ever hit .300, he can give you a solid contact guy that will give you .250 batting average with a .700ish OPS. Nothing spectacular, but not horrid for a catcher either. While injuries have taken away his elite defensive abilities, he's still highly touted for handling of pitchers.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

6. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    A's actually... I don't remember him with the Mariners.

There was a time when I was impressed. He had occasional pop with the bat and he was a real active catcher behind the plate... Athletically skilled... He made some amazing blocks of wild pitches.

Last year... I watched him catch a couple games and he didn't seem as active... He looked a little sedentary behind the dish and he looked a little lost at the plate.

He needs to find that energy again... If he does... He'll be a decent support player... He calls a decent game so that will be good for the pitching staff.

I remember watching this play below and thinking it was one of the finest defensive plays from catcher I'd ever seen.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=7431547
    If you saw him after his late-season trade back to Oakland, you saw some of that vigor again. Injuries have taken some of the raw athleticism away, but he was seemingly energized with the A's staff and his bat even came alive in a short stint with Oakland last season.

Great example of that - in his first few years as a catcher, he averaged 4+ runs prevented by blocking. He was then 0.xx for the last couple years before bouncing back to produce a 5+ run prevention number in 2013 combined between the A's and Nats, which was second only to Yadi Molina.
    Last edited by biggentleben; 12-13-2013 at 10:06 PM.

8. These 2 users like biggentleben's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (12-17-2013), glunn (12-20-2013)

One mark on him offensively - he puts the ball in play. He rarely walks, but he also rarely strikes out. Fangraphs has him for a career 6.4 BB%, but also only an 11.9 K%.

10. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    If you saw him after his late-season trade back to Oakland, you saw some of that vigor again. Injuries have taken some of the raw athleticism away, but he was seemingly energized with the A's staff and his bat even came alive in a short stint with Oakland last season.
    I watched him with the Nats. I was disappointed but I wasn't aware of the injuries. Injury would explain it because he didn't look like the same guy.

If he has worked through the injury. This will be a good pickup for us. At least good for anyone that doesn't expect all players to OPS plus .900. Or be worthless.

I think he's tough and we need some tough. He could be a guy that doesn't look like he's helping but helps by improving others around him.

I hope we get him. Roll them dice!
    "9. Lipstick"

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

12. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like him a lot better than Buck. He's ok with the bat & defensively for a C. Which isnt common for catchers, seems like they are usually more all defense or all offense.

Given Pinto latest shoulder woes, I do like having another option besides Fryer/Hermann. While they have said Doumit can catch. I expect that to be on an emergency injury basis only. I honestly dont think he will catch another game in his career.

Bartlett, Kubel, Suzuki... These are all quality end of the bench take a chance on possibly getting good reward type players.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 12-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.

14. These 2 users like Trevor0333's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013), USAFChief (12-13-2013)

I watched him with the Nats. I was disappointed but I wasn't aware of the injuries. Injury would explain it because he didn't look like the same guy.

If he has worked through the injury. This will be a good pickup for us. At least good for anyone that doesn't expect all players to OPS plus .900. Or be worthless.

I think he's tough and we need some tough. He could be a guy that doesn't look like he's helping but helps by improving others around him.

I hope we get him. Roll them dice!
    A lot of it was due to overuse. He caught just under 300 games in 2008-2009 and another 270 in 2010-2011. That's simply a ton of games behind the plate for any catcher.

16. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Blog Entries
    A lot of it was due to overuse. He caught just under 300 games in 2008-2009 and another 270 in 2010-2011. That's simply a ton of games behind the plate for any catcher.
    Yeah... No doubt... And it would lead to a little complacency from the routine-ness of it all.

Good stuff Ben... You are filling in some gaps with stuff that add's up... I've seen two Suzuki's... One good... One So-So... Hopefully... A little dose of "I want to stay in the majors" will bring that good one back.

Let's look at the tape again: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=7431547
    "9. Lipstick"

18. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Yeah... No doubt... And it would lead to a little complacency from the routine-ness of it all.

Good stuff Ben... You are filling in some gaps with stuff that add's up... I've seen two Suzuki's... One good... One So-So... Hopefully... A little dose of "I want to stay in the majors" will bring that good one back.

Let's look at the tape again: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=7431547
    He's been a personal favorite since he came up, so I watched his career closely. I see him akin to a Russell Martin lite. Martin was also abused terribly in the Dodgers days (448 games in 3 seasons along with 1838 plate appearances), and his production at the plate and behind it tailed off. He recovered in his Yankee days, barely cracking 475 PA in each season in New York. Last year in Pittsburgh, he turned in his best defensive season of his career by metrics and his best fWAR since his 2008 season when he was being overused in spite of batting a meddling line of .226/.327/.377 in 2013 at the plate.

20. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    He's actually never been a Mariner (perhaps you're thinking of onetime Seattle closer Kaz Sasaki or a certain right fielder). He came up with the Athletics with a high reputation for handling a staff and holding runners close and surprised the A's with quality seasons at the plate. He's still young in catcher years, and while he won't ever hit .300, he can give you a solid contact guy that will give you .250 batting average with a .700ish OPS. Nothing spectacular, but not horrid for a catcher either. While injuries have taken away his elite defensive abilities, he's still highly touted for handling of pitchers.
    The handling of pitchers sounds like something the Twins need.

22. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

If Pinto is going to be the starter, I prefer Suzuki over Buck. If Pinto is going to be in AAA to start the year, I'd rather have Buck paired with Fryer. Plus I think Suzuki will be slightly cheaper, but I haven't seen any dollar figures tossed around.

24. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nah, i typed the wrong team - thinking Oak and typed Sea. He was an A forever.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I don't care who at this point but they need to bring in a veteran that can catch 60-100 games regardless of Pinto's possible injury. Suzuki and Buck are at the top of my list so hopefully one of them ends up here.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like him about as well as AJ if he can get healthy. He should be a bargain. We might be able to get him on a minor league deal.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He does poorly in the pitch receiving metrics. That probably doesn't matter to the Twins.

Must matter to some teams. Any catcher slightly below average to very good in this metric were signed quickly or moved in the trade market. The guys perennially below average like Buck and Suzuki remain.

It is unfair to put Suzuki with Buck though. While Suzuki is below average, Buck is in Doumit range.

The Twins missed on the catcher market this year. They can't go back. Suzuki is probably the best of what is left.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 12-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I don't care who at this point but they need to bring in a veteran that can catch 60-100 games regardless of Pinto's possible injury. Suzuki and Buck are at the top of my list so hopefully one of them ends up here.
    This I agree with. Pair a solid vet catcher with Pinto, Suzuki is probably the best remaining, especially if he can get over the injury issue and get back to some semblance of his former self.

30. This user likes whatever54's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-20-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I like him about as well as AJ if he can get healthy. He should be a bargain. We might be able to get him on a minor league deal.
    The way catchers have been flying off the board, no way Suzuki is a minor league deal. If we could get him under $5M, I'd grab him. In fact I'd give him a 2-year deal.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

Or you could've been thinking of http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ohjike01.shtml

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast