Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do at DH?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had hoped they would let Willingham go in August to the Orioles and found someone this winter that can play defense.

Keeping him only makes sense if he has trade value midseason. All of his value tied to his bat and health. The DH role gives the best hope of maximizing his value.

There doesn't appear to be a good solution for outfield defense on opening day, but Buxton and Hicks are close. Rosario would have been also.

The Twins have Arcia. They now have Kubel. They have Parmelee. In the wings they have Mastro and Ramirez as fodder. Presley will start in centerfield. They have Hicks in line for a promotion. They have Rosario in the mix. Of course, Buxton looms big. Kepler is at least one year out.

Willingham needs to play the field if the Twins want to show any value in the guy. Depending on the team's overall season, he is trade bait, be it coming out of spring training, at the deadline, or before September rosters are set. He does not figure into the Twins plans in 2015 and beyond. Surely not.

He will also be looking for a bigger payday on his next round of free agency and WANTS to make himself as valuable as possible, by being a fielder (National League contract) and a slugger.

If Ryan gets results and plays it smart, he has some nice trading chips in Willingham, Correia, not to mention any of a number of bullpen arms like Burton, Swarzak, especially Duensing, maybe Diamond and Worley that could ALL go and not really hurt the team, no matter if they are good or bad in 2014. Hicks can replace Willingham. Gibson or May can repalce Correia. We have too many guys in the bullpen and Tonkin will be in the wings, as will Achter and Oliveros and Guerra and maybe Johnson and Albers.

I'm getting excited about the Twins in 2014. Really am! Maybe buy that season ticket package so I can also spend a grand on a couple of All-Star game packages.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    If Ryan gets results and plays it smart, he has some nice trading chips in Willingham, Correia, not to mention any of a number of bullpen arms like Burton, Swarzak, especially Duensing, maybe Diamond and Worley that could ALL go and not really hurt the team, no matter if they are good or bad in 2014. Hicks can replace Willingham. Gibson or May can repalce Correia. We have too many guys in the bullpen and Tonkin will be in the wings, as will Achter and Oliveros and Guerra and maybe Johnson and Albers.
    I agree with you. Trader Terry First Scout has some trading chips. I'm hoping Correia goes out the back door, as Arroyo comes in the front. I actually like the idea of Florimon playing next to Sano, but I'm guessing SS with be addressed prior to 2015. Also, I think Brock first mentioned, there could be a 24 month gap between Meyer and our next top starting pitching prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see this gap addressed a la Gilmartin.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Willingham needs to DH.

If he plays the field, he will do so as the bottom LF. His ability to play LF isn't going to change if he DHs. Teams know what they will get from him in the field. Playing DH doesn't decrease his value. His lack of range in LF decreases his value. His value is all bat.

Benefits to playing DH...

- Willingham is more likely to remain healthy. He has no value injured.

- The pitching staff will have better defense behind them resulting in better numbers and better value.

The problem is that with Willingham on the roster the twins did nothing to try to find a LF. They don't have a good solution to play that position until Buxton and Hicks or Rosario are ready.

5. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-21-2013)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want to see Plouffe and Parmelee getting as many at bats as possible to see if one of them can earn the DH job for the next wave. I'd rather them not go out and sign someone here until we know for certain if either of them can do it.

Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Willingham needs to play LF... Just for trade value alone. I wouldn't move Willingham right now for a few reasons.

1. Willingham's trade value is low right now. If he rebounds to just normal numbers for Willingham... His trade value improves in July.

2. If the Twins are going to be successful... He is the most legit power source on this club. Willingham rebounding would be a needed thing for this club.

3. If the Twins are not going to be successful... Willingham rebounding is a trade chip to contending club.

4. If Willingham is a potential trade chip down the line... Being positioned as a LF instead of a DH increases the trade options and therefore value.

5. If Willingham doesn't rebound... none of this matters... His trade value and value to us will be insignificant. Just let his contract run out and move on.

Willingham can and should DH on occasion... but I think Kubel is the most logical DH option as the roster stands right now.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-21-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would sign Jeff Baker and rotate the DH. He has a career .875 OPS against lefties, can play all four corners and second base.

Parmelee starts against righties, allowing Willingham, Arcia or Mauer to DH. Baker starts against lefties, allowing Plouffe, Willingham, Arcia or Mauer to DH.

Baker would also be nice to have off the bench. Could serve as a pinch hitter in key situations and is versatile on defense.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Actually it is the opposite, if you sign Pelfrey who had a horrible .337 BABIP because of the likes of Willingham and Doumit and Parmelee & Co in the corner OF positions, you got to get rid of them to make your team successful... Am I missing something here?
    yes, they have no offense. If you are not playing your second or third best offensive player, why sign a stop gap pitcher?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley, Hicks, Arcia in OF with Willingham at DH/4th OF would be best, especially during Hughes turn in the Rotation.

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    yes, they have no offense. If you are not playing your second or third best offensive player, why sign a stop gap pitcher?
    True, their defense last year at Third and Left field sucked badly. It's a great to offer such an opportunity to right handed pull hitters. there's a limit as to how much you can sacrifice defense for offense, especially when your two biggest liabilities are on the same side of the field. How many players can you trot out who can hit OK, but can't field worth a damn? Twins have defensive options in the outfield, but zero every day options at third outside of Plouffe. Sano might have a cup of coffee with the hug league club in 2014, but can't be relied upon this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    I think Josh Willingham should be the DH. I feel it makes the team better by hopefully upgrading the defense in the outfield and keeping Willingham healthy. Playing LF doesn't do anything for his trade value for me, although I am not an MLB GM. Josh Willingham will be 35 when the season starts. Scouts and GMs should know what kind of defense they will get out of Willingham, just like we all know what kind of defense David Ortiz would play at first base.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I want the Twins to do and what they will do are 2 different things. I want them to sign Cruz and Drew or at least Drew. with Cruz in the fold, DH can be alternated by Arcia, Willingham, Cruz, and Kubel as there would now be 4 players for 3 spots in the line up. Willingham and Kubel are most likely the odd men out in most cases.

I just read that the Twins have the money for both players but are hiding behind the need for the draft picks.

People are forgetting Buxton's role in all this. There is a pretty good chance that he is ready for a post-All-Star break callup, at which point our primary (and pretty good fielding) outfield should be Hicks/Buxton/Arcia.

I would probably let the Hammer play left early this season and hope he plays more like 2012 than 2013. His trade in July makes room for Buxton. Pressley or Mastro serve as the 4th outfielder, with Kubel as the 5th/emergency OF.

By summer, the combination of Plouffe, Parmelee and Colabello will be whittled down to a single bench bat/corner IF position. Probably Plouffe. Finding room in the OF for any of these guys is silly.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I don't know, you think there is a pretty good chance a guy that has not played above A ball will be up by July? You think Hicks is a legit starter? I don't know about either of those being true. But if they are, then surely Hammer should be the DH....
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't know, you think there is a pretty good chance a guy that has not played above A ball will be up by July? You think Hicks is a legit starter? I don't know about either of those being true. But if they are, then surely Hammer should be the DH....
    I think Willie Mays will be up sometime after All-Star break and Hicks will be a long time member of our favorite team's core. Hammer will be traded at the deadline and we will be arguing over whether we received a big enough haul.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really doubt that Buxton will see the majors before the rosters are expanded. The questions are whether Hicks will be able to reclaim center field in the first half of the season. Then the question would be whether Presley or Mastroianni (or Parmelee or perhaps Plouffe) would be manning the corners. I do expect Hammer to be moved, unless he Twins roll boxcars on all of their question marks and contend.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    It's pointless to base a decision on who should be the #1 DH (and who is in the OF) based on a hypothetical of the promotion of a minor league player in the Summer. The season starts in April. Personally, I would be very surprised if Buxton was in a Twins uniform in 2014.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 275 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A more likely scenario is Sano being promoted, Plouffe moving to right field, Arcia to left and Willingham to a DH platoon with Kubel, or traded. In the unlikely event Buxton makes it up here, it will have no bearing on the DH position.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    willingham won't be the small part of a platoon. If Sano is promoted Plouffe and Kubel would likely platoon and Willingham would move between LF and DH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12