Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adios Chris (Colabello)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts

Adios Chris (Colabello)

apperently Chris Colabello is headed to the far east for about 1 million dollars, the Twins are trying to sell him to KBO to clear a roster spot for Kurt Suzuki. Hey Cola , good luck , im glad your getting a chance at a good payday , I also hope you rake over there,and if you see any good pitchers , give Terry a call will ya?
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 12-21-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I can't imagine the payday is that good although I imagine he will get paid higher than the MLB min if the posting fee is 1M. I think Chris could be pretty successful in the Korea (or Japan). I'm not so sure about the MLB but he seems like a type that could put up some big numbers against AA/AAA competition.

I don't disagree with this move but I find it ironic that TR is basically selling a player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    The story
    http://sports.news.naver.com/sports/..._id=0002679898

The headline

LG, “외인타자 콜라벨로 리스트에만 있다”

기사입력 2013-12-21
    14:02

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely a strange 1 a.m. on a Friday night story, for sure. Kind of comes out of nowhere. It is something that happens, but Colabello just got his big league taste, so he might want to try to stick. Or, he might be able to go to Korea and cash in, which you couldn't blame him either. He would have to OK the move, so I'm curious how this plays out.

5. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-21-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    It would have been in the afternoon in Korea. KBO pays foreign players a max of $300,000. Better than AAA pay, but that is not cashing in

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    If he rakes for a whole season (and I would expect him to do so) he can probably come back and sign an MLB contract for about 1-2M I would guess? On a poor/average team, you could do a lot worse than play him as your 1B, or platoon him there or in the OF. I honestly think he would hit .320 with some power in an MLB platoon.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It would have been in the afternoon in Korea. KBO pays foreign players a max of $300,000. Better than AAA pay, but that is not cashing in
    How about signing bonus? Incentives? Perks? Could that number flesh out a bit?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sad, not angry. Colabello's is a nice story. He got to play major league baseball after being passed over for years. He just couldn't hit at the mlb level at least in a part-time role. Best wishes to him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    It's surprising that they would pay 1M when the max salary is only 300K.

I don't think it's likely that Colabello comes back and is able to sign a guaranteed MLB contract. It's more likely that he goes to Japan if he is able to. 1+M is not uncommon for foreigners there.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is Youk going to make? I realize he's going to Japan, but I thought I saw something saying he was going to get $5-7M.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He really wasn't terrible in his first attempt in the MLB. He was older when he came up but he was still a rookie. There is still a learning curve when it comes to hitting MLB pitching. I Really hope they let him stick around I would prefer they don't add anyone else and drop Fryer. We don't need him on the 40 man at this time and his contract is ridiculous anyway so I don't think anyone would take that.

I did the Google translation on the article. It looks like he is on a list of players for consideration, but nothing concrete just yet....The translation was pretty fun to read. Ya'll should try it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Max ammount is the money as they had a salary cap from what I read. Perks like a place to stay, transportation and entertainment I am not sure about.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    What is Youk going to make? I realize he's going to Japan, but I thought I saw something saying he was going to get $5-7M.
    Japan has deeper pockets.

Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    My understanding from other articles is KB is "relaxing" the rules a bit for foreign players. Allowing teams to expand how many foreign players they can take, and additional compensation on top of the max 300,000 salary.

Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTwinsFan View Post
    I did the Google translation on the article. It looks like he is on a list of players for consideration, but nothing concrete just yet....The translation was pretty fun to read. Ya'll should try it.
    Good advice. If Collabello doesn't leave for Korea, "Coke bellow" might become a new knick name.

Liked 351 Times in 200 Posts
    For those of us who prefer English, Berardino did a nice summary:

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...aded-to-korea/

It was only in 2010 that they sold Keppel's contract? These last 3 years have been reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to that last article, Colabello would have to approve it. Can't tell if this was his idea or the Twins' idea.

I'd be a little sad to see him go, as someone else posted above, I think he can have a measure of success in MLB. Get the right splits and he would be one of the Twins better hitters, at least for now. I wouldn't be surprised for him to hit .280+ and 15HR+ in about 380-420 ABs, though maybe just a hopeful ceiling, but that was my thought. Although, I kinda thought Parmalee could put up somewhat similar (a little lower) numbers - and that doesn't look like it'll happen.

Has there been another offseason where it seems the Twins are so active? Maybe I just can't remember the other offseasons that well.

Is Plouffe safe?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Youk - $2MM signing bonus, $2MM salary, $1MM incentives

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...-youkilis.html

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Is Plouffe safe?
    Yes - for now at 3B. After Sano comes, as a corner OF or Super Utility. As for next year - not if he doesn't improve.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast