Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adios Chris (Colabello)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    He really wasn't terrible in his first attempt in the MLB. He was older when he came up but he was still a rookie. There is still a learning curve when it comes to hitting MLB pitching. I Really hope they let him stick around I would prefer they don't add anyone else and drop Fryer. We don't need him on the 40 man at this time and his contract is ridiculous anyway so I don't think anyone would take that.
    If you are referring to Fryar's contract, he is making close to the major league minimum. While he is not expected to make the 25 man roster out of spring training, he will be at Rochester filling a catching need there. He will also be able to be called up if Pinto or Suzuki struggles at the major league level. Yes, Fryer is not a long term solution to the catching situation. He was never meant to be. He is a short term emergency backup plan to get through the season if something happens to Pinto or Suzuki.

Colabello was in a similar position. He was brought into the system to fill Morneau's place in the short term if he struggled. First base is essentially filled everyday for the next 4-5 years now with Mauer. He will play full time. There will be few at bats available from 1st base for anyone other than Mauer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fryer is valuable in a role of working with pitchers in Rochester. I am not sure the Twins would lose him if they took him off the 40, but I do think he has more value to the organization that Colabello.

Vargas and Hicks are both at an age where they need to be playing AAA and AA next year. With Mauer's move to first, Colabello is squeezed at both ends.

3. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-21-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Colabello is squeezed at both ends.
    That's got to be painful!

5. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (12-21-2013), USAFChief (12-21-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with both of you. Thanks for changing my mind! My thought process was Colabello could DH platoon with Kubel/Parmelee/Arcia or Pinch hit. I think his bat could play in the majors and would like to see him stick around on this continent. I wonder if we have tried to shop him around the league.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 93 Times in 55 Posts
    I read the headline and thought it was Parmelee, nuts, it's the other Chris.

8. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (12-22-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It would have been in the afternoon in Korea. KBO pays foreign players a max of $300,000. Better than AAA pay, but that is not cashing in
    I did not know that , so the Twins get 1 million and the player only gets paid 300,000?
    I expected Chris to go to Japan where he could earn a nice 1-2 million dollar payday,
    well nice concidering last year he earned about 250,000 between the majors and AAA

It would be great for Colabello, cashing in on his Twins season and maybe making $300,000+. Yes, he could do similar here if called up for an extended amount of time. I think if the Twins "sell" him, they still retain some control over him if he comes back here. Not sure how all of that really does work (if he needs to go thru waivers now or then). After toiling in the indy leagues forever at modest pay, and spending two seasons with the Twins on a minor league contract (he got a bump when added to the 40-man).

Youklis is a different story. Japan pays more. Lot less than he made here. He might be a king over there for the next few years. He wanted to be closer to home, but they will treat him like a king and he can bring his family along and spend a season in Japan, which is a great experience for the family. He wasn't getting any deals from the teams he favored, it seemed.

Back to Colabello. He was a GREAT story, but will be pushed by Vargas and Hicks in the minors, and Parmelee is still around in the majors (does Parmlee have another option, or is he out this year). You can find an AAA replacement part. So it is money in the Twins bank.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    The sad thing is , we wont really know what his ceiling could have been, Once Justin was traded, Colabello should have been in the line up every day , a 1 month try out, make or break , but when you are jacked around as much as Cola was last year is a bit harder to show what you can do ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post

Back to Colabello. He was a GREAT story, but will be pushed by Vargas and Hicks in the minors, and Parmelee is still around in the majors (does Parmlee have another option, or is he out this year). You can find an AAA replacement part. So it is money in the Twins bank.
    Chris is the odd man out--somebody has to go from 40 man and it is him. He is competing with Parmalee, Kubel, Willingham and Kubel (and Plouffe when Sano comes up) for 2 spots DH and RF/LF (Arcia has one.) Vargas has spot at Rochester. Too many bodies and Chris is 30 years old.

Go to asia and take the money and run.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe a player has to clear waivers (if under team control) to be sold internationally. I also believe that there is a gentleman's agreement between the MLB teams that if you have a deal in place to sell a player, that other teams won't claim him.

Regardless, once you sell a player's rights, you have no ties to him if he ever chooses to return.

My take: If it comes to the point where the Twins are looking to sell him, he'll at least want to explore his opportunities here first (i.e. - be placed on waivers and if he cleared, then be sold).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I think this shows the Twins are already convinced the holes in Colabello's swing can not be fixed. With Doumit also gone, the bench/DH options once again look to be completely left handed.

If the KBO follows through with this I wish Chris good luck.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-21-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Chris is the odd man out--somebody has to go from 40 man and it is him. He is competing with Parmalee, Kubel, Willingham and Kubel (and Plouffe when Sano comes up) for 2 spots DH and RF/LF (Arcia has one.) Vargas has spot at Rochester. Too many bodies and Chris is 30 years old.
    Go to asia and take the money and run.

Neither Vargas or D.J. Hicks has played above A Ball. I doubt if either will begin the year at Rochester. They won't block anyone at AAA to begin the year.

One of the problems for older, largely non-prospect guys like Colabello is that if you get a major league opportunity, like Colabello did, you have to take advantage of it. It may have been a short one, and he may have been jerked around a bit, but it was likely the only major league opportunity he is going to get. He has holes in his swing, is position challenged and when he didn't hit that well in his major league chance, ah well. At least he got a chance.

16. These 2 users like Jim H's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (12-21-2013), stringer bell (12-21-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    I would like to see some kind of RH bench option, but what the hell. CC could be very productive in Asia. IIRC, at least in Japan the pitchers are known to be shy about pitching inside. Don't know if that applies to the Korean's as well. If so, it could be CC's wet dream. A chance to extend his arms and go deep oppo is exactly what he is looking for at the plate.

Financially, I guess it all comes down to whether or not he thinks he can stick with a major league team. $300k is better than a AAA salary, but falls well short of the MLB $500k minimum.

As for the Rochester 1B gig, I agree that it won't be Vargas or Hicks. We do have several other options on hand already though. Debinson Romero, Reynaldo Rodriguez, the new Indy guy we just signed and even Sano could all end up there. Did Clement stay with the Twins or did he go elsewhere as a FA? Not sure that CC in AAA this spring would be blocking anyone, but he needs to cash in while he still can given his late entry into the affiliated ranks.
    Last edited by mudcat14; 12-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello is a great story and I really pull for guys like him.

I spend time thinking about each player as an individual human story... I don't think about Colabello as a batting average or a set of stats. I think about Colabello as a guy who is trying to forge a career and I try to imagine what it would mean to me if I was in a similar circumstance. After all... We are... most of us... in similar circumstances... Just different careers. We can relate to trying to get somewhere in life in our chosen profession.

I really do try to think about what it means to him... To his family... to all that are pulling for him. That's why I get upset with guys with talent who don't give it everything they have.

There are many who never get that chance to swing a bat in the majors and hoping with all their heart to get that chance and even fewer who get that chance and do lock down an every day job in the majors.

I pull for Colabello I really do... He has legitimate... no doubt... plus power... But... with all that said... I'm a patient guy... but... I just can't see him being successful against the Major League Pitcher with his approach at the plate. Pitchers of Major League Talent will easily keep busting him inside as he strides out for the outside pitch.

He has to change his approach to be able to turn on a pitch and fully utilize that plus power.

Korea or Japan would be a better place for him in my opinion.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

19. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-21-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This has to be good for Deibinson Romero's chances at getting a serious look for a bench spot. And I would take Romero over Colabello.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    If this is true then I am bummed. I really thought the Twins might have caught lightning in a bottle with CC. With Mauer at First though there really isn't a good spot for him. I was hoping the Twins might be able to work out a trade with Houston or somebody for him at the very least. The way he played in AAA made me a believer. I think he can adjust to MLB but it appears I am in the minority here.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    This has to be good for Deibinson Romero's chances at getting a serious look for a bench spot. And I would take Romero over Colabello.
    There are several of you prospect guru's that make statements like this about Romero. What do you see that I don't? He has never dominated any level, is not considered a good defender, and even as he has gotten closer to the majors, has been consistently outperformed by guys like Colabello and Parmelee. To me, he looks like he isn't even a AAAA kind of player.

This doesn't mean I am right. I am curious what you guys are seeing that I am not.

23. These 2 users like Jim H's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (12-21-2013), stringer bell (12-21-2013)

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello refused to play to Korea. Back to step 1. They still need a spot on the 40 man roster and it might be Fryer
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Im guessing Terry Ryan offered Colabello in a trade to any team (with the return being any warm body) but no team took him up on it because they know the Twins are in a numbers crunch and could probably pick him off on a waiver claim.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 275 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he'll be DFAed at this point.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast