Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Hearing Much About Worley

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The problem is that, as of now, the Twins have pushed Gibson to AAA and at least one, maybe two, of Worley, Diamond, and Deduno to the brink of DFA.

This situation would feel better if they could find a hole for Correia to fall into.
    Our favorite team has the too much starting pitching disease. Who is accountable for blocking Gibson, Worley, Diamond, and Deduno from being our stellar starting rotation come 2014?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that, as of now, the Twins have pushed Gibson to AAA and at least one, maybe two, of Worley, Diamond, and Deduno to the brink of DFA.

This situation would feel better if they could find a hole for Correia to fall into.
    In time. It's tough to jettison the guy who led your starting staff in innings pitched and WAR last year. Especially if he's cheap. When they jettison him, it will be because Gibson and/or Meyer are better. It won't be because Diamond or Worley are better. They will eat innings in spring training. One might make the bullpen, the other will get DFAed. And so it goes. Yawn.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    It's ironic, but the Twins may end up trading an opening day Starter during the season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    If he can't get into shape for a new team and pitching coach, when he is basically given the ball on Opening Day, it doesn't bode well for his career. That says something about his competitiveness. We expected to get Vanimal, and we got Goo-animal.
    I agree. I was very disappointed with him. It will all play itself out.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    If you're not used to the weight in that area of your body, it almost has to throw off your balance and mechanics, right? Couple that with some injury concerns and maybe some poor luck and I think he has the opportunity to bounce back. But don't discount his physique.
    I seem to remember reading that there was some evidence that being overweight was beneficial to pitchers in terms of durability.... not sure if there was ever a conclusion on that though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Worley's "high BABIP" was caused by an overall lack of ability and not by being "unlucky". I fully expect Ryan to give another "shot" in the rotation to try to justify last year's trade of Revere. But there are sooo many others battling for a spot in the rotation, that Worley's leash will be much shorter than last year--I'm guessing 5 starts maximum. If last year's results are duplicated, he will be waived.

7. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-23-2013)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    It's ironic, but the Twins may end up trading an opening day Starter during the season.
    KC has a history for starting out strong. I'm kind of hoping Ryan will be able to find someone who needs to jump the gun on pitching and unload him in June for a Sulbarran type spec... I'm probably asking too much for the spec, but then again I never thought we'd get someone like that for Butera.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Or, before the season begins. How about packaging Deduno, Worley, Duensing, or Swarzak for a shortstop?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I invoke the Duensing Rule.

11. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AScheib50 (12-24-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Or, before the season begins. How about packaging Deduno, Worley, Duensing, or Swarzak for a shortstop?
    Ok sounds good, now which shortstop?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    If Turner is not a fit in the 2014 draft, my guess is you're looking at some combination of Berrois, Thorpe, Polanco, or Kepler. Our SS of the future is going to cost a lot more that players we no longer want. I like Drew for 3 years, possibly Starlin Castro, and I understand Arizona has 2 SS's who are major league ready. Most likely it will be someone most of us have never heard of, but I can't envision Ryan heading back to semi-retirement without addressing our SS of the future.

I keep telling myself the same, that the Twins have to package these out-of-option guys. BUT, and it is a BIG BUT, the trading team needs to have space for these guys and enough faith that they will make the roster that they will trade for them. Give up two of our out-of-option players for another player, probably a minor league prospect (or two). But can another team spare the space. Right now, the Twins have to hope for some sort of recovery, or the possibility that they can clear waivers AND still stay in the Twins organization. At some point, the player, if they clear waivers, can go out and look for another job on their own. It's a tough situation to be in and the Twins will probably end up designating more plays (similar to Hendriks) and actually lose them BECAUSE if you you designated, probably no place for you in this organization, so anywheres else is probably a must. Ultimately don't care if the player stinks elsewhere, and we probably shouldn't care anyways. You take the best 25, options be damned. And hope that you have enough in reserve so this 26th or 41st guy really isn't a missing concern. Of, they are replaceable. There are similar guys on every team that you patch in as reserves at AAA in case someone goes down and you need more roster fodder, with hopefully the "reserves" on your current roster stepping into fulltime play with the fodder being just bench guy. And, remember, if a Bartlett or a Kubel make the roster, someone will have to go. Spring Training is the time for these guys to shine to stay with the Twins OR find any other MAJOR LEAGUE job.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rather than one big deal, I foresee Ryan making a series of small trades a la the Doumit deal. Trading a pitcher who has had success in the recent past (like Diamond and Worley) should net a decent prospect. If Ryan plays his cards right, he can get guys not yet on the 40-man and also have 40-man space for possible promotions of Myer, Sano and the like.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Rather than one big deal, I foresee Ryan making a series of small trades a la the Doumit deal. Trading a pitcher who has had success in the recent past (like Diamond and Worley) should net a decent prospect. If Ryan plays his cards right, he can get guys not yet on the 40-man and also have 40-man space for possible promotions of Myer, Sano and the like.
    With Baltimore looking to trade there catcher or Shortstop to clear payroll space , how about bringing JJ Hardy back? If he plays for us , maybe he will resign with us ?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Our favorite team has the too much starting pitching disease. Who is accountable for blocking Gibson, Worley, Diamond, and Deduno from being our stellar starting rotation come 2014?
    By that logic we should just cut Hicks and give Pinto a 7 year deal worth tens of millions. You preach (I'll use that word, though I have another in mind) all the time about the future. Being impatient with four guys (all who could legitimately site injuries as a cause for their issues last year - which means, lots of upside if healthy) would be fine if we were passing them over for, say, Grienke or even Nolasco. But for Correia? That's short-sighted and not good for the long-term.

The Twins needed to, and did, make the present better. But they can't do to Gibson what they've done to Parmelee and others. We need to know what, if any, role Gibson plays in the future. We won't find that out with him stuck in AAA.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 12-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    In time. It's tough to jettison the guy who led your starting staff in innings pitched and WAR last year. Especially if he's cheap. When they jettison him, it will be because Gibson and/or Meyer are better. It won't be because Diamond or Worley are better. They will eat innings in spring training. One might make the bullpen, the other will get DFAed. And so it goes. Yawn.
    In time for who? Gibson needs to pitch in the big leagues and it shouldn't be by yo-yo to AAA for injuries. And, if that was necessary, it damn sure shouldn't be for the likes of Correia.

19. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (12-23-2013)

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins need to be around a .500 team. You need to sell tickets to keep the money coming in. Gibson will be here once we see if he can be consistent and dominate with control and stuff at AAA. Repeats of last year are not needed. I think Gibson will be fine. Whether he will make the club out of spring training is a question. Worley will factor into these decisions, best guess is he will be traded or waived at the end of spring training.

21. This user likes beckmt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (12-26-2013)

Blog Entries
    By that logic we should just cut Hicks and give Pinto a 7 year deal worth tens of millions.
    I don't know where you took logic, but I suggest you get your money back. In logic, the conclusion should follow from the premises with no additional assumptions. I can't even begin to fill in all the assumptions it would take to make those conclusions follow from your interlocutor's premises.

Blog Entries
    In time for who? Gibson needs to pitch in the big leagues and it shouldn't be by yo-yo to AAA for injuries. And, if that was necessary, it damn sure shouldn't be for the likes of Correia.
    You have to earn your way in this game. Last year's audition showed that Gibson still has some stuff to work on. A few months in AAA won't hurt him. It probably will help him. The worst thing that could happen at this stage is to give him the job and let him fail again. If he dominates in AAA, they'll make room for him.

24. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (12-26-2013)

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    With Baltimore looking to trade there catcher or Shortstop to clear payroll space , how about bringing JJ Hardy back? If he plays for us , maybe he will resign with us ?
    I would be for this. I'm a big JJ Hardy fan
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast