Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Hearing Much About Worley

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

Not Hearing Much About Worley

Has he recovered from the arm woes that allegedly lead to his demise last season? Unlike his stint with the Twins, his AAA numbers weren't terrible in a limited role. What are the odds on his having a big bounce back year?

The real question is does he still have that tire wrapped around his waste?

3. These 2 users like Marta Shearing's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (12-23-2013), Tibs (12-23-2013)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parker did a good analysis on why he regressed so much. Much of it hinged on the fact that he was really unlucky on BABIP with the Twins. Righties hit over .400 against him when they made contact. Lefties we're not far behind. Some of that was not surprising considering his LD% against. As Bert likes to say, he left a lot of balls up last year. But his numbers have to regress to the mean. He was better than his numbers and could be a useful player in 2014. Unfortunately, he's a long shot to make the team and he's out of options, so...
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He threw the same straight 88-90 mph fastball over & over and got crushed.

I don't have much hope for him & think he will be dfa'd after ST.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Are you suggesting his poor performance was due to a lack of fitness? He can look like he swallowed a basketball for all I care, as long as his arm is in good shape and he gets batters out.

I think Worley is the 5th starter out of ST and has a good chance at contributing next season.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    David Wells says Hi.

8. These 2 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-23-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-24-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Are you suggesting his poor performance was due to a lack of fitness? He can look like he swallowed a basketball for all I care, as long as his arm is in good shape and he gets batters out.

I think Worley is the 5th starter out of ST and has a good chance at contributing next season.
    If you're not used to the weight in that area of your body, it almost has to throw off your balance and mechanics, right? Couple that with some injury concerns and maybe some poor luck and I think he has the opportunity to bounce back. But don't discount his physique.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I don't think the FO has any faith in Diamond/Deduno/Worley since they have signed 3 starters already and they are still talking to FA starters. I wouldn't be surprised if the Worley/Deduno injuries are more serious than have been reported in the media.

11. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (12-23-2013)

I agree with this. He is too young to just jettison. He had a bad year and had some injury concerns going into that year. I agree that Worley will be the #5 coming out of ST and then they can evaluate him until Deduna is "ready" to pitch after his injury.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with you Kab. I keep hammering on Deduno because of his injury and only one successful year in the MLB. When you're a marginal MLB talent and have an injury it isn't too hard to go from marginal to horrible. We saw it with Worley and Diamond last season. I'm not counting on any contribution from those 3 going forward. In fact, I'd love to never see any starts from them in a Twins uniform again. I know that isn't going to happen, but the less marginal pitchers that get starts the better IMO.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'm with you Kab. I keep hammering on Deduno because of his injury and only one successful year in the MLB. When you're a marginal MLB talent and have an injury it isn't too hard to go from marginal to horrible. We saw it with Worley and Diamond last season. I'm not counting on any contribution from those 3 going forward. In fact, I'd love to never see any starts from them in a Twins uniform again. I know that isn't going to happen, but the less marginal pitchers that get starts the better IMO.
    Disagree. I want whoever is best long term to be in a Twins Uniform. The jury is still out, we do not really know if these guys are better or worse than Correia, Pelfrey, or even Hughes. We have some good clues from advanced stats but we really do not KNOW​ who will be best.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Deduno has succeeded twice now and he is dominant when he pitches his issue is with control so losing a little probably won't hurt his effectiveness as much as not being able to control where he throws it. If healthy he will be the 5th starter if not he'll be on the DL.

Being in shape cant hurt, but I dont hold it against him. I hope he wins the 5th starter job. I always liked the legendary Rick Reuschel. Dude could deal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Someone on TD did a breakdown of the 2012 FA pitchers, and the results were basically a crapshoot. High upside here, but injury concerns/inconsistent or low-ceiling, but eats innings. Basically, the conclusion was that acquiring more FA and having a surplus is the best way to insure getting production. Aside from Sanchez and Grienke we all would have been wrong about FA targets last year. Getting 3 guys to add to Correia and the rest is a good thing. In all reality, Nolasco should be a #3 on a good team, Hughes has #2 potential (but likely a #4 guy) and Correia and Pelfrey are #4 or #5's. All that said, Gibson and Meyer should be given every opportunity to make the club out of ST. Gibson is now 2 years removed from TJ and may be able to start climbing towards that #2-3 billing. Meyer has the potential to be an ace. He's dominant when healthy and if 2014 is a "get to .500" year and 2015 is a "let's win the division" year, then Meyer would be best off being a part of the 2014 rotation at least by June. Don't hold the talent back (if producing) just because we can. We have likely seen the best of Diamond. Even if he could do it again, he may not be better than Gibson or Meyer. Deduno at his best is VERY GOOD. Worley is still young and deserves a shot, but not at the expense of blocking Meyer and Gibson.

18. This user likes Siehbiscuit's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (12-23-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    Disagree. I want whoever is best long term to be in a Twins Uniform. The jury is still out, we do not really know if these guys are better or worse than Correia, Pelfrey, or even Hughes. We have some good clues from advanced stats but we really do not KNOW​ who will be best.
    It's not that Deduno/Worley/Diamond are worthless it's that the Twins have indicated (3 FA signings) that they aren't optimistic about them being effective next year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Deduno has succeeded twice now and he is dominant when he pitches his issue is with control so losing a little probably won't hurt his effectiveness as much as not being able to control where he throws it. If healthy he will be the 5th starter if not he'll be on the DL.
    This. I share concerns about his shoulder. The main thing there was he had pitched more innings than in his entire career and he just overdid it, causing the injury. He pitched with it for a month before they shut him down. He had it cleaned out, is pain free now and should actually be throwing better come spring training, if you believe the reports. Anyway, let's see him pitch in spring training before we declare that the injury will affect him. When he was healthy, he was one of the better pitchers in the league. There is simply no comparison between him and Worley.

Some have suggested that Deduno is "injury prone" because he had two injuries last year. The first injury was a groin pull suffered in the championship game of the WBC, when the field conditions were way worse than anything you'll see teams play through in the MLB. He suffered the injury in the third inning and pitched through the fifth in pain, keeping Puerto Rico off the board. I would argue he should have been the MVP of the tournament based on that and the other games he started.

Worley is the second coming of Nick Blackburn, who is only as good as his sinker. And we all saw how fickle that pitch was. Worley was more consistent with it last year, in the sense that he never got it to sink. It was consistently awful. So it was one belt-high two seamer after another. His OPS against was over 1.000. That's batting practice. I haven't written him off. But he is an extreme long shot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Parker did a good analysis on why he regressed so much. Much of it hinged on the fact that he was really unlucky on BABIP with the Twins. Righties hit over .400 against him when they made contact. Lefties we're not far behind. Some of that was not surprising considering his LD% against. As Bert likes to say, he left a lot of balls up last year. But his numbers have to regress to the mean. He was better than his numbers and could be a useful player in 2014. Unfortunately, he's a long shot to make the team and he's out of options, so...
    I don't think he was unlucky with his BABIP with the Twins. I think he was injured, out of shape, and pitched very poorly. That's not the type of pitcher I expect Worley to be though.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I'm sure it has been a tough couple of years for Worley. He was sitting on top of the world after the 2011 season. 11-3 with a 3.01 era on the team with the best record in baseball.

I remember listening to him after the trade and he sounded like he just needed a fresh start after a difficult 2012 season. I'm sure he thought that a new team in a pitcher friendly park would fix his problems and he could get back to what he accomplished in 2011. As was mentioned, we really haven't heard anything about Worley. this is the time of year where we see some reports about how hard he is working out, about how he has lost 30 pounds and is in the best shape of his life.

Do we have someone working on such an article? I'm sure he still believes he can get back to where he was 2 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I don't think he was unlucky with his BABIP with the Twins. I think he was injured, out of shape, and pitched very poorly. That's not the type of pitcher I expect Worley to be though.
    If he can't get into shape for a new team and pitching coach, when he is basically given the ball on Opening Day, it doesn't bode well for his career. That says something about his competitiveness. We expected to get Vanimal, and we got Goo-animal.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Worley is still young and deserves a shot, but not at the expense of blocking Meyer and Gibson.
    The problem is that, as of now, the Twins have pushed Gibson to AAA and at least one, maybe two, of Worley, Diamond, and Deduno to the brink of DFA.

This situation would feel better if they could find a hole for Correia to fall into.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast