Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Tonkin

Michael Tonkin

Height/Weight: 6' 7", 220 lb.
    Position: RHP
    Born: November 19, 1989 in Palmdale, California, US (Age 22)
    Drafted: 2008 30th round out of Palmdale HS
    Stats: Baseball Reference, MiLB.Com This year: 5 G, 9.1 IP, 2-0, 0.96 ERA, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB, 10 K, 0.964 WHIP, .206 BAA
    Rankings: Baseball America has him at #30

Summery: Known for being Jason Kubel's brother in law. In 2008 I said that there was 1 big sleeper in that draft and it was Michael Tonkin(I hung around the ESPN boards at the time). He was rated as a top 100 prospect by many news outlets but fell to the 30th round because of him being raw and many thought he was a hard sign away from USC(Here's his draft profile). We signed him for $230,000 and it's been worth every penny(I know, I'm really proud of myself for being right about a late round guy, it doesn't happen much). As a ground ball guy with a big fastball he could become a very good setup guy or a closer(best case).

Positives: He's a big framed guy with a good fastball(around 95 MPH from what I've heard), After his move to the bullpen his strikeout totals have been really good, his control seems pretty good with decently low walks, he doesn't really give up home runs.

Concerns: He's been hittable athough it doesn't affect his ERA, It looks as though he's figured some things out but guys as tall as Tonkin tend to have trouble with their mechanics

Since my first post Michael has pitched in 2 games and 3 innings. The most recent was 2 innings of perfect ball with 1 K. This brought his ERA down to 0.73 on the season with 12 K in 12.1 Innings to only 2 BB. BAA is down to .182. With only 1 run given up all season in one bad inning I think it's time to look at Tonkin as a closer candidate. Corey Williams is the current closer and while a top prospect he has given up 5 runs in 9 innings. I'd give it to Tonkin although I'm bias.....

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    Since my first post Michael has pitched in 2 games and 3 innings. The most recent was 2 innings of perfect ball with 1 K. This brought his ERA down to 0.73 on the season with 12 K in 12.1 Innings to only 2 BB. BAA is down to .182. With only 1 run given up all season in one bad inning I think it's time to look at Tonkin as a closer candidate. Corey Williams is the current closer and while a top prospect he has given up 5 runs in 9 innings. I'd give it to Tonkin although I'm bias.....
    Tonkin and Achter should be the next 2 guys to get called up to Ft.Myers for relief duties
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Tonkin has allowed a run in each of his last 3 appearances. While not horrible we've come to expect scoreless innings out of him. He has kept a good strike out rate though. What has killed him is BAA, opposing hitters have been getting hits off of him more frequently recently, it's kinda been hit or strike out. Dispite all of that he still has a 2.12 ERA with 17 Ks in 17 innings.

Michael has settled down into his old self, actually better. He hasn't allowed a hit in his last 2 appearances pitching 2 innings each with 7 Ks. He brought his ERA down to 1.65 and he now has 10.3 K/9. He should be in line for a promotion as a 22 year old in low A.

Thanks for the continued updates. They are appreciated.

Michael has been elected to the Midwest league All-Star game! Much of the same recently although he is racking up more strikeouts these days. His ERA is steady at 1.62 with 41 Ks in 33.1 innings, he also has 4 saves.

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there any chance that Tonkin could be converted to starter?

It's unlikely since he's primarily been used as a reliever his whole career. I haven't seen a whole lot of video on him since high school but he's added significant velocity which tells me he's started using a max effort delivery. It's possible but highly unlikely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Tonkin already tried starting, no need to mess w/Success. Hope he likes the 2nd half of the season in FM. That's a promotion that should happen soon.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In his last four outings, Michael Tonkin has thrown 7 innings and give up 0 Runs and 0 Hits, walked 0 and struck out 15 batters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If my count is correct, Tonkin has now struck out the last 10 batters he has faced. He now has 53 K's in 39 innings. Again I ask, what the hell is he doing in Beloit?! The 2008 draftee has played there the last couple years and had no business even starting the year in Beloit.

Blog Entries
    In his last five games.... 8 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 18 K. Now they've clinched a playoff berth. He'll likely pitch in the MWL All-Star game and my guess is the next day he'll move up to Ft. Myers.

As a high school draftee, Tonkin is up for Rule V draft this winter......will MN protect him right now??
    Is it correct that he throws 95???
    This is exactly why I get so upset about how slowly guys that perform are not promoted.

http://twinstrivia.com/2012/06/17/tw...f-the-week-16/

I'm with you guys, how does a 22 year old dominating at low A not get a promotion? This organization needs to show these kids that they have faith in them or else no one will want to play for us. I always wonder if we had a player like Bryce Harper or Trout would they be stuck in Fort Meyers or AA right now? Probably...

Blog Entries
    He'll be promoted to Ft. Myers by Friday. Does it really make a huge difference if he was called up 2-3 weeks ago, or after he gets to help his team/teammates clinch a playoff berth and pitch in an All Star game? I'm in agreement, he should move up, but big picture, a month isn't a huge deal.

its not just Tonkin, its an overall organizational thinking

Blog Entries
    I just have a hard time finding names of guys who got to the big leagues that immediately had sustained success and for sure they were held back too slowly.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He has been OK in years past but this is the 1st year he has dominated as a pro. Given his age and years of pro ball, he should not have started the year in Beloit to begin with. That is my issue...

Blog Entries
    It's Official! Tonkin has been promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast