Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Keeping the Dream Alive

Great work, Seth. The offseason is a perfect time for feel good stories, when all parties have time to reflect, take inventory, count blessings. In the middle of the season introducing a new call up as a "great story" is not the right time, and I very much agree with others in that respect.

Question: in the original Q&A was discussion about Collabello learning third base, any new developments on that? If he is actually looking to stick in the big leagues for a full season like he says, then the opportunity is right under his nose, it seems. Also wasn't Collabello the guy who took his home run ball away from a little girl? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Alright... Merry Christmas!!
    Or Bah Hum Bug from others' perspective of this story

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm holding out hope that Colabello will be a pretty good player for the Twins for at least a couple of years.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post
    Thrylos & OldTwinsCap, Seth opens the article by first acknowledging what we all know-the season was difficult for MN and their fans.

You both obviously love baseball deeply. We all want our favorite team to win it all every year. That won't happen. One of the things I love most about baseball is how a long, bad season can produce a fantastic game on a given day. And just one or two steps back from that, I see a parallel-a poor team can produce compelling storylines. Sure, these storylines probably wouldn't happen if the Twins were at the top of the division in 2013, but they weren't. That doesn't mean we don't get to enjoy them.

If you really love baseball, you gotta understand that right? It's what makes guys like us something more than just football fans. InsertSmileyFaceEmoticonHere
    Awesome post... Simply Awesome... I agree with every single word.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If these types interest you, great.

They don't interest me in the least. I want to see the Twins bring upi players who can lead them back to the WS. I don't watch the news for human interest stories, nor do I watch MLB for them.
    Awesome post...Simply Awesome...I agree with every single word.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

6. This user likes GCTF's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (12-29-2013)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love these stories. But I understand why some don't.

If you don't want to read human interest stories, consider these guys as a sign of an organization that is willing to use every channel of talent. Personally, I like the fact that they will give marginal guys a chance and let them earn their way to the majors.

Yes you need to draft the Kohl Stewarts of the world. Yes you need to sign the Miguel Sanos of the world. And you also need to sign the Ricky Nolascos of the world. But you don't exclude the independent league talent out of hand.

I think teams that do are missing out. The Angels used to have a closer named Brian Harvey. If memory serves, they saw him and signed him out of a softball league. He saved 126 games for them, and 177 games in his career.

I know Harvey was an extreme long shot, but there was practically no risk. Worst case, he closes games in AAA for his career. But every once in a while, a guy like that can help a team win a World Series.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    Awesome post...Simply Awesome...I agree with every single word.
    I don't want to live in a world with no room for the underdog.

I'm sorry son... You were drafted in the 16th round. We can't let you play up here. A 16th rounder has no chance of learning anything once exposed to the best instructors in the world.

I'm Sorry Mr. Hershiser... Thank You for that 2.66 ERA in 1984 but we can't let you continue into 1985 because you had a 1.49 WHIP in Albuquerque in 1982 and you were a 17th round pick before that. We ain't stupid here... We just need you to fill up some uniforms so we have a team in Lake Elsinore.

I'm sorry Trevor Hoffman... We thought you were a SS when we drafted you. There is no reason for us to convert you to pitcher. Give up the dream... You are just wasting our time.

I'm sorry Mr. Nava... You are 24 years old and playing in Chico California... There is simply no way that you can help us get to the World Series. It would be a complete waste of time for you ride the bus for low pay trying to advance through each level of the farm.

This Game is made for 1st rounders like Trevor Plouffe and Chris Parmelee.

Let me stand here and say... To all Dreamers... Don't bother trying... Infield drills... Batting practice... Work in the weight room... Diets... All of it... Why do you even try...

Just give up!

There are simply no room for great stories in baseball. Just the elite talent.

"9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

9. These 3 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (12-29-2013), crarko (12-29-2013), Seth Stohs (12-29-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12