Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mastroianni Outrighted

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    He'll still only be a phone call away (as of now). Ideally, the 4th OF can play CF, but they went a long time last year without doing that (and I think many of us wondered about it). I still think Mastro competes for that 4th OF/CF job in Spring Training, the pitching log-jam will have to work itself out and that will create roster spaces when the 25-man has to be set.

As much as I like Mastro (and I really do), you can find a spare-part OF just like him at almost any time on the waiver wire.
    Yup dont need a backup centerfielder on the 25 man roster , but you need to carry 3 catchers and Joe Mauer , you know just in case we lose our DH for a couple of at bats

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still think that Hicks makes the team out of Spring Training. Not much sense in keeping him at AAA as a 24 year old.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Yup dont need a backup centerfielder on the 25 man roster , but you need to carry 3 catchers and Joe Mauer , you know just in case we lose our DH for a couple of at bats
    I agree that three catchers is too many but I think they wait until spring training to sort it out. There could be trades yet as well. I think Mastro is the right move as he has always had trouble hitting so could be replaced by almost anyone if needed. Hopefully Hicks figures things out sooner rather than later.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I still think that Hicks makes the team out of Spring Training. Not much sense in keeping him at AAA as a 24 year old.
    I think he still needs at bats everyday and it's not a good idea to have him struggle out of the gate.

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Does no one think Hicks will begin the season as starting CF with Presley as 4th OF?

Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time. And Wow... Is that a weird sensation.

I'm tired and wide awake at the same time. I'm Jumbo and Shrimpy.

I know Maestro is just a phone call away but I can't shake this concern about our team speed. I'm not talking about stolen bases... I'm talking about speed. Weather you take a base or not... I'm a big believer in team quickness in the majority of the facets of the game.

Mastroianni can't provide all the speed we need by himself but still... We could end up with the slowest roster since the game was played on yet to dry cement.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Does no one think Hicks will begin the season as starting CF with Presley as 4th OF?
    I don't. Hicks' stock was raised by a strong 2012 and enhanced some more by a very good spring training. Now he's coming off a very disappointing 2013 and I don't think any performance in the spring can play him onto the Twins squad as the center fielder. With success at AAA, I expect him to be a regular in Minnesota by midseason, with Presley assuming the more natural role of 4th outfielder.

8. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Blackjack (12-24-2013), Danchat (12-24-2013)

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I don't. Hicks' stock was raised by a strong 2012 and enhanced some more by a very good spring training. Now he's coming off a very disappointing 2013 and I don't think any performance in the spring can play him onto the Twins squad as the center fielder. With success at AAA, I expect him to be a regular in Minnesota by midseason, with Presley assuming the more natural role of 4th outfielder.
    I should have clarified I didn't necessarily think that was what was going to happen... just throwing another option into the ring that didn't seem to have gotten mentioned at all (and probably for good reason)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    The 25 man is a mess. Until that clears Hicks will stay in AAA.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the Twins want Hicks to win the starting center field job out of spring traing. I just can't figure out what he can do to win it. He can't play better than he did last spring. He can't play any worse than he did in April. What can he do to convince them he's ready? I doubt he can do anything in ST. It'll have to happen at Rochester.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

12. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (12-23-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm sure the Twins want Hicks to win the starting center field job out of spring traing. I just can't figure out what he can do to win it. He can't play better than he did last spring. He can't play any worse than he did in April. What can he do to convince them he's ready? I doubt he can do anything in ST. It'll have to happen at Rochester.
    Respectively, I disagree. He certainly can't hit any better this spring than last, but there are all sorts of intangibles that he could put on display along with a nice batting average that could persuade the coaching staff that he's ready. Playing stellar defense in CF could also sway some minds.

I think Hicks wins the starting CF job again, but won't have the pressure of leading off this year. If not, Escobar is capable of backing up in CF. Can't remember if he ever ended up out there last year, but I know it was talked about by Gardy at one point.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Respectively, I disagree. He certainly can't hit any better this spring than last, but there are all sorts of intangibles that he could put on display along with a nice batting average that could persuade the coaching staff that he's ready. Playing stellar defense in CF could also sway some minds.
    If you recall last spring, the official (and unofficial) word from the Twins was that Hicks was showing the maturity of a 10-year veteran and doing all of the things he needed to do to earn the starting CF gig. He didn't hit and some "little things" popped up that apparently were unacceptable to the team. I personally think that the "little things" would have been swept under the rug if Aaron was hitting 100 points higher.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    100 points higher--would still have been >.150 ! I sure hope that isn't the "bar" for success.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I never saw anything out of Hicks to think that his best place to start the season is at AAA. He has proved nothing besides some defense. When a guy can't hit his weight for most of the season he has not business in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess I wasn't been paying attention, evidently Mastro had a piece of "fixation hardware" put into his left ankle last spring, and then taken out in October. Hope he's better, I kind of liked what I saw in 2012.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I guess I wasn't been paying attention, evidently Mastro had a piece of "fixation hardware" put into his left ankle last spring, and then taken out in October. Hope he's better, I kind of liked what I saw in 2012.
    He broke his ankle on a foul ball at the end of Spring Training. But they made him play on it and delayed his DL stint for a couple of weeks, calling it a "stress reaction." Finally they sent him in for surgery in late April. After he got off the DL and was sent to Rochester, he played hurt the rest of the year. Hopefully, he's healthy again. If so, he'll be added back when they have to DFA a pitcher who is out of options.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If you recall last spring, the official (and unofficial) word from the Twins was that Hicks was showing the maturity of a 10-year veteran and doing all of the things he needed to do to earn the starting CF gig. He didn't hit and some "little things" popped up that apparently were unacceptable to the team. I personally think that the "little things" would have been swept under the rug if Aaron was hitting 100 points higher.
    What little things are we talking about?
    Baseball little things or staying out late on the road trips little things.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps another move is planned. The OF defense will be league bottom. Presley will be below average as a CF. Willingham and Arcia are poor in the corners. The Twins really need Hicks or Buxton as soon as the service time date passes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    What is the deal on Mastroianni having a "stress reaction" and Twins medical staff thinking it was a minor thing? Haven't we heard this before with other Twins' players? It is not written about much but that opinion is out there, I do not remember where I have seen it but it exists. I hardly think this is the way to run a purported MLB organization, do any of you?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast