Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: C. J. Ziegler

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

C. J. Ziegler

What is the point of the signing of C. J. Ziegler? He seems like simply roster filler for Rochester but perhaps I am wrong. Anyone out there who can help us on this player?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    I'm guessing he's one of those types that will put butts in the seats of a minor league stadium. Guy has a consistent history of killing the ball.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    His stats do not seem to bear that out, at least they do not look that impressive to me.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's the AAA replacement of Clement. Clement never saw the majors in 2013. If Ziegler makes it to the majors, it is a bad sign for the big club. It means someone got hurt.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    .308 .408 .645 (1.053!) 30 HR, 99 RBI in only 100 games. 2013 Independent League POY.

I bet he rakes in our minor league system. CC 2.0

6. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-27-2013)

You sign guys, bring them to spring training, give them a chance to help out in the minors. Maybe a few get that bonus shot at the majors (Ramirez, Bernier, Colabello). But it never hurts to sign guys. You are under no obligation to keep them if they perform poorly in the spring, and never know when someone might get injured coming out of the gate.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    You sign guys, bring them to spring training, give them a chance to help out in the minors. Maybe a few get that bonus shot at the majors (Ramirez, Bernier, Colabello). But it never hurts to sign guys. You are under no obligation to keep them if they perform poorly in the spring, and never know when someone might get injured coming out of the gate.
    Agreed. High end talent is one side of the coin. Depth is the other. It takes a whole coin to sustain success in MLB.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The hope is he can become another Chris Colabello. Maybe he starts as a part-time 1B at New Britain (I can't see Vargas getting a ton more time at 1B)... He's signed in case the Twins were to eventually lost Colabello in some way, etc. Just as likely, he goes to minor league camp and they let him go after camp.

Not all signings have to be to fill major league spots. The Twins have to field several minor league teams as well. This signing seems to be to fill a AAA or AA roster.