Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mastroianni Outrighted

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Put me in the camp thinking Hicks starts the season as the everyday center fielder.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

2. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-24-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Put me in the camp expecting Hicks to start and stay in Rochester.

4. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (12-24-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    And of course, there is always the possibility that Hicks is the 4th outfielder.
    With the big goose egg that Hicks laid last year he played himself into AAA to start the season regardless how well he does in spring training. Plus I think the Twins will want to see what they have in Presley.

6. This user likes Blackjack's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (12-24-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rewind a year ago. Substitute "Dozier" for "Hicks" and "2B" for "CF" and you got the answer about where Hicks will start the season. Unless he shows up in awful shape in ST.

The Twins get nothing by having Hicks at AAA at this point.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

8. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

iceslick (12-24-2013), johnnydakota (12-24-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

If Hicks spends a month at Rochester, he will not go to Super 2 status two years hence, increasing his value. I am in Blackjack's camp that the team has no rationale to start Hicks as the CF this April. Unlike Dozier, there is an incumbent in center field who wasn't born during the Nixon administration. While I think this will straighten out before the All-Star game, Presley starts in center and Hicks starts in Rochester.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    What is the deal on Mastroianni having a "stress reaction" and Twins medical staff thinking it was a minor thing?
    Strikes me as second-guessing. We don't talk about the times the trainers take a day-to-day approach with a player and it works out. We know that the medical staff is on Terry Ryan's radar, and that's an area I think he has more information than we do on which to judge their efforts.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Strikes me as second-guessing. We don't talk about the times the trainers take a day-to-day approach with a player and it works out. We know that the medical staff is on Terry Ryan's radar, and that's an area I think he has more information than we do on which to judge their efforts.
    And yet time after time we hear how it is a bruise or a sore elbow a strain and just needs a couple days ,and it ends up in surgery.If Darren was the 1st fine ,if he was the 2nd ,maybe but this has been time after time after time.....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Put me in the camp thinking Hicks starts the season as the everyday center fielder.
    I'm with the chief on this one. Presley and Hicks complete for the spot and if Hicks plays like he did last spring he wins the job. It takes most players a few trips to the majors before they figure things out. It was a tough year for Hicks, but I'm confident that he will come back fighting for a spot on opening day. I think he will earn the spot, the question is whether he will stick once the season starts.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    And yet time after time we hear how it is a bruise or a sore elbow a strain and just needs a couple days ,and it ends up in surgery.If Darren was the 1st fine ,if he was the 2nd ,maybe but this has been time after time after time.....
    It did seem to me, though, based just on what I remember from forum threads last season, that there were far fewer complaints about the medical staff last year than from previous years, and I seem to remember that that was one area where some changes were made between 2012 and 2013.

Sports medicine is not an exact science or a mathematical equation. There's not always just one right answer. Use the same treatment on two people with identical injuries and it might work on one and not work on the other. And ankles are tricky things to rehab and heal - as I can attest having broken one myself. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Rewind a year ago. Substitute "Dozier" for "Hicks" and "2B" for "CF" and you got the answer about where Hicks will start the season. Unless he shows up in awful shape in ST.

There are several differences. Dozier is 3yrs. older than Hick & though he failed in his initial call up he still hit better than .192.

Dozier went to winter ball to work on his game & learn 2nd better. He also only had to beat out Nishioki & Carroll. Pressley is a "decent" CF option until he fails or someone beats him out.

Hicks hasn't even proven he can hit AAA pitching. He is terrible vs. RH pitching so I don't understand why he would be handed a ML starting position. That's what AAA is for. Work on his weaknesses. I hope he tears it up in AAA & forces the Twins to call him up but I doubt he will start in the majors.

If Mastro is healthy he can make the team as a NRI. One or more of the starting pitcher options will be sent down or cut. If he proves he is healthy I believe he will make the team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    This discussion has two different parts:

1) Does this move with Mastro mean the Twins will give the starting CF job to Hicks? My answer is yes.

2) Should they? No.

I won't go into detail because it's really no different than the discussions on this last season.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    It did seem to me, though, based just on what I remember from forum threads last season, that there were far fewer complaints about the medical staff last year than from previous years, and I seem to remember that that was one area where some changes were made between 2012 and 2013.

Sports medicine is not an exact science or a mathematical equation. There's not always just one right answer. Use the same treatment on two people with identical injuries and it might work on one and not work on the other. And ankles are tricky things to rehab and heal - as I can attest having broken one myself. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    The Maestro case was the only one where I felt like they delayed the inevitable and it ultimately hurt the team and the player. It is generally not a good thing to play on a broken leg. We don't know if it made it worse, but it is likely it did.

Otherwise, I agree, the changes they made improved their practices.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    My guess it was the Mastroianni decision to "play through it". This was his chance, and he wasn't going to watch it vanish without a try. We all see what happened--he got DFA'd because he didn't prove himself. Sitting-out and "being injured" wouldn't have changed things one iota.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cannot imagine Hicks starting in CF. He wasn't just bad, he flat out wasn't ready. I think he starts and plays the entire season in Rochester unless he suddenly puts up Colabello type numbers.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For how bad Hicks played in AAA last year, I don't think he starts right away. Parmelee and Pinto have had limited success in the majors but Hicksie has shown next to nothing. He has to prove it in AAA first, like Pinto and Parm have.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    At this point Hicks has a lot to prove before he becomes a part of the future. Buxton is fast on his tail. So if Buxton stays on his current trajectory of a 2015 arrival(or sooner depending on who you talk to) Hicks has basically this year to prove himself. He'd really have to improve his numbers at the plate to suggest he could be a regular at the corner.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    My guess it was the Mastroianni decision to "play through it". This was his chance, and he wasn't going to watch it vanish without a try. We all see what happened--he got DFA'd because he didn't prove himself. Sitting-out and "being injured" wouldn't have changed things one iota.
    I understand and appreciate the sentiment. But it's not his call. Part of the problem with the medical staff before the changes was a history of letting the player talk them out of what is best for the player long term. It is conceivable that he could have healed more quickly if they had shut him down the moment the medical imagery showed a fracture. By the time they shut him down, he had to have a plate installed, which limited his mobility when he returned. Thus we endured Clete Thomas for much longer than we would hope.

Counterfactuals, I know. Maybe it all ends up they way it did anyway. But it was a screw up.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

I think that this means they are committed to Presley, and want to keep their options open with Hicks. They're plan is probably Hicks as the Starter and Pressley as the 4th OF. If Hicks doesn't impress, there is still the possibility to find a back up CF and enough of their own guys that'll have to be passed through waivers anyway for being out of options.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I understand and appreciate the sentiment. But it's not his call. Part of the problem with the medical staff before the changes was a history of letting the player talk them out of what is best for the player long term. It is conceivable that he could have healed more quickly if they had shut him down the moment the medical imagery showed a fracture. By the time they shut him down, he had to have a plate installed, which limited his mobility when he returned. Thus we endured Clete Thomas for much longer than we would hope.

Counterfactuals, I know. Maybe it all ends up they way it did anyway. But it was a screw up.
    If the extent of the damage was truly known--he would have been shut-down--but it wasn't!

He played and things got worse. Scenario #2: Mastroianni goes on DL, someone else climbs-in (like Clete Thomas did)--and plays well. Darin is screwed. He doesn't know how bad it really is--but he has waited years for this opportunity, and isn't going to sit by and watch it disappear and spend the rest of his life wondering "what if?". He got his answer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123