Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Parmelee trade value?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think the evaluation period for the two players hasn't or shouldn't have been the same. Parmelee is in his mid-20s and can capably defend at two positions. Colabello is 30 and might be passable at first base (a position now manned by Joe Mauer). Any platoon would favor the left handed hitter.
    Yep. Parmelee should have been playing last season. Colabello is a non-issue. He's a 24-25 roster guy at his peak. He's a great story but too old to invest much time or money.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    What other MLB team outside of Houston would even consider Colabello for a roster spot, a ridiculous option to the max. Unless, of course, the franchise is shooting for the neighborhood of ninety losses one more time.
    Something like 13 of your last 14 posts have been full-on bashing a few specific players. I think we get it.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I agree. If Kubel is anywhere near what he was two seasons ago, he will win the DH job. 12 pitchers, 13 position players. Here's is my starting 9, as of now:

Presley (unless Hicks beats him out) 8
    Dozier 4
    Mauer 3
    Willingham 7
    Kubel 10
    Plouffe 5
    Arcia 9
    Pinto 2
    Florimon 6

Backup C: Suzuki
    Util: The winner of Escobar/Bartlett
    Fourth Outfielder: The winner of Maestro/Ramirez
    25th man: ????

So who are the options for the 25th man? It all depends on how they all play in Spring Training. As you say, Colabello has an edge since he's the only right handed power bat on the 40-man roster. The options to use a left-handed bench bat will be limited.

Parmelee is a good kid and I wish him well. But he was not a good draft choice. If he doesn't make the team and needs to be taken off the roster, no one should hang their heads. The Twins did everything they could to get him ready. He just didn't have the fast twitchy muscles to generate bat speed, which is one of those things built into the fiber of your DNA.
    I think Parm gets the 25th spot, but I think I do agree with you about the limits to his ability because he hasn't been able to hit the high fastball. I wonder if somebody like the Brewers might take a flyer on him (they need a 1B and Parm has some positional flexibility).

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless Parm learns to hit the high fastball, he would be worse in the national league than the American. They throw a lot more high fastballs in the National league.(more power pitchers)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    jay: I have been hyper critical of certain players and I'll try to cease and desist in the future. My main point with all of that is trying to get good discussion on really worthwhile players and not marginal ones. I see no point in discussing non entities who may be on the roster in 2014 but will be nowhere near it when the next wave of really potentially excellent players land on the roster. While we are all hoping for a decent 2014 season for the team as a whole we all know that the really good teams hopefully will start surfacing in 2015 and beyond.

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not that your points aren't valid to at least some extent. The whole roster isn't going to be All-Stars on any team and I'm not quite as ready to give up on a few of them, but I fully get where you're coming from. Here's to a decent '14 and a lot more fun in the near future.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep. Parmelee should have been playing last season. Colabello is a non-issue. He's a 24-25 roster guy at his peak. He's a great story but too old to invest much time or money.
    Isint he the same age or younger the Joe Mauer? Didnt the Reds think Frank Robinson was to old at 30 when thry traded him to Baltimore? And finally doesnt Chris Colabello have much better minor leaque stats the Parmelee?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    jay: I have been hyper critical of certain players and I'll try to cease and desist in the future. My main point with all of that is trying to get good discussion on really worthwhile players and not marginal ones. I see no point in discussing non entities who may be on the roster in 2014 but will be nowhere near it when the next wave of really potentially excellent players land on the roster. While we are all hoping for a decent 2014 season for the team as a whole we all know that the really good teams hopefully will start surfacing in 2015 and beyond.
    So we are limited to talkin about Mauer,Perkins and Nolasco? =)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123