Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Can Terry Ryan Truly Change His Stripes?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsguy14 View Post
    Kendrys to me is the best pick up. Right handed power at Target Field. Fill DH spot with a capable hitter and a occasional backup at first. I just think in our best years, the DH spot had a regular solid hitter in place, not as a revolving door for marginal players. Even in the 2002-2010 run, the one piece I think we were missing was that big bat in the DH spot. Plus the money is there. Get it done!!!
    I agree with you. Pencil in a right-handed hitter with power in the 4 or 5 and be done with it.

Christmas List
    1. Arroyo in, Correia traded
    2. Morales in, Hammer traded
    3. Drew in
    4. Justin Turner in, Florimon and/or Escobar out

Christmas only comes once a year.

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Get em both done, TR.

If he's not trying to win in 2014, why sign the pitchers? Since you're trying to win in 2014, why leave obvious upgrades on the table when there's small cost to go get them?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To play devils advocate.... Here is the list of SS for next free agent market when we will have a lower spot in the draft order and have our prospects with 1 more year experience. That list has comparable SS to Drew and are FA when we are still looking to upgrade the team.

Shortstops
    Mike Aviles (34) - club option
    Asdrubal Cabrera (29)
    Yunel Escobar (32) - $5MM club option
    Rafael Furcal (37)
    J.J. Hardy (32)
    Derek Jeter (41)
    Jed Lowrie (31)
    Hiroyuki Nakajima (32) - $5.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Nick Punto (37) - club/vesting option
    Hanley Ramirez (31)
    Jimmy Rollins (36) - vesting/club/player option

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ee-agents.html

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Get em both done, TR.

If he's not trying to win in 2014, why sign the pitchers? Since you're trying to win in 2014, why leave obvious upgrades on the table when there's small cost to go get them?
    Which specific upgrades are obvious / low cost? Impact player and low cost generally do not go together.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Which specific upgrades are obvious / low cost?
    The two in the article this thread is about?

6. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-25-2013)

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    To play devils advocate.... Here is the list of SS for next free agent market when we will have a lower spot in the draft order and have our prospects with 1 more year experience. That list has comparable SS to Drew and are FA when we are still looking to upgrade the team.

Shortstops
    Mike Aviles (34) - club option
    Asdrubal Cabrera (29)
    Yunel Escobar (32) - $5MM club option
    Rafael Furcal (37)
    J.J. Hardy (32)
    Derek Jeter (41)
    Jed Lowrie (31)
    Hiroyuki Nakajima (32) - $5.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Nick Punto (37) - club/vesting option
    Hanley Ramirez (31)
    Jimmy Rollins (36) - vesting/club/player option

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ee-agents.html
    If we are much lower, we lose a first round instead of second round pick...What is that cut off?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Asking the question can Terry change his stripes, well , lets take a look,after adjusting for baseball inflation the current payroll is well below the 2009 seaons of 79 million, Mr.Ryan signed the safest free agent out there in Ricky Nolasco( a good signing) but then proceeded to sign hope after hope after hope,Next he has the media report every Idea they talk about.
    At 1 time we were in on 4 pitchers , and then the truth came out , Terry had not even made an offer to any of them except Pelfrey.So no Terry is Terry , the Junk Yard King, who season after season prefers to pocket bonuses ,rather then take a chance on quality free agents.

Now some will work out but most wont, The Ryanites will praise him as the greatest ever and most intelegent GM, while most will simply understand that he got lucky on a couple of players. Merry CHRISTmas to every baseball fan,and God bless our troops .

Thanks TD for giving us a place to play

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Great read, thanks Jim.

In addition to creating some interesting day dreaming, liked that you have Rosario back in left field.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In regard to acquiring Morales, could there be a mechanism where the Mariners re-sign Morales to terms that the Twins negotiate and then send him to the Twins for either a C prospect or money? This would be something like the sign-and-trade deals that the NBA teams make.

Banned All-Star
    As for signing any of the players attached to a compensation pick , I see non that are answers, or real upgrades over our prospects for longer then this season , To me Terry is building a team , a young team , wouldnt we be better served to continue the course and sign the Cuban kids Diaz and Bello, wouldnt we be better servered trading for Burch Smith and Stassi ?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I might sign one of them, but not both. Drew is a decent upgrade at a position of weakness for the Twins. He makes more sense than Morales, especially since Kubel and Willingham are really just DHs and Arcia is no great fielder himself. One prerequisite for an FA signing is fielding a position. Morales doesn't meet that criterion.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Instead of Morales we could sign Cruz. or if we continue the path that Terry Ryan was on earlier....finding a speedy OF like Davis then Juan Pierre is the answer. I am neither Pro or against a Drew signing though I would like to see a signing or trade that would have that kind of improvement for our lineup to go along with Aria developing and maybe Plouffe or Sano and a return to form for Willingham and full season from Mauer. With that on the table our lineup is only a few pieces away from being solid.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I am not thrilled with anyone who is left. It is a deep draft this year I say keep the pick or picks see what we have and try again next year. I know it is the same old, same old but once more of our prospects move up things will change. It seems like there are too many players we need to find out about this year and build value in to trade them. I don't see things shaking until the trade deadline and then again at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    If we are much lower, we lose a first round instead of second round pick...What is that cut off?
    Top 10 is cut off.

16. This user likes orangevening's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (12-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    In regard to acquiring Morales, could there be a mechanism where the Mariners re-sign Morales to terms that the Twins negotiate and then send him to the Twins for either a C prospect or money? This would be something like the sign-and-trade deals that the NBA teams make.
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm almost positive a FA cannot be traded until June of the year he is signed.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I might sign one of them, but not both. Drew is a decent upgrade at a position of weakness for the Twins. He makes more sense than Morales, especially since Kubel and Willingham are really just DHs and Arcia is no great fielder himself. One prerequisite for an FA signing is fielding a position. Morales doesn't meet that criterion.
    So how many million and 1 compensation draft pick to gain almost 1 WAR? dont make sense, we are better off trading or signing A.Diaz in febuary

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm almost positive a FA cannot be traded until June of the year he is signed.
    The player can waive that date June? somthing, and accept a trade earlier

Banned All-Star
    So with payroll space of 127.5 million ,not counting the All Star bump, will Terry change his stripes and go get a front of the rotation pitcher? With Masahiro Tanaka being posted this morning we will see if Ryan and the twins are contenders or pretenders ...bottom line Curly go sign this guy and Garza spend the money the team has it ...then next year add some fielders to fill in the gaps

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Instead of Morales we could sign Cruz. or if we continue the path that Terry Ryan was on earlier....finding a speedy OF like Davis then Juan Pierre is the answer. I am neither Pro or against a Drew signing though I would like to see a signing or trade that would have that kind of improvement for our lineup to go along with Aria developing and maybe Plouffe or Sano and a return to form for Willingham and full season from Mauer. With that on the table our lineup is only a few pieces away from being solid.
    Wasn't Cruz named in the A-Rod probe? If so, did he serve his suspension yet?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Drew is a big risk of being a bust. He is a good player at a position where there aren't many good players, but he will be 31 and has a long injury history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast