Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santana close to a decision

Johan Santana close to a decision

Per MLB trade rumors. Sounds like Twins are a strong possibility.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/cafardo-on-1.html
    Last edited by Parker Hageman; 12-29-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Link added.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ervin or Johan? Where did you see that? In his Sunday column Cafardo speculated that Johan might like to return to the Twins because his home is at Fort Myers, but that's about all the noise from the Johan Santana front. I think that MLBTR may have picked that up as well.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Johan. You're probably right. MLBTR probably picked it up from Cafardo.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hardballtalk posted an article on Johan about 6 hours ago. I think there is a very solid chance that the twins are the team that sign Johan.

5. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Rick Niedermann (12-29-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That would surprise me a little bit, as the Twins have Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey & Coreia already slated in the starting rotation.

Not a lot of extra room.

That said, if Johan can make a comeback I'd love to see it happen with the Twins.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

If its a minor league deal, I don't see how it would be a bad thing for the Twins. Give him time to get healthy and ready in the minors and when someone at the ML level breaks down or flames out, give him a shot, if he's ready. Similar to the Rich Harden deal last year.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 809 Times in 500 Posts
    It would be a great story for sure if he could come back but I think the probabilities of Johan coming back are very, very small.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

9. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-26-2014)

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    hardballtalk posted an article on Johan about 6 hours ago. I think there is a very solid chance that the twins are the team that sign Johan.

They picked the same Cafardo piece in Boston Globe the MLBTR picked. Like MLBTR their info is second hand. Here is what Cafardo writes about Johan (from the linked above article) :

Johan Santana, LHP, free agent — Santana is getting closer to making a decision on a minor league deal with a team. There’s been some speculation about the Twins since Santana still resides in Fort Myers, Fla., where the Twins have spring training. The Red Sox, who also train in Fort Myers, passed. But a small-market team such as the Astros could also have some interest. Santana is just trying to get back pitching and prove himself again.

Apparently at some point the "closeR" became "close" in both of those second hand sources. I don't even think that he threw off a mound this off-season, FWIW.

I'd love it if the Twins sign him to MiLB and he certainly will put some rear ends on seats. Why not. But, I just don't think that anything is happening in 2013... Per Doogie (within the last week or so), the Twins have not made an offer. Earlier in the off-season it was reported out of NY that Santana was looking for a MLB. I suspect that nobody is thinking of that, so he might have changed his mind.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

11. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (12-29-2013)

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no negative in a minor league deal. I would be shocked if he pitches by June, and the Twins can now be patient with him. Santana knows that the Twins will take care of him and be completely patient. If he's great, great. If he's hurt (most likely), they lose nothing, just like the Harden deal.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing it's a minor league deal where he can exercise some sort of opt out if he's still in the minors after a certain date. That type of deal is likely all he's going to get, and I'm perfectly fine with him returning to Minnesota to try it out.

14. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-29-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Milb contact, probably with incentives, and rehab as long as he needs. Even if not ready until the second half of the season, it's a safe and very low risk option, even if it goes nowhere.

Ive been liking this idea for some time now, and not because he's a former Twins great. Even if he makes it back, I'm sure we've probably seen the last of his real greatness. But he's experienced, hard working, LH, and always kept himself in good shape. The kind of flyer that seems to pay off for a playe or two every year, and he could be that guy. He's not the kind of guy to necessarily bet against.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would love to see him back. The Twins are the perfect team for him right now.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do it! As others have said, he'd be an option for some depth later in the season and nothing hurt. Worst case, his shoulder is done and he gets to retire as a Twin.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    That would surprise me a little bit, as the Twins have Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey & Coreia already slated in the starting rotation.

Not a lot of extra room.

That said, if Johan can make a comeback I'd love to see it happen with the Twins.
    It's like the Harden signing. He'll need to get into pitching shape in the minors. He's a long shot to ever pitch again. He was the first to come back from this surgery and compete. He would be the first to ever pitch again after having it twice.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 295 Times in 158 Posts
    Yes, it's just like the Harden signing, and will most likely have the same result. Still, the chance for him to have one last bow before his many, many fan here would make the signing well worth it.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Obviously I would love this move. It would be really nice to see him come back and put together 3-4 solid (but not great) seasons, that way he would bolster his chances on making the hall of fame.

Worst case scenario, there is a retirement ceremony around July or August where everyone wants tickets to say goodbye to Johan. Probably draw more tickets than the All-Star game.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I like the idea, he's probably done, but if there's even a chance he's not, he has more potential than any of the MLB signings the Twins have made.

Still, the rumor a month ago was that Santana was going to have some kind of showcase in January. If he's close to signing, there will be no showcase. If the showcase has been scrapped doesn't that indicate either his confidence in an impressive showing is low or his estimation for his return was greatly overestimated?

If we sign Santana I'd like there to be some kind of handshake agreement that if the comeback attempt is derailed or not possible that he comes aboard as a minor league pitching instructor to teach our young guys how to throw a proper change up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    If we sign Santana I'd like there to be some kind of handshake agreement that if the comeback attempt is derailed or not possible that he comes aboard as a minor league pitching instructor to teach our young guys how to throw a proper change up.
    While that is a nice sentiment, we already have the guy who taught Santana his change-up (Cuellar).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast