Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Diamond

June 9th, 2012 Twins vs. Cubs

Another great team win! But this is the Scott Diamond blog.

Scott had another quality start today pitching 6 shutout innings against the Cubs, and leaving the game with a 11 - 0 score. Scott allowed 7 hits, 0 runs, 0 base on balls, 5 strike outs and lowered his ERA to 1.61

This was Scott's 7th start since being called up from Rochester, and now has 5 wins, 1 loss and 1 no decision.

Looking at the stats is quite fun when you see that Scott leads the team with a .333 batting average (okay, I know he only has come to bat 3 times since being called up, but that one hit does count!) Scott's ERA is second on the team behind Drew Butera's steller .000 (okay Drew's stats count too!) He is also leading the team in wins with 5, and is third on the team with innings pitched at 44.2 behind Pavano and Liriano.

In The 7 games Scott has pitched for the Twins, he has allowed 14 runs, 8 of them being earned, 4 homeruns and 4 base on balls with 27 stikeouts.

I wonder how Billy Bullock is doing this year? I haven't looked but have also not seen anyone questioning the trade this year. If I can find his stats it would be an intersting comparison.

Great work Scotty. You have been a great addition to the Twins and an exciting pitcher to cheer for.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 136 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diamond does all of the little things pretty well. He was run on in one of his first two starts, but he seems to have a pretty good plan in holding baserunners. He not only has limited his BBs, but he's pitched ahead in the count and made hitters go after his pitch. He keeps the ball out of the middle of the plate, fields his position and seems to rise to the occasion when runners are on base. While he doesn't have dominant stuff, he throws hard enough to have a real difference in speeds between his pitches. I still don't think the outstanding ERA will last, Diamond will get hit at some point, but I think Diamond is a keeper.

Yeah, you gotta think this guy will get knocked around a few times just year. I just hope he keeps it going. We need a young reliable arm sooo bad, this would be really refreshing heading into next yeaar!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know he has been performing quite well actually really well but if you were to label him he'd be labeled as a #3 right?

I knew someone in the Twins Daily community would be able to write an excellent article with a view of how the Diamond/Bullock trade looks in 2012, so have included the link, as a reference.

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php?1265...lock-struggles

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Bullock still fighting control, 24 walks/26 K's in 29 AA innings.

Took one year, but this deal looks a lot better.

Win some/lose some. 1 winner in the Billy Smith ledger. One of few.

June 14, 2012 Twins Vs. Phillies

6 innings and 4 earned runs.

With the recent scoring power the Twins have been showing , this might have been good enough for another Scott Diamond win. But not on this night. The Twins could only find a single run, and Scott was left with the loss.

Scott gave up a solo homerun in the second inning, and a 3 run shot to former team mate Jim Thome in the third. For the rest of his 6 innings Scott demonstrated his usual controlled presence on the mound, and kept out of trouble. 5 hits, 4 earned runs, 1 strikeout and 2 walks complete his line for the night. Scott's ERA has 'ballooned' to 2.13; still best among the Twins' starters.

Next scheduled start is in Pittsburgh, where he'll have a chance to improve on his team leading batting average.

Tuesday, June 19, 20012 Twins vs Pirates

It was an 'ordinary' start for Scott. Not good; not horrible; just
    ordinary. So ordinary in fact that I didn't get around to this post
    until today.

Scott didn't seem to have his best stuff, uncharacteristically pitching
    from behind to many Pirates. The offence was absent, the defence was
    uninspired, and the pitching was not good enough to make up the difference.

Scott took the loss with an unimpressive line of 5.1 innings, 4 earned
    runs, 2 walks and one lonely strikeout. His record now stands at 5 and
    3 with an ERA of 2.57.

Can't wait for the next start against the Reds.

Sunday, June 24, 2012 Twins vs. Reds

Now that was fun! Perhaps 'extra' ordinary is a better word.

Scott pitched a very strong 8 inning, and the Twins brought great
    defence and just enough timely offence to assure him a 6th win.
    Thanks Josh W. Scott pitched consistently ahead with 79% of his 82
    pitches finding the strike zone. He saw a number of major league
    firsts today including:
    • first 8 inning outing
    • first 7 strikeout game
    • first time plunking 2 batters in a row
      Scott's line showed 8 innings, 3 earned runs, 7 strike out, 1 walk and 1 home run. And that home run by Joey Votto was (in my opinion) quite a good pitch. Perhaps Votto was highly motivated after being 'schooled' twice earlier in the game.

Scott's ERA now stands at 2.67. Sadly his batting average has dipped to .143 and hopes of leading the Twins in hitting are fading.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Tonight on the Season Ticket Fan Form

Scott Diamond credited Kevin Slowey with his success in the Majors.

Hmm?? someone tell Jim Souhan.

For those intersted here is the link to Cody Christie's articile recapping the Season Ticket Fan Forum featuring Scott Diamond and Trevor Plouffe.

http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?73...Ticket-Holders

Saturday, June 30, 2012 Twins vs. Royals

Scott had a another quality start, during the first game of the double header, today against the Royals!

It has to bring a big smile to a Twins fan's face to watch a game where the pitcher is so confident and can go about his business and get the job done!

Scotty pitched 8 innings, allowing 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 base on balls, and struck out 4. Scott threw 101 pitches - 65 for strikes. Scott's ERA slightly dropped to 2.63 for his 11 starts since being called up on May 8th from Rochester.

Along with great pitching the Twins showed great offense and defense and Scotts record is now 7 wins and 3 losses.

This win ended a drought while playing doubleheaders for the Twins who were 0 - 8 in their past 4 double headers and had not won a game of a doubleheader since May 8, 2010 against Baltimore at Target Field.

July 1, 2012 Canada Day north of the border

Including a link to one of Canada's National newspapers on a article about Scott Diamnd apparently written 2 weeks ago, that gives lots of insight into Scotty's route to the majors.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ll-with-twins/

July 7, 2012 Twins vs. Tigers

He deserved better!!

Scott took the mound against the Detroit Tigers for an afternoon game today. He threw yet another quality start, allowing 2 runs over 7
    innings, and was supported by some excellent Twins defence and lots (14) of hits. It should have been a recipe for his 8th win of the season.

But the Tigers threw out 3 base runners at home and the Twins left 16 other runners on base and Scott watched a 3-2 lead evaporate into a
    no-decision in the 8th inning. The line drive to Scott's right shin in the 6th inning, and the 1 1/2 hour rain delay combined with a late finish to the game the night before (another rain delay) only served to make the game more troubling.

Scott's line showed 7 innings, with 2 earned runs, 1 walk, and 4 strikeouts. His ERA nudged down to 2.62. A nice way to enter the All Star Break. Sure hope Ron Washington is noticing, just in case he needs a couple of substitutes!

interested to hear that Gardy is gonna give Diamond an extra day or 2 off to start the 2nd half.....would assume the ace, if rested, should start game 1. Scot is at 113.2 IP with a high of last yrs 162 IP.
    Wouldnt it be more pertenant to keep pitching him & when you're out of it in Sept, shut him down????
    Know its only a game or 2 & it doesnt matter, but the message I get out of it is more of what fans/media believe.....Twins have no shot in 2nd half, so why try for the division title.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    interested to hear that Gardy is gonna give Diamond an extra day or 2 off to start the 2nd half.....would assume the ace, if rested, should start game 1. Scot is at 113.2 IP with a high of last yrs 162 IP.
    Wouldnt it be more pertenant to keep pitching him & when you're out of it in Sept, shut him down????
    Know its only a game or 2 & it doesnt matter, but the message I get out of it is more of what fans/media believe.....Twins have no shot in 2nd half, so why try for the division title.
    They are out of it now unless Liriano pitches lights out the rest of the year, Pavano comes back after the all star break as a more than solid #2, Diamonds arm does not fall off, Blackburn comes back as a solid #3, and Morneau has his brain heal miraculously to pre concussion. They might be auditioning some for next year, but it looks to me like piece it together one game at a time without burning out the pitchers.

July 16, 2012 Twins vs. the Orioles

After Scott having a long time between starts which apparently was planned by the Twins staff, Scott did a good job of pitching tonight backed up with great offense and defense.

Scott in his 8th win this season, went 6 innings, gave up 9 hits, 5 runs, 3 strikeouts and 1 base on balls. Scott's ERA is 2.96.

The outing wasn't his finest as he had an uncharacteristically low strike ratio and was frequently pitching from behind. Fortunately the Twins brought their bats to the game, and Scott was pitchiing with a lead from the second inning. Scott's excellent control seemed to return in the third inning and except for Reynold's 3 run homerun, the pitcher was in control of the game.

I found this link to a interview of Scott last evening on Twitter, for those of you who are interested.
    Video: Scott Diamond Joins Chris Long On Sports Wrap, Pt. 1 http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2691280.shtml via @KSTP

No complaining about Diamond but......
    are people goin overboard with 'he's the ace' talk & a guarranteed spot next spring??
    First 7 starts 5W 1L 44.2IP 49h .277BAA 1.61ERA .407slgg 28k 4bb
    Next 7 starts 3W 3L 46.1IP 51h .283BAA 4.66ERA .417slgg 22k 11bb

Numbers are similar except ERA in 7 gm increments.....which one is more likely to be seen??
    Ive always seen him as a 4/5 starter max......are expectations too high for him?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    No complaining about Diamond but......
    are people goin overboard with 'he's the ace' talk & a guarranteed spot next spring??
    First 7 starts 5W 1L 44.2IP 49h .277BAA 1.61ERA .407slgg 28k 4bb
    Next 7 starts 3W 3L 46.1IP 51h .283BAA 4.66ERA .417slgg 22k 11bb

Numbers are similar except ERA in 7 gm increments.....which one is more likely to be seen??
    Ive always seen him as a 4/5 starter max......are expectations too high for him?
    I agree with you that people are going way overboard regarding his performance, but he is definitely guaranteed a spot in the rotation next season. As it stand now - he will probably be our opening day starter.

Diamond (for next 2gms only) now has enough innings to qualify for ERA title & is 6th with 2.88 ERA AND is 2nd in MLB with groundball to flyball ratio with 1.38 (to Derek Lowe and 1 of only 2 with ERAs under 3 with David Price).....how can that be can--- he doesnt throw a sinker like Nick Blackburn...who's only year over 1.0 was last yr!!! Also now 7th in K/bb ratio with 3.73 per.
    He is our ace!!!!
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 07-27-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast