Thread: Article: Top '13 Stories: #4 - Buxton and Sano Dominate Minors

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Top '13 Stories: #4 - Buxton and Sano Dominate Minors

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a fan I want these two to make a rush to the majors. But I hope the Twins have the patience to not rush them. I believe their game and production will clearly dictate where they should start this next season, and will just as clearly dictate when and where they should move up to.

In the early 80's the Twins had a group of talented young players, maybe not quite at the elite level of these two, but not that far off. And while not all of them achieved the great success hoped for, Bush and Laudner to name a couple, though the had decent careers and helped win, Gaetti, Hrbek and Puckett (a cople years later) took a few lumps, but produced, and grew quickly. It would be naive to think Buxton and Sano won't take a few lumps themselves at some point, but the talent level and potential is undeniable.

And really, they have not only shown that tremendous ability, but have produced consistently and dramatically with no regression. I don't even count the slippage in BA for Sano at AA as regression because he still showed a good enough eye and patience for a quality OB, plus power and RBI while continuing to hone his defense. In fact, for both players, despite being different types of talent and performers, what I find so encouraging with both is that OB skill. Might be the hardest thing to teach and hone, as well as the best indicator of offensive potential.

I don't know what Sano's potential BA might be, but the defense seems to be coming nicely, and the power and run production should be excellent. Buxton seems to me to be a Ricky Henderson type with better arm and defense. With his athleticism and growth potential, I see potential 20 HR power in time. A Griffey Jr possibly? Which might not only make him a great lead off hitter, but potentially a future #3 hitter down the road.

I'm just in favor of that road being as smooth as possible for both of them. I hope expectations from the front office, as well as us as fans, will be tempered enough to provide at least a little patience in their handling.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    The same sense of patience would also apply to Meyer, in my opinion. He'll be up sooner rather than later, but lets let him get a few more innings under his belt so he can reach the bigs, and stay there for good.

While not worried about his development or future, the delay in Rosario's season beginning is a huge disappointment. I never thought he'd break camp with the Twins this year. But I was greatly looking for improvement and subsequent advancement to AAA early or immediately. Of course, that's going to be delayed now, and might push his MLB debut to September. And that is really a shame.

And while I am a believer in Dozier, always have been, I disagree with those who seem in a hurry to usher Rosario back to the OF. While it could happen eventually, and he would almost certainly be a quality offensive performer there with a variety of skills, ( and I believe some of the power he showed earlier will return once he develops and settles in), he has the athleticism and has shown some ability and improvement in the inf that I'd keep him at 2B for now. What a wonderful dilemma in a year or so to have two excellent young 2B to work with. And who knows, having played SS his whole life, and having gained experience and confidence, perhaps Dozier could yet make the move back to SS?

Polanco, Walker and Kepler are going to be a bit behind these 4, perhaps as much as two seasons. Perhaps Stewart will fast track and join them. Oh my, what a haul over the next 2-3 years!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would add that I personally would put Alex Meyer into the "Elite" category, and Kohl Stewart is there too. They all have All-Star potential.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My 2015 or 16 Playoff and More Line-up:

1) Byron Buxton CF (the next Rickey Henderson)
    2) Eddie Rosario 2B (hit & run contact hitter)
    3) Joe Mauer 1B (will become a RBI threat in 3 hole)
    4) Miguel Sano 3B (30+ HR potential)
    5) Oswaldo Arcia LF (can't pitch around Sano)
    6) Kennys Vargas DH (switch hitting - complete batting threat)
    7) Adam Walker RF (athletic power threat in back of order)
    8) Josmil Pinto C (great hitter to protect Walker)
    9) Goodrum or Santana (leadoff bats at back of lineup)

Pitching Depth
    1) Ricky Nolasco
    2) Alex Meyer
    3) Phil Hughes
    4) Trevor May
    5) (Player received for Dozier and Hicks Trade)

Stewart - 2017
    Berrios - 2017
    Thorpe - 2018
    Jorge - 2019
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 01-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Light foot, love your lineup, and it reflects man of my own Twin fantasy lineups on paper doodles and in my head.

Only qualm I really have is both Vargas and Hicks arriving, and arriving so soon to both figure in the lineup. Think Hicks might still be part of the equation. And not certain...yet...that Dozier is someone we trade. One, Rosario has to beat him out or he too might yet figure in the OF equation, and Two, keep wondering if an established, experienced and confident Dozier couldn't move back his previous life-long position of SS at some point.

Pitching wise, I still believe in Gibson and feel he should be part of your starting 5 equation.

Getting excited for 2015. Almost wishe we could just skip ahead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Pitching wise, I still believe in Gibson and feel he should be part of your starting 5 equation.

Getting excited for 2015. Almost wishe we could just skip ahead.
    I would agree with you on Gibson (forgot about him). I would replace him with May. I also like Dozier at SS if he can handle it long term. That would make for an even greater line up.