Thread: Article: Top 13 Stories: #2 - Joe Mauer Moves to First Base

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 377 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Top 13 Stories: #2 - Joe Mauer Moves to First Base

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-01-2014)

I agree that 80 - 100 more at bats for Mauer is a good thing. This is a good move.
    Now ...Number 1 story? Bet its Gardenhire rehire...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Sad to see Mauer have to move. I agree with you, Seth, I think he's a lock for the HOF too, but I think if he could've caught part-time for a few more years he would be considered the best and most productive catcher of all time by most. On the bright side I think this move will allow him to play with fresher legs, arms and hands and should push his OPS over 900 for a few years, offsetting the normal decline players can suffer in their mid 30's.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if he is a sure HOF. Voters still expect more HRs and RBIs since he is switching to 1st base. A couple more years of 50 RBIs in his early 30s might not get him into the HOF.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To call Mauer a HOF-lock is pretty premature at this point. Yes he did have a great 9-10 season career so far and if he continues for a while, he would likely be in the HOF discussion.

Here is the thing: Hitters of his kind (doubles but not HR power, high OBP, batting champion types) need to be close to the 3000 barrier to cross the barrier. Looks like the writers have that benchmark (unless people's careers are cut short by death or accident sometimes)

I will give you few comparables:

Boggs, 3010 hits(IN)
    Gwynn, 3141 hits (IN)
    Alomar 2724 (IN)
    Larkin 2340 (IN)

Harrold Baines 2866 (OUT)
    Dave Parker 2712 (OUT)
    Don Mattingly 2153 (OUT)

Craig Biggio 3060 (???)
    Inchiro Suzuki, 2742 (???)
    Pudge Rodriguez 2844 (???)
    Larry Walker 2160 (???)

Mauer has 1414 hits. 150 a season and he needs 11 seasons to get there... He can do it.

(FWIW, other Cs in the HOF like Bench and Fisk were close to 400 HRs, a milestone that Mauer likely will not get. Most HOF Cs are power guys. The Piazza situation will be interesting)

Still I hope that this conversation is about 15 years premature
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

7. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Stan Zbornak (01-01-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Best move of the offseason, IMO. Nothing is more important to this team than Mauer being on the field for 100 more at bats, given their investment in him and his awesomeness.
    Lighten up Francis....

9. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Stan Zbornak (01-01-2014)

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good write-up.

I'm actually pretty surprised this isn't the #1 story. So far, I basically agree with the stories and their ordering, but I have no idea what would beat this for #1 that hasn't already made an appearance.

You have me in suspense!

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In my mind, Mauer is a sure-fire HOF'er but the BBWAA is making such a mockery of the hall right now that I don't even know if I care about who's in and who isn't anymore. I know who I think are the best players of all time and that's good enough for me. Why should I care if a collection of out of touch old school ink-stained wretches don't agree? The fact that Jim Rice is in the HOF and Barry Bonds will not be inducted is reason enough to think the Hall isn't overly legitimate anymore.

Junior Member Rookie SouthDakotaFarmer's Avatar
    Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer is not a lock HOFer. Off the cuff here, but I think Joe has somewhere around 100 career homeruns. Even if he steps it up a bit, which he should playing 1B, there is absolutely no chance that he will get to 300 dingers. With something like 1400 hits, he will be lucky and by lucky I mean he needs to stay healthy, in order to approach the magic 3000 hit mark. If he can get to that figure, the HOF discussion can be broached. As a fan I would be happy to see him belt an average of 25 big-flys a year as a first baseman. That might be asking a little much, considering his best year he hit 27ish. Let's just hope he can stay healthy, the Twins can develop a true #2 hitter and Mauer can move to the part of the lineup where he belongs - #3 hitter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Mauer has 1414 hits. 150 a season and he needs 11 seasons to get there... He can do it.
    He has averaged 1.20 hits per game played in his career. If he plays 150 games per year, that puts him at 180 per year. That would take him a little less than nine years to reach 3000. 11 years would put him over forty. I think for him to reach it he has to stay healthy (obviously) and put a few 200 hit seasons in there during the next five years. He has four seasons at 174 hits or better as a catcher, so I think it is doable if he is playing 1B/DH. If he doesn't get close to 3000 that contract may really be hurting the Twins in a few years. Let's hope for the best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    f he doesn't get close to 3000 that contract may really be hurting the Twins in a few years. Let's hope for the best.
    I take it back. With only five years left on Joe's contract and moving him to 1B, I like our chances of getting decent to good value out of his contract. I would say there is a chance he reaches 2400 hits by the end of the contract. That means he would need 150 a year for his next 4 years (age 36-39 seasons). It is questionable he will be able to accomplish that at those ages, but maybe he makes it in the following year at age 40, hopefully with the Twins.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 377 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As a guy who was primarily a catcher, 3,000 is pretty unlikely... if/when he gets over 2,000, it's a given (if it isn't already). Three batting titles (that catchers haven't won in years), a bunch of All Star appearances, Gold Gloves, a bunch of Silver Sluggers, impeccable image, presumably one team. He's got a .324 career average and is an on-base machine. It's a given.

Mauer's current averages leave him in the following positions amongst catchers all time:

BA .323 - 1st
    OBP .405 - 2nd
    SLG .468 - 9th
    OPS .873 - 3rd

Also of note, assuming Piazza gets in, every catcher with any longevity at catcher with a .300 BA is in the HoF. Every. Single. One. I see very little reason he doesn't get into Cooperstown, whether it is 6 or 16 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    FWIW, other Cs in the HOF like Bench and Fisk were close to 400 HRs, a milestone that Mauer likely will not get. Most HOF Cs are power guys. The Piazza situation will be interesting.
    Of the 13 Cs in the HoF, 9 of them did not hit 250 HRs. (and Mickey Cochrane, whom Mauer's game is most similar to, only hit 119.) I agree that Mauer is not a big power guy and will be unlikely to get over 250, but I don't see that as much of a prerequisite for a HoF catcher historically.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As a guy who was primarily a catcher, 3,000 is pretty unlikely... if/when he gets over 2,000, it's a given (if it isn't already).
    1,700 would actually put him right in the midst of the current HoF catchers. Pudge's 2,844 is the all time leader for Cs, and only a handful have ever broken 2,000. The fact that we can even come up with scenarios where Mauer gets to 3,000 is remarkable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    1,700 would actually put him right in the midst of the current HoF catchers. Pudge's 2,844 is the all time leader for Cs, and only a handful have ever broken 2,000. The fact that we can even come up with scenarios where Mauer gets to 3,000 is remarkable.
    I agree completely. Getting to 3,000 is a long shot. 2500 is well within the realm of possibility. I have a hard time seeing him not in the HOF.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hits don't matter as a negative. Getting 3,000 hits garners a player more consideration for the hall but not achieving 3,000 is not a negative, particularly for catchers.

If a BBWA voter can't acknowledge that it's harder to accumulate hits when a player walks 8-10% of the time, they deserve to lose their status as a voting member.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately there are probably more than a few voters who fit that category.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 144 Posts
    I am not sure if you can post links here (although I suspect this article by Randball's Stu will at some point be linked on the front page) - but there is more to the story of why Mauer was switched positions. I wish Mauer would be more about baseball and less about going out of his way to make controversial statements about hot topic issues such as dairy products.

We are lucky to have such great local journalists as by Randball's Stu to uncover the uglier side of the game, even when it involves difficult, tempermental players such as Mauer. I bet Mauer goes after him the next time he sees him.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    I am not sure if you can post links here
    Normally it should not be a problem. To save a step, are you referring to this hard hitting piece (of satire)?

http://www.twinkietown.com/2014/1/3/...stance-on-milk
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 01-03-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast