Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Twins Still Have Room For Pitching

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I just want to add agreement that there is a disconnect between busting both myths, even if the the conclusions are technically true. Moving two or three pitchers to the pen who aren't proven relievers is a long shot to make the pen better

So, solving one problem with the other, in this case, doesn't make sense.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Good Problems To Have

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I just want to add agreement that there is a disconnect between busting both myths, even if the the conclusions are technically true. Moving two or three pitchers to the pen who aren't proven relievers is a long shot to make the pen better

So, solving one problem with the other, in this case, doesn't make sense.
    The too much starting pitching dilemma which seems to be causing undue angst to a handful, prior to Thanksgiving would have seemed like a gift from Heaven. I would guess even those with Pro-Ryan leanings were surprised how quickly and thoroughly he positioned the starting pitching rotation towards respectability, not only for 2014, but for several years beyond. If Diamond and/or Worley are lost for little or no value, it seems like a small price to pay for a team which lost 90+ games 3 years in a row and had the worst starting rotation in baseball in 2013.

It's very common for teams to restructure the bullpen every offseason. With an acceptable core and many internal options available, I can't imagine it's a concern of any magnitude at One Twins Way.
    Last edited by howieramone; 01-06-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Innings per appearance seems to be of marginal value in determining the quality of a bullpen. # of appearances is significant but really if you have an extra 100+ innings to spread around and your innings per appearance is average then you simply have to use more guys you don't want to. If our starters consistently give 6 or 7 innings with the short starts being rare then you have fewer innings and appearances to deal with and a larger share is being done by your best pitchers. I don't thinks its a myth. We have a good bullpen. Maybe not great but plenty good and if they had the KC rotation and handling they would show it. Remember how Guerrier would get dead arm when his pace for a season was over 70 appearances. KC had zero relievers with over 70 appearances. Twins had 3. Goes back to my theory that it is much easier on a relievers arm to pitch 2 innings every third day than it is to pitch 1 inning twice every 3 days. The fact that the Twins have league average innings per appearance is a very bad thing when considering that they had that many more innings to pitch. That just translates to more appearances which to me means overworked.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    The too much starting pitching dilemma which seems to be causing undue angst to a handful, prior to Thanksgiving would have seemed like a gift from Heaven. I would guess even those with Pro-Ryan leanings were surprised how quickly and thoroughly he positioned the starting pitching rotation towards respectability, not only for 2014, but for several years beyond. If Diamond and/or Worley are lost for little or no value, it seems like a small price to pay for a team which lost 90+ games 3 years in a row and had the worst starting rotation in baseball in 2013.

It's very common for teams to restructure the bullpen every offseason. With an acceptable core and many internal options available, I can't imagine it's a concern of any magnitude at One Twins Way.
    Agreed- the undue angst on disturbing the sacrosanct status quo is typical and somewhat comical. And teams successfully move SPs to RPs and back the other way all the time. Not every move like this ends up being Slowey-esque.

I would guess even those with Pro-Ryan leanings were surprised how quickly and thoroughly he positioned the starting pitching rotation towards respectability,
    Here's where we disagree....I would guess especially those with Pro-Ryan leanings were surprised how quickly the rotation could be upgraded.

Most of us neutral or anti-status quo FO have been clamoring that upgrades in the rotation are not only doable, but affordable and necessary since post-2010.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I think there's a difference between never having "too much start pitching" and never having "too much good starting pitching."

No one was against the Twins acquiring good starting pitching, and hopefully Pelfrey is better and Hughes pitches better at Target Field and/or recognizes his potential.

Hopefully the Twins did acquire upgrades that will help them both short and long term and that they are able to transition players that could have higher upside or those they let go aren't missed opportunities.
    Last edited by Alex; 01-07-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123