Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins "kicking the tires" on Garza

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

Still. I have a very hard time seeing Garza here while Gardy and Andy are running the ball club. Feel free to go back and refer to the published stuff by the press about Garza and GardyNAndy during his first stint here and make up your own minds...
    None of it was bad at all, Gardy even said after they traded away Garza that he wished he had him back. Additionally, I am sure both sides have grown a bit over the last several years. IIRC people read wayyyyy to much into some pretty harmless quotes, the same folks who swore up and down the Twins would never get Perkins to play for them etc.

2. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (01-02-2014), gunnarthor (01-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not happening at that price point.

This is less than Nolasco money and years. I think that it would take the same 4+1 years but at $17-18M per to sign Garza.

Still. I have a very hard time seeing Garza here while Gardy and Andy are running the ball club. Feel free to go back and refer to the published stuff by the press about Garza and GardyNAndy during his first stint here and make up your own minds...

For some reason I believe that this is a smoke-screen of some sort.
    So to do 3+1 would $20-21M get it done? Or is the most guaranteed money always the winner?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    I like that the Twins are still getting after these guys prior to the Tanaka deal. Might be smart to get out ahead of that move when it finalizes. That said, Garzas camp is well aware of this too.

If they do get him, I guess I'll question the Pelfrey signing. That said, I'm in the camp that agrees they could flip Correia pretty easily if need be to open an additional roster spot. Pelfrey and/or Correia's salary isn't so huge that it limits him from being moved to the pen to make room for an Alex Meyer/Gibson/May either.

I'm all for a 4/60 + vesting option. I could see someone else giving him that guaranteed 5th year though.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    He's kicked his spitting habit, so I'm all for signing him if the price is right.

Garza developed something of strange reputation among watchful fans: he’s a chronic spitter. Garza said the reason he spit so often – as many as three or four times between pitches – was because he would lick his fingers after using the rosin bag behind the mound, then spit out the rosin. Garza explained to the Sporting News: “You try to keep your hand dry so you're able to control the baseball. But that's dry tree sap, you know? You try to lick tree sap and tell me if you like it or not.” Garza has recently kicked the habit because he says the rosin gave him heartburn.
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

6. These 3 users like Musk21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (01-02-2014), Monkeypaws (01-02-2014), Willihammer (01-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going after Garza would make sense if they are looking to continue to add to the team. I don't like a Garza signing as the final move of the offseason.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Agreed, heck they could probably offer to send cash with him in order to get a little better prospect. OR package him with a prospect for a player we could use soon/now. I know there was conversation on here about packaging Willingham and Correia to the Mariners since they're very much in win now mode. That could/should actually net a decent prospect or two.
    The Orioles are looking for depth at Starting Pitcher, a Closer to replace Johnson, possibly a LF (if Lough is envisioned as a 4th OF), a DH....all on an economy budget-> (Weiters is due to make $8M/JJ Hardy due $10M with already achieved incentive bonuses). Some combination of Correia/Perk/Plouffe/Willingham/(Rosario or Pinto) could net you some combination of Hardy/Weiters/one of the O's SP top-ten pitching prospects (Rodriguez?)/Position filler & salary relief guy like Reimold. Both teams would fill big holes with this deal, and it frees up some additional money for the Orioles to sign Kendrys Morales and possibly go more aggresively after an additional front-line SP.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 55 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Garza does cost a high #2 Draft pick...

Plus salary.

And if he's anywhere near $20M...I'm sure the Twins will wait for the Tanaka fall-out before they sign him.

But then again, Garza's camp is likely waiting for that too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Garza wasn't offered a qualifying offer. He was traded mid-season so he was ineligible to receive one.

11. This user likes JP3700's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (01-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post

Plus salary.

And if he's anywhere near $20M...I'm sure the Twins will wait for the Tanaka fall-out before they sign him.

But then again, Garza's camp is likely waiting for that too.

I am pretty sure Garza does not require draft pick compensation.

Oops. JP3700 beat me to the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Agreed, heck they could probably offer to send cash with him in order to get a little better prospect. OR package him with a prospect for a player we could use soon/now. I know there was conversation on here about packaging Willingham and Correia to the Mariners since they're very much in win now mode. That could/should actually net a decent prospect or two.
    I'm beginning to think one more big signing puts the Twins in win now mode!

Did anyone else notice that should the Twins sign Garza their entire starting staff will be right-handed? I also like the idea of signing lefty Johan Santana to a split contract a la Jason Kubel, assuming he's still got something left.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotholemike View Post
    Did anyone else notice that should the Twins sign Garza their entire starting staff will be right-handed?
    "We don't need left-handed pitchers. We need pitchers who can get left-handed batters out." -- Anon (anyone with a source?)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    I won't complain if the Twins signed Garza but I think I'd stay pat for now. Next year might be a better year to go after a top flight pitcher - more will be on the market and I think Garza is over rated - and the Twins will have a better idea of where they stand with Meyer, Gibson, May as well as the bats.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 438 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I won't complain if the Twins signed Garza but I think I'd stay pat for now. Next year might be a better year to go after a top flight pitcher - more will be on the market and I think Garza is over rated - and the Twins will have a better idea of where they stand with Meyer, Gibson, May as well as the bats.
    Agreed. I won't complain if they sign him but I'm not sure it's the best course of action this season.

Yes it would

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Per MLBTR:

This would be utterly fantastic.

Agreed. Signing Garza would give the Twins two reliable starters which they haven't had in years. At this point Nolasco is the ONLY stable piece followed by three big question marks (Hughes, Pelfrey and Correia) and the yet to be named #5 starter.

With Garza we'd have insurance in case the other three fall flat on their faces and have down years without torpedoing the whole season. Fall back options include Deduno, Worley, Gibson, Albers, Johnson and Gilmartin. Meyer and May might also be available late next season as well.

That said, if the Twins DO sign Garza I'll be mildly irritated with the Pelfrey signing. The odds of him being productive in 2014 are not good.
    Last edited by laloesch; 01-02-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    "We don't need left-handed pitchers. We need pitchers who can get left-handed batters out." -- Anon (anyone with a source?)
    I vote for Chief.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

20. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-02-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (01-02-2014)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I vote for Chief.
    Might not have been him but he probably went to school with the guy.

22. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-03-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I seem to recall during the winter meetings there being rumors of Garza getting signed within 24-48 hours.

Waiting until January 24 may be hard to take of Garza is eager to land somewhere. Maybe the Twins could in fact take advantage of this weird drawn out Tanaka scenario.

My wild guess is that TR is willing to go 3/48, but Garza is asking for at least 4/60. Maybe 3/50 would get it done?

I would love that signing. I also think Correia would be more valuable than Blackburn, especially after coming off a decent year, which Blackburn was at least a couple of years removed from. I bet they could at a minimum unload his full salary, if not get something in return.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And upgrading from Correia to Garza would be hugely popular around here.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Here's the thing. I was chatting with a friend who I consider to be " a great baseball mind". I was curious what he was thinking about the recent Pelfrey signing and continued interest in other pitchers. He said . . . "sign all the pitchers" . . . . I laughed etc. all that crap. However, he made a point to me. Pitchers are always tradeable, especially veterans. Even if a guy has been mediocre, as long as he has some sort of decent track record they can be sold. If they are doing well, they can bring great returns too. So can you have too much pitching? I don't know. They're always able to be dealt. Especially if they're on short term deals. Think of worst case scenarios here.

Pelfrey . . . he's awful and you cut him part way into the season and have 6 million wasted next year.
    Correia . . . one year deal, not really any worst case scenario with a team like this and a low payroll. If he's awful you cut can run
    Hughes . . . Cant hack it as a starter, return him to a reliever role and his past shows he will be good. You're overpaying for a good reliever but it's not fully wasted. Good relievers (not closers) get 3-5 million per year. so you may have overpaid a reliever 3-4 mil per year for a couple years.
    Nolasco and Garza. . . I include them together. Both have a solid track record. I think worst case they underperform a bit but are still a tradeable commodity. May not get what you want for them but really what are you out by trading a guy you acquired as a free agent. As long as you don't include too much cash in the trade, your'e not limiting yourself.

Point being, a Garza trade wont' limit this team. I just listed what are in my opinion the worst case scenarios. If they all turn out and worst case scenarios are what happen then the Twins are cursed and nothing they can do will help.

Final point: I like getting Garza on anything that is 4 years + an option or less. As long as it's around the 15-16 million per year.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast