Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Twins "kicking the tires" on Garza

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Previously I had stated liking the idea of more money per year, rumored by the Twins, but for less years, say 3 or possibly 3 with some sort of mutual option, possibly incentive based.

My thinking has changed after taking a step back, looking deeper in to Garza's overall success in the AL East and his recent 4 plus year run. Even fighting a non-serious injury of late he produced well when on the mound. Considering his relatively young age still, I say move to a 4 year deal with a club option, a buyout that is fair, and perhaps an automatic kicker based on starts or innings pitched. That would be the best indicator of whether or not you'd even want him that 5th year. If he's healthy and producing you keep him. If not, the buyout. Seems a win-win for both sides.

And was pointed out to me recently, my version of the "52%" rule of revenue for payroll was off a bit as the Twins were actually under the norm last season. Therefore we can more easily afford the Garza deal, and still retain our financial flexibility. Especially with a possible trade then of Correia.

And as I have pointed out previously, and just above me as well, there could be a lot of teams by ST or the end at least, more than willing and needing a veteran innings eater on the cheap without a long-term tie.

My only concern is Garza's health. And I don't mean the arguement that anyone can be hurt at any time. Is there anything we're missing in regard to Garza's health? I've never heard any mention of health issues before, or long term concerns, and not sure I remember even hearing about the screw in his arm.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Can we stop with the 3 year or 3 year with option contract offer talk? It simply isn't reality, in no possible scenario does garza get less guaranteed years then a guy like Nolasco. I would be shocked if he signs for less than 5 (or if the 5th year is an option year it's going to have an easy vesting threshold and/or large buyout.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 773 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Can we stop with the 3 year or 3 year with option contract offer talk? It simply isn't reality, in no possible scenario does garza get less guaranteed years then a guy like Nolasco. I would be shocked if he signs for less than 5 (or if the 5th year is an option year it's going to have an easy vesting threshold and/or large buyout.
    What is almost surely going to play out in the coming weeks:

1. Nothing until Tanaka signs.

2. Tanaka signs, 5-6 losing teams are very disappointed.

3. Left few/no options, those 5-6 teams start aggressively bidding on Garza and Santana.

4. ???

5. Profit!

Garza and Santana are basically guaranteed four years, probably five. Neither will sign for total money under $70m.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Agreed, At this point they're all waiting for post Tanaka fallout. The Twins only shot at getting a decent deal would have been to attack early like they did with Nolasco. I think they probably did go after Garza fairly aggressively but he declined and I can't blame him.

I also think this is why we haven't seen teams trading for SP yet either. Teams aren't full in on getting a Price or Jeff S-word until they know they cant get Tanaka.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. What kind of value will Garza bring a team? (WAR, Wins, whatever # you prefer)

2. Will he outperform Nolasco in 2014?

3. Thought this article from Fangraphs was an interesting look at Garza.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    1. What kind of value will Garza bring a team? (WAR, Wins, whatever # you prefer)

1. He should be solid #2 pitcher with strikeout capability and upside.
    2. Yes, I believe so. Only way he doesn't IMO is if he can't stay healthy which is a legitimate concern.
    3. Nice article, makes me want to sign him more. He's a solid above average guy. Pretty consistent and we would be one of those homer suppressing parks they mentioned, especially to lefthanders.

7. This user likes halfchest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-10-2014)

I dont like the idea of the whole league held hostage waiting for the tanaka thing to work itself out.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I dont like the idea of the whole league held hostage waiting for the tanaka thing to work itself out.
    Since the Dodgers Prez is now on record that they will sign Tanaka "whatever it takes", it behooves the Twins to game plan and think out the chess moves here and act pre-emptively. It's reported that Cleveland covets Garza over the other also-ran Aces.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post

Garza would be the only pitcher that can actually be considered a pseudo ace.

Despite good stuff and peripherals Nolasco has a career ERA much closer to Correia and Pelfrey. He was an okay signing because he has stuff but the signing only works out for the Twins if he actually is the pitcher that he was in his 6th season instead of the pitcher that he was for the previous 4 seasons.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456