Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuke the Vikings

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    I respect your take on this - and I certainly do not see Kluwe as a martyr.

Let's say that what Kluwe said is 100% true on 1-3-13. Would there have been a good time to make it public or should he have sat on it and left it alone? If Priefer is that kind of a **** slush - I would hope that someone would disclose that information.

If it were me, I would, no matter the repercussions.
    I'm not sure when the right time to disclose was. As I mentioned, I don't begrudge him some self preservation in this case. Hell, he had a cake job making big money. But if this guy was so persistently awful and you were doing your job (both according to Kluwe) - why did you do nothing? I can see why you don't go public (a refreshing thing for Kluwe especially) but why don't you bring your very serious coaching concern up the chain at the time? Hell, why don't you do anything other than sit on it until you're washed up?

I certainly can't condone that. I can understand being quiet about it publicly, but doing nothing until he goes nuclear takes a huge bite out of his credibility. This entire approach is what I might expect once a professional, mature, adult has exhausted all expected avenues of recourse.

Ignoring them and going straight to public ridicule is the avenue I'd expect from a teenager or someone equally immature and unprofessional.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm not sure when the right time to disclose was. As I mentioned, I don't begrudge him some self preservation in this case. Hell, he had a cake job making big money. But if this guy was so persistently awful and you were doing your job (both according to Kluwe) - why did you do nothing? I can see why you don't go public (a refreshing thing for Kluwe especially) but why don't you bring your very serious coaching concern up the chain at the time? Hell, why don't you do anything other than sit on it until you're washed up?

I certainly can't condone that. I can understand being quiet about it publicly, but doing nothing until he goes nuclear takes a huge bite out of his credibility. This entire approach is what I might expect once a professional, mature, adult has exhausted all expected avenues of recourse.

Ignoring them and going straight to public ridicule is the avenue I'd expect from a teenager or someone equally immature and unprofessional.
    ---My views on this are very similar to yours.

I think what bothers me most is the way he acts like he's doing something noble for civil rights and changing NFL culture, when really he's just doing something childish and vindictive to get revenge on a few specific individuals he feels wronged by. This isn't about a cause, this is about Kluwe.

His whole "well, now that I've written this, I'll never get an NFL job" thing makes it sounds like he sacrificed his career for a cause he believes in, but that claim rings hollow because his NFL career was over anyway.

In fact he waited until that was a certainty before coming forward with this.

If he believed so strongly in GLBT rights, he should have spoken up, at least internally, when Preifer made the "nuke" comment. But he didn't. He was willing to continue working under Preifer as long as he was getting paid a fat salary for kicking a ball down a field.

I mean could you really claim to be all about racial equality if the managers at your workplace used the N-word and made offensive racial jokes, and you remained silent until months after they fired you?

Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    This isn't about a cause, this is about Kluwe.
    I agree, I gave him the benefit of the doubt at first because I appreciate his efforts for same sex marriage, but his radio comments yesterday shed new light on his article.

I think a lot of people are lining up to defend him because of his cause and, as a result, aren't critically looking at what he did here. This was selfish and juvenile. It's the equivalent of a negative facebook post, it's just Kluwe once again used the platform he has to indulge himself with no cognizance of how his words/actions impact others.

Also, was anyone else flabergasted when Leber brought up his article to the Maryland politician and suggested that Kluwe doesn't understand how his words are frequently interpreted? Kluwe insinuated that people who would get insulted by his "lustful cockmonster" language are missing the point to be insulted. I would think you wanted to be a little insulting, that's why you used that language. He appeared to think his prose was that of a gentlemanly discourse and was astounded that anyone would take offense. Imagine if the South Park guys honestly looked in the camera and were appalled that someone took offense to their work. You'd think them total idiots or glorified trolls. I couldn't help but do the same with Kluwe.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. Like Leber said, because he was a Viking, people would inevitably associate him with the Vikings, and he needed to think about how he was presenting himself.

Kluwe has 2 young daughters. One day they'll reaching dating age. I wonder how he'd feel about a guy coming over to his house to pick one of his girls up and talking like that at the first meeting with the parents. What sort of impression would that leave him with? (I can only imagine the look on my father's face had some guy come over to pick up my sister and started talking about "lustful cockmonsters" . Yikes.)

And while I understand Kluwe taking shots at Preifer (who is a miserable human being if he really said that), and I don't understand him calling Frazier a coward. Even if you take everything Kluwe said as true, Frazier simply told him to tone it down, which is what any head coach would have done. Head coaches are there to win games, and they don't need to be putting out PR fires created by the punter. So Frazier was simply trying to avoid distractions that took the focus off of winning football games, which is what Frazier was being paid to do.

But Kluwe, by his own admission, did not speak up about Preifer because he feared for his job.

So like Frazier, he was motivated primarily by self-preservation. And if Frazier's self-preservation was cowardly, then so was Kluwe's. If anything, Kluwe's was more so because Frazier may not have known about the stuff Preifer was saying.

5. These 2 users like one_eyed_jack's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (01-05-2014), TheLeviathan (01-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    If anything, Kluwe's was more so because Frazier may not have known about the stuff Preifer was saying.
    Your point about Kluwe's cowardice is incredibly salient. Very nice job.

All we can do is try to expose their behavior when we see it and call them to account for their actions
    With the caveat that we do it when it's convenient for us and we won't stand to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars. Oh, and of course, we joke around with that same person for months and act like it never happened - then we nail them when it's most convenient.

How noble.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 01-05-2014 at 12:59 PM.

7. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

one_eyed_jack (01-05-2014)

Vikes retain Preifer as a coach. Which to me says that the investigation has turned out exactly as expected: Kluwe is full of it.

I hope he files a lawsuit and loses that too.

kluwe was cut for salary cap reasons. plain, simple, direct. chris lacks integrity by not stating his comments A) to priefer B) immediately

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12