Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: TK in the booth

  1. #1
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    53
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58

    TK in the booth

    I like bert, but it is fun getting tk in the booth. I love the different perspectives and his willingness to go out on a limb. His takes are good and is a good change of pace. I m looking forward to the rest of his games, along with hearing Roy smalley after that.

  2. #2
    I agree. He's so soft spoken that sometimes it can be a bit daunting, but it makes you focus more on what he's saying, and generally, that's a good thing. I think he just sees the field a little better than Bert does.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,005
    Like
    1,134
    Liked 658 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    TK is the best. He predicts pitch sequences, player positioning, what the hitter is looking for. He still has the game in his pocket. All color guys should color like TK does.

    I like Bert... Bert is one of us but TK is much better and that isn't a knock on Bert.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    269
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah he's so dry that I didn't think I would enjoy him, but he understands the game so well. Plus you got to respect a guy that endured so many bad years after some really good ones. He left Gardenhire with a young, talented, and well prepared group.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,609
    Like
    32
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    TK is pretty awesome and a nice change of pace.
    However I would prefer TK to remain a part of the organization in more of a "mentor" role moving forward like he has been.

    I wouldn't mind a 3 man booth from time to time with Bert, TK and Dick. That could be fun times for sure.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,005
    Like
    1,134
    Liked 658 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    TK is pretty awesome and a nice change of pace.
    However I would prefer TK to remain a part of the organization in more of a "mentor" role moving forward like he has been.

    I wouldn't mind a 3 man booth from time to time with Bert, TK and Dick. That could be fun times for sure.
    Agreed... TK is pure baseball. I bet he craps baseballs... Probably doesn't even need TP.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Posts
    244
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Agreed... TK is pure baseball. I bet he craps baseballs... Probably doesn't even need TP.
    That is hilarious and probably incredibly painful!
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

  8. #8
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    53
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58
    I like the last idea of having all three at times, Baseball Tonight does it, I think that would be good to hear.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    590
    Like
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can't get enough of TK in the booth. The man is just plain awesome.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,609
    Like
    32
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogrulz30 View Post
    I like the last idea of having all three at times, Baseball Tonight does it, I think that would be good to hear.
    The Mets do it as well and it works pretty well. I'm not sure TK would want to do it 162 games a year, so maybe you just do it for home games or something? Him and Bert going back on forth on some things could be pretty entertaining and would soften the sting out of some of the 80-90 losses we are looking at this year.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Honestly...I can't stand him. He talks like a coach. He narrates like he's in the film room, teaching the rookies how to play. When he starts getting nostalgic, he tends to ramble and not always make a lot of sense. He doesn't seem to get that people watch televised baseball for the excitement and entertainment value, not so they can learn how to play the game better.

    He is very knowledgable about the game, but not very knowledgable about the art of broadcasting. I wouldn't mind him stopping in from time to time, or being apart of the "post game instructional", but if he became the full-time color commentator, I'd probably turn the TV on mute and put the radio on.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,005
    Like
    1,134
    Liked 658 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Honestly...I can't stand him. He talks like a coach. He narrates like he's in the film room, teaching the rookies how to play. When he starts getting nostalgic, he tends to ramble and not always make a lot of sense. He doesn't seem to get that people watch televised baseball for the excitement and entertainment value, not so they can learn how to play the game better.

    He is very knowledgable about the game, but not very knowledgable about the art of broadcasting. I wouldn't mind him stopping in from time to time, or being apart of the "post game instructional", but if he became the full-time color commentator, I'd probably turn the TV on mute and put the radio on.
    People don't watch baseball for the entertainment value. They watch the Hunger Games, Adult movies and Diners, Dives and Drive Ins for entertainment.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,901
    Like
    438
    Liked 582 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    People don't watch baseball for the entertainment value. They watch the Hunger Games, Adult movies and Diners, Dives and Drive Ins for entertainment.
    Slightly inaccurate, people don't watch the Twins for entertainment value. A number of fans in other cities do watch baseball for that very reason.

  14. #14
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    53
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58
    Baseball is a game that requires people to learn more about the nuances in the game. If I watch baseball I love watching it with educated people, tk does that well, having all 3 for 81 games would be great. I m guessing the payroll wouldn't allow for that one though, ( laughing)

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    1,889
    Like
    422
    Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I enjoy TK but I am absolutely and 100% opposed to a 3-man booth. They've had that at times in the past (including with TK) and all they do is talk over one another.

    I wouldn't be opposed to it just being TK and Bert though -- its TV, I don't really care if I have the play-by-play.

    It does seem to me that TK swallowed a couple of "political correctness" pills over the winter (Twins brand, of course). We'll see if that continues or if he gets a little more gritty as the games go on.

  16. #16
    Like him - . . . - he's funny too - like -

    When Denard Span made a shoe-string catch in short center - TK - "That's a baseball play, that baseball players make!"

  17. #17
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,005
    Like
    1,134
    Liked 658 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Slightly inaccurate, people don't watch the Twins for entertainment value. A number of fans in other cities do watch baseball for that very reason.
    Very true... lol

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,770
    Like
    4
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Bert is borderline terrible and TK is fantastic. If only Vin Scully were the play-by-play guy . . . that would be the most information baseball broadcast ever.

    Instead it's Dick, er, Richard.

  19. #19
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,901
    Like
    438
    Liked 582 Times in 315 Posts
    Kelly has a great sense of humour, I love listening to him, his insight adds so much to the broadcast. He was pretty blunt about a few things against the Sox but didn't sound critical, just stating the facts.

    Interestingly The Bleacher Report ranks Dick & Bert as the 3rd best MLB TV broadcast team in their latest power rankings. Just behind Dick Enberg & Mark Kneely/Tony Gwynn and of course at #1 the incomparable Vin Scully and no colour guy necessary.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ding-into-2012

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,420
    Like
    63
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    TK is pretty awesome and a nice change of pace.
    However I would prefer TK to remain a part of the organization in more of a "mentor" role moving forward like he has been.

    I wouldn't mind a 3 man booth from time to time with Bert, TK and Dick. That could be fun times for sure.
    TK has been fun. I don't know if it is good or bad, but the "Diamond Cutter" term has rubbed off on me. I do like the idea of Dick, Bert and Kelly doing a broadcast together - I hope it happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.