Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Rumor Mill Round-Up: 1/6

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 248 Times in 141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I would call that more Parker Hageman-esque, though our good looks can lead to confusion.
    Yes, but how are you when mom makes pizza rolls?

2. These 3 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-07-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (01-07-2014), USAFChief (01-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The draft pick loss could just be a negotiating ploy. If Drew has no one looking to sign him the Twins could swoop in with a 2 year 14 -18 million offer with an option come 2nd week of February

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm all for signing one more pitcher. Garza or Arroyo will give the Twins more pitching depth and a better starter towards the top of the rotation. The Twins can always move Pelfry to the pen as his contract has 3.5 million tied up in incentives or they could trade Corriea. There is a lot of flexibility the Twins have should they go out and get another starter.

The Twins were in on Davis earlier a speedy OF. would they be in on another one such as Pierre to be a 4th OF/ week armed CF?

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,213 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Yes, but how are you when mom makes pizza rolls?
    51f.jpg

6. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (01-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Brandon says the Twins can always put Pelfrey in the pen but can he pitch well in that sort of situation? Many starters cannot make that transition, look at some of the results.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Brandon says the Twins can always put Pelfrey in the pen but can he pitch well in that sort of situation? Many starters cannot make that transition, look at some of the results.
    Pelfrey should be able to have moderate success in the pen. He has a pretty hard, flat fastball. His secondary stuff isn't exemplary. He's the type of guy that *should* thrive in a situation where he throws less innings, throws harder, and doesn't get exposed by facing the same batters 3-4 times a game.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sign Johan. Sign Drew. Sign either Tanaka or Garza.

That's what I want. What will we get?

Maybe Johan on a minor league deal with an invite to ST. Drew? unlikely. Tanaka/Garza? keep dreaming.

back to reality.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish J.J. Hardy and Garza had never been traded. A curse upon you Bill Smith. I wonder if the Garza trade talk had started prior to TR stepping down or if it was all of Bill Smith's creation.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    I wonder if the Garza trade talk had started prior to TR stepping down or if it was all of Bill Smith's creation.
    Given that Ryan almost never trades pitching, I think that one is all on Smith. The only young pitcher I can recall Ryan trading during his tenure was Kyle Lohse, which isn't entirely unexpected considering the dude took a bat to his manager's door.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I would be mildly surprised, I would not be crazy shocked to see the Twins add Garza or Arroyo to the mix at this point. It sounds like we are willing to meet Garza's asking price per year, but for only 3 years vs. the 5 he wants. Maybe a 4th year option? Likewise, it sounds like we are not interested in more than a two year deal with Arroyo. The reason I don't think this is crazy, despite decent in-house competition for the 5th spot (Deduno, Gibson, Worley, Diamond, Albers) is that it would hedge against injuries and provide us with some decent trade value that we currently do not have. If we do not have any injuries in ST, and one or more of those mentioned above is pitching well, injuries to other rotations around the league could cause a team to panic and send us something pretty good in return for one of them or Correia.

I don't understand why people think the rotation seems set and that there is no room for Garza? Slide him in at the top and push everyone else down a notch. Nolasco and Hughes are decent pitchers, would not be a 1-2 on any playoff team.

People are afraid that the rookies will get blocked, and as some of them are out of options they will have to be released. No one would trade for them, considering they would be known to be hitting the waiver wire soon enough.

I agree with you, however. You put the best team you can on the field, and if someone gets cut to make the team better you are managing your team correctly.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12