Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sano's Elbow To Be Re-Examined

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know

Sano undergoes TJ surgery.

Disclaimer: if you have no sense of humor don't click on the link.
    Last edited by Badsmerf; 01-08-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Trolling
    Do or do not. There is no try.

2. These 3 users like Badsmerf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-08-2014), glunn (01-09-2014), Target Field of Dreams (01-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody gets a TJ if it's a strained ligament. Torn, yes. And sometimes a strain leads to a tear. But all indications are, they shut him down before it got worse. I buy what LEN3 said.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    (I can't exactly remember all the different things that seemed to happen that kept giving Cuddyer playing time, perhaps someone can refresh our memories)
    Cuddyer was a vastly superior player to Plouffe. That's why he continued to get playing time. Cuddy posted a .779 OPS as a 25 year old. He had a career .868 MiLB OPS.

Some of us weren't only confident in Cuddyer figuring it out, we were screaming for him to get more playing time from the get-go.

Plouffe, eh, not so much. He has a bit of potential but nothing like Cuddyer.

5. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014), stringer bell (01-08-2014), Target Field of Dreams (01-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    In some ways, this isn't the worst news in the world. First, position players aren't really negatively impacted by TJS and they recover more quickly than their pitching brethren. That means Sano would be back and ready to play by Opening Day 2015. Second, that would put Buxton and Sano in lock-step with one another through their six years of service time.

Sure, nobody wants to see Sano go down for a season (or something close to a season) but this isn't disastrous news should it actually occur.
    I agree that Sano missing 2014 wouldn't be a complete disaster but I would be pretty disappointed about him missing that much development time. With his level of development and considerating he may be rusty, he may not debut until 2016. However I don't know that getting Sano and Buxton on the same arb schedule is the best thing. Staggering two possibly large extensions might be more beneficial financially and diplomatically should those two have an internal competition regarding who is the future of the franchise..

7. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I agree that Sano missing 2014 wouldn't be a complete disaster but I would be pretty disappointed about him missing that much development time. With his level of development and considerating he may be rusty, he may not debut until 2016. However I don't know that getting Sano and Buxton on the same arb schedule is the best thing. Staggering two possibly large extensions might be more beneficial financially.
    If both players pan out, I don't see how the Twins keep both. A decision will probably be made on one or the other anyway. At least if they're on the same service schedule, they're more likely to peak at the same time. Either way, I don't think it's a significant issue.

Yeah, it would suck if Sano missed that much development time, I'm just pointing out that it's not the end of the world.

9. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    To clear up any confusion: Ligaments, which help hold joints together, when over-stretched, are sprained. Muscles and their attachments to bones, tendons, when over-stretched, are strained. When any of the above are stretched beyond a certain point, their fibres begin to tear.

11. This user likes Kevin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Joe's career as a first baseman might be short lived. But he can handle LF or RF. Very bad news on the prospect front with Sano's elbow and Rosario's suspension.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    If Sano does in fact have the surgery, it would be another strange scenario that would hand Plouffe more undeserved playing time. I say that and instantly look at a player who in many ways was in the same position. Michael Cuddyer, somehow he kept finding a spot in the field with the Twins to keep getting at-bats, which eventually paid off. Now, i'm not saying Plouffe is Cuddyer, but i'd be pretty cool if he was able to be Sano's backup at 3B, a RH bat off the bench, backup 1B and a backup Corner OF.

(I can't exactly remember all the different things that seemed to happen that kept giving Cuddyer playing time, perhaps someone can refresh our memories)
    I'm hoping Plouffe can be valuable. He's had some nice surges of power/hitting. He's not a great defender but can at least fill in at the corners and in an emergency could be thrown at 2B/SS even if its not ideal. If he can OPS .700 to .750 and hit 15-20 homers a year, I like him as a solid bench option that plays 4-5 games a week at the corners/DH

14. This user likes halfchest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (01-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    It has been written fairly regularly over the years many are disturbed by the team's approach to health problems with their players especially as regards input from their own medical people on the payroll and outside physician input. When, if ever, will this situation be rectified?
    Totally agree.

Where's the thread about "Twins meds first underplay, only to reverse & blow diagnoses"?

Going forward, I wouldn't mind seeing a "DL Tracker" thread for the coming season.
    Surely there has to be a fan here who is an MD or otherwise qualified med. prof. to offer informed opinions. Obviously, without an in-person exam, such a poster/admin could only offer an "outside opinion". Caveat granted.

This should be an area of interest, an there's the potential for stats to enter in. For many years now, I've had the suspicion that the Twins docs consistently lowball on severity of injury, but I'd love to see numbers & comps w/other teams' med staffs.

Otherwise, we're just left guessing on Sano and this type of injury report.
    Same old, same old.
    F5, then post.

Sano should suck it up!

If R.A. Dickey can play without a UCL, Sano can too.

17. This user likes Doomtints's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 156 Posts
    Apparently on Jan. 24th, you can ask Sano for yourself at TwinsFest.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Roger Maris was actually born in Hibbing and moved to ND when he was young. The family name was "Maras", but changed it to "Maris". Wanted to pass as French, I guess.

20. This user likes Ncgo4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    In some ways, this isn't the worst news in the world. First, position players aren't really negatively impacted by TJS and they recover more quickly than their pitching brethren. That means Sano would be back and ready to play by Opening Day 2015. Second, that would put Buxton and Sano in lock-step with one another through their six years of service time.

Sure, nobody wants to see Sano go down for a season (or something close to a season) but this isn't disastrous news should it actually occur.
    I thought, because of how they profile, that Sano coming earlier was a good thing. Odds are that Sano will probably struggle more early on than Buxton, so getting those adjustments out of the way early was potentially a benefit. That way their blossoming as impact players coincided more.

22. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Sano's down here rehabing, and hopefully that will do it. Only time will tell now. The medical staff probably doesn't know either. I'd think if he gets thru spring training ok, he'll be fine. If not, a season is shot but he'd be ready to go next spring.

In the long run, I'd give Sano a better career than Buxton, but then again, only time will tell.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    If both players pan out, I don't see how the Twins keep both.
    Really? We don't have a ton of cash tied up in future payrolls. I would have to think one of the chief benefits of this would be the ability to retain our own homegrown talent. Neither one of these kids is from the twin cities, but I would hope we would at least be able to secure their talents with Longoria-esque deals. It's still risky, but definitely worth it IMO.

Now if you don't extend either one until they are near FA, then good luck. I believe the Twins should vigorously pursue extending these guys before they even hit arb.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

25. This user likes B Richard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If both players pan out, I don't see how the Twins keep both. A decision will probably be made on one or the other anyway. At least if they're on the same service schedule, they're more likely to peak at the same time. Either way, I don't think it's a significant issue.

Yeah, it would suck if Sano missed that much development time, I'm just pointing out that it's not the end of the world.
    So we build the Palace and then we dont keep our quality players?
    You dont think if we end up with another Joe and Justin ,
    that Terry W.Ryan wont keep them both?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Really? We don't have a ton of cash tied up in future payrolls. I would have to think one of the chief benefits of this would be the ability to retain our own homegrown talent. Neither one of these kids is from the twin cities, but I would hope we would at least be able to secure their talents with Longoria-esque deals. It's still risky, but definitely worth it IMO.

Now if you don't extend either one until they are near FA, then good luck. I believe the Twins should vigorously pursue extending these guys before they even hit arb.

I'm with this line of thinking. I think the Twins would still find a way to afford both of them, granted one could present trade value that it's realized and they'd have to pull the trigger on MLB ready talent (e.g. Wil Myers, Hanley Ramirez).

But we afforded Morneau and Mauer, both were about as spendy as any duo in the league. Mauer was 2nd (well, 4 players had less than $500k annually per year, so 5th) and Morneau was 31st in 2011. Of the teams not the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phillies, Mets, Cubs, and Tigers - that was as high as any duo.

The Twins were also willing to pay Hrbek and Puckett top dollars when they had a chance to become Free Agents.

They made Jack Morris the highest paid player in 1991. He and Puckett were top 5.

The Twins have proven they'd pay their own as well as anyone.

28. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    The Twins were also willing to pay Hrbek and Puckett top dollars when they had a chance to become Free Agents.

They made Jack Morris the highest paid player in 1991. He and Puckett were top 5.

The Twins have proven they'd pay their own as well as anyone.
    Jack Morris was not the highest paid player in 1991. He was not even the highest paid pitcher in 1991. He was the highest paid AL pitcher.

That said, comparing the MacPhail Twins of 2 World Championships to the Ryan Twins of misery followed by almost good enough to misery, and the methods of the 2 GMs, does not make much sense.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

30. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    If memory serves, both Hrbek and Puckett took smaller-dollar contracts to stay with the Twins.

Puckett was the highest paid player in baseball for about a week (89?), but even by the standards of that era he was a great deal at about $3 million per. The big salary explosion started pretty soon after that and within about a year his salary wasn't even in the top 40. When he re-signed four years later his salary moved up to around 9th -- and Hrbek was around 90th.

32. This user likes Doomtints's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Jack Morris was not the highest paid player in 1991. He was not even the highest paid pitcher in 1991. He was the highest paid AL pitcher.

That said, comparing the MacPhail Twins of 2 World Championships to the Ryan Twins of misery followed by almost good enough to misery, and the methods of the 2 GMs, does not make much sense.
    Salary s c a p y
    1. Strawberry (LAD) $3,800,000
    2. Carter (TOR) $3,791,667
    3. Mitchell (SFG) $3,750,000
    Clark (SFG) $3,750,000
    5. Morris (MIN) $3,700,000
    6. Davis (KCR) $3,625,000
    7. Davis (CIN) $3,600,000
    8. McGee (SFG) $3,562,500
    9. Langston (CAL) $3,550,000
    10. Raines (CHW) $3,500,000
    Canseco (OAK) $3,500,000