Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sano's Elbow To Be Re-Examined

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sano's Elbow To Be Re-Examined

I haven't been following this that closely, but weren't we led to believe everything was hunky-dory with Sano's elbow? Not according to this report, which is published on 1/6, though I'm not sure just how recently these quotes from Terry Ryan were made....

Ryan, who wouldn't pin a specific date for Sano to be checked out, said it's too early to rule out elbow surgery.

"I don't have any thoughts one way or another quite yet," Ryan said. "It's too early for me. I'm not hiding or skating. I just haven't got enough information to tell you exactly where he's at, but I should in the near future."
    He also has some better news on Deduno. Can anyone who has been tracking this closer than I put this in context?

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...mined/15478484

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Ryan said over a month ago that his elbow was being looked into. Does this now mean they are going to actually wait until spring practice opens to have him examined. How can a GM admit that a zillion $$ prospect has a physical ailment and he doesn't know anything? As much $$ as they have invested in this kid they should be flying half the Mayo Clinic down to the Dominican Republic to examine him.

3. This user likes Ncgo4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-09-2014)

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There really hasn't been much to follow. Since being shut down, he's been checked once and the team thought it was showing progress, he'd go on a throwing program in the DR and they'd check him again this month. Of course, TR isn't going to rule out surgery until he's given a clean bill of health. The real news will be after his next check up.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Thanks. Helps clear up some concerns.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    I haven't seen anything of Deduno. I'm going over there shortly again and will look for him, or find out if he's been here throwing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    To me it sounds like everything is the same as last we checked in. Even if Ryan felt good about an upcomming diagnosis, it feels like he's hedging his bets in case he has to give everyone bad news.

Still, I want to swear and throw things; how frustrating. Hitters can recover from TJ surgery much sooner than pitchers, but still, even if it was needed and Sano went under the knife in February he wouldn't see a pitch all season at any level.

Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    It's cold over there today and eye watering windy. Madison Boer told me Deduno's been there but not yet today. I checked the weight room and 8 -10 guys were there working out. Familiar faces some, but every year I have a hard time placing names on most of these minor leaguers. Talked with Tommy Watkins and he said they're putting the lockers in now, so it looks good for MiL spring training to be held here.

9. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (01-08-2014)

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For everyone that wants to assume the worst, the Twins probably don't care if he needs surgery and is gonna miss the year, because they know MLB found out he stole someone's identity, is actually 24, and is going to be suspended all year anyway. Right?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I haven't been following this that closely, but weren't we led to believe everything was hunky-dory with Sano's elbow? Not according to this report, which is published on 1/6, though I'm not sure just how recently these quotes from Terry Ryan were made....

He also has some better news on Deduno. Can anyone who has been tracking this closer than I put this in context?

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...mined/15478484
    Both of those are very old news. Likely they are both from early December. I have been following the Deduno story very closely (here is the chronicle of his injury and surgery) and the last thing the Twins said (exactly what mentioned in that link) was on December 9th. Silence after that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you click "Read Full Story" at the bottom of that article, it takes you to an MLB.com article from Bollinger written on 12/10: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_min&c_id=min

So, yeah. YardBarker. Pretty useful thing.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Well this was a rather unwelcome scare
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano is young enough that if he loses a season or even a half season it shouldn't matter, as long as he's ready to go in 2015, when the wave of the future should start taking over. And it would delay the starting of his clock, which some people seem to think is a big deal.

Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get Sano's butt to Fort Myers, get it looked at and get him out of the DR where they have no control over what happens to him

Its Sano's right to refuse this, but I can't believe that he would.

This is simple stuff here. I can't understand the Twins sometimes...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 295 Times in 158 Posts
    Per LEN, just today:

"Miguel Sano has arrived in Florida to work out in advance of spring training - but he won't be working out for awhile. He had a callous removed from one his feet and will not start workouts for a few days. But all indications are that everything is going well with him. He was shut down from winter ball this offseason because of a strained ligament in his elbow but the Twins say he has recovered."

Tommy John possible for Miguel Sano?

Via Pioneer Press. Hoping this is an over reaction.

Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Tuesday that while the club doesn't think Miguel Sano (elbow) will require Tommy John surgery, it hasn't been ruled out. Advice: "That would be our hope," Ryan said of Sano avoiding surgery. "Right now we don't think it is (going to require surgery), but I can't tell you for sure until we crank him up a little more." An exam last month showed that the strained UCL in Sano's right elbow was coming along well, but he'll undergo another exam soon. Sano has a shot to make his MLB debut in 2014, but an operation on his elbow would threaten those chances.
    All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
    You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
    NDSU Bison good at football.
    University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
    Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    It has been written fairly regularly over the years many are disturbed by the team's approach to health problems with their players especially as regards input from their own medical people on the payroll and outside physician input. When, if ever, will this situation be rectified?

20. These 2 users like oldguy10's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-08-2014), johnnydakota (01-09-2014)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In some ways, this isn't the worst news in the world. First, position players aren't really negatively impacted by TJS and they recover more quickly than their pitching brethren. That means Sano would be back and ready to play by Opening Day 2015. Second, that would put Buxton and Sano in lock-step with one another through their six years of service time.

Sure, nobody wants to see Sano go down for a season (or something close to a season) but this isn't disastrous news should it actually occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    In some ways, this isn't the worst news in the world. First, position players aren't really negatively impacted by TJS and they recover more quickly than their pitching brethren. That means Sano would be back and ready to play by Opening Day 2015. Second, that would put Buxton and Sano in lock-step with one another through their six years of service time.

Sure, nobody wants to see Sano go down for a season (or something close to a season) but this isn't disastrous news should it actually occur.

If Sano does in fact have the surgery, it would be another strange scenario that would hand Plouffe more undeserved playing time. I say that and instantly look at a player who in many ways was in the same position. Michael Cuddyer, somehow he kept finding a spot in the field with the Twins to keep getting at-bats, which eventually paid off. Now, i'm not saying Plouffe is Cuddyer, but i'd be pretty cool if he was able to be Sano's backup at 3B, a RH bat off the bench, backup 1B and a backup Corner OF.

(I can't exactly remember all the different things that seemed to happen that kept giving Cuddyer playing time, perhaps someone can refresh our memories)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    I certainly would give more credence to the direct Ryan quote above, but Len3 didn't make it sound very dire in his news and notes in attached link.

Len3: http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...239165491.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast