Thread: Article: The Case for Stephen Drew

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Case for Stephen Drew

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 304 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the draft pick compensation should be tied more to the team's market size then losing a free agent. The RedSox are a huge market and can sign away folks without fear. The compensation was meant to protect teams like the Twins (formerly) and pirates from being a farm system to other teams...

That said, I still miss JJ Hardy... What a colossal blunder. Wonder if the Orioles would send him back to us for the ghost of Hoey.

In conclusion, I don't have a huge problem going for him. I think the price needs to drop a bit or get an option or something... I'm not super excited by him either, but as this article shows, there won't be any better options any time soon... other than possibly Hardy next year.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The more I think about this, the more I like this idea. I really wonder if baseball might not be undervaluing Drew. The crickets surrounding him make me wonder if there are some things we don't know about with him, because I can't believe he hasn't got more interest. He is, seemingly, the whole package - offense, defense, youth - at a very hard position to fill. It makes the 2nd round pick scare seem a bit silly.

4. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-07-2014)

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Concur with John. Drew seems like such a no brainier, it makes you wonder what you're not seeing.

Unless there IS something, the Twins should have signed him already.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I vacillate a bit on Drew. I'm not sold on him coming out of Fenway (I have an irrational fear of anyone who hits in that park) but his spray chart indicates that he didn't make much use of the Monster so that's probably a non-issue.

On the other hand, Pedro Florimon is not a Major League hitter. The Twins have zero above average shortstop prospects in the high minors. If there is one position they can fill via free agency and not have to worry about getting in the way of any youngsters, it's short.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    If you are worried about losing a second rounder, just look at all the second round picks by the Twins the last 25 years.......If you think they shouldn't sign him "because they aren't close", then why sign Pelfrey, why even try to get better at all......If you think they should not sign him because it will tie up resources for next year, they lose KC and Willingham off the payroll, they are still WELL below the 50% threshold, and they just got $25MM more EVERY year in national tv money.

There really isn't a good reason not to sign him. OTOH, if you aren't punting the season again, there are plenty of good reasons to sign him.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since I'm already on record as favoring a Drew signing, you're preaching to the choir in my case. The draft pick compensation just isn't a big deal to me and it actually probably keeps the competition and price levels down to the point where he should be attractive to the Twins.

It's such a no-brainer to me that I can't help but feel like the fact that the Twins haven't been linked to him almost makes it more believable that they're still in play for another high-priced FA option like Garza. Knowing Boras isn't at all concerned about waiting for the market to play out, once the remaining top SP free agents are off the board, the Twins would potentially be turning their attention to position player upgrades and if Drew is still out there, maybe they get aggressive on him.
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 01-07-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Concur with John. Drew seems like such a no brainier, it makes you wonder what you're not seeing.

Unless there IS something, the Twins should have signed him already.
    One potential explanation is that the Red Sox are privately acknowledging similar issues with Drew that Arizona had. Namely, being soft and faking injuries. So maybe now there are two organizations lending support to the idea the guy has a bd makeup?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If you are worried about losing a second rounder, just look at all the second round picks by the Twins the last 25 years.......If you think they shouldn't sign him "because they aren't close", then why sign Pelfrey, why even try to get better at all......If you think they should not sign him because it will tie up resources for next year, they lose KC and Willingham off the payroll, they are still WELL below the 50% threshold, and they just got $25MM more EVERY year in national tv money.

There really isn't a good reason not to sign him. OTOH, if you aren't punting the season again, there are plenty of good reasons to sign him.
    There is a good reason not sign him, we just don't know it. I read somewhere Boras may have to market him as a 3B or 2B to get the interest up. WAG's on the Twins possible reasons? We are going to take Trea Turner if he is available. We have our sights on a specific player in the 2nd round, that we are higher on than others. A starting pitcher from Puerto Rico?

Drew reminds me of a player falling down the draft board, that no one can figure out why. I'm perfectly content to let the Twins handle this one.

Edit: I didn't see Levi's bad make up suggestion. That sounds feasible.
    Last edited by howieramone; 01-07-2014 at 09:19 AM.

11. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    59.5%

That's the percentage of games Drew has played over the last three seasons. I am quite certain that is the number that is scaring teams away.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The Twins have zero above average shortstop prospects in the high minors..
    Not true. I'd say in the high minors (and on the 40-man roster) Danny Santana is an "above average" prospect and in mid minors Jorge Polanco is a top prospect. Lots of people are high on Goodrum (pun not intended) as well...

That said, a 3 year contract to Drew will "block" only Florimon, Escobar and Santana. I like to see what Escobar can do. SS is his best defensive position, he is just 24 and I think that his bat will take off this season if given a chance.

Not sure that Drew is the best investment here. Back to the wRC+ numbers: his career wRC+ is 96. His last 3 seasons his wRC+ was 92, 80 and 109 (average 93.6). In other words, for his career he has been 4% below the average player and 6.4% below the average the last 3 seasons combined. A 3 year contract will buy his age 31, 32 and 33 seasons, that should theoretically be worse than his age 28, 29 and 30 season when we was 6.4% worse than the average hitter.

One thing that might be encouraging is his splits. He is horrible against LHP. Last season in 167 PA vs LHP he hit .196/.246/.340 with a 10/55 BB/K ratio. If the Twins were to find a platoon player against LHPs, they might be in business. Florimon is worse against LHP, but Escobar is better. Drew mashed RHP in the rate of .284/.377/.498 last season, but a. do you want to pay $3/35M for a platoon player (even though he will take the majority of PAs) and b. (even more importantly) will the manager platoon him, because he should?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

14. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-07-2014)

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

Most teams would be giving up a first round pick which makes it easier for the worst teams like the Twins to go after him because we lose less AND what are the odds on a second rounder?

Either Drew or that Cuban SS (what's his name? Where's his thread?) needs to be acquired. There are NO shortstops close to pounding on the door in our system as there are at most all other positions. That is why I had Drew in my off season blue print... We need to address SS this year or next!

(Honesty in conversation, I have also said a winning team can have a poor offensive SS and compared Florimons potential to Gagne but that's only potential IMHO)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    One potential explanation is that the Red Sox are privately acknowledging similar issues with Drew that Arizona had. Namely, being soft and faking injuries. So maybe now there are two organizations lending support to the idea the guy has a bd makeup?
    This is what puts me in the minority, if he's faking it's bad, but if he's not faking, it doesn't make it much better, he's still missing a boatload of games. I'm not a big Drew supporter, I'd take a shot on a one year deal, but considering he hasn't played 130 games since 2010 I think it's unlikely he does it regularly over the next three years. I'm also pretty concerned about his career high SO% at his age 30 season which was preceeded by his 2nd highest SO% season the year before. The limited number of games he plays combined with the increasing strikeout numbers have the look of an accelerated decline.

These kind of guys seem to end up platooning very quickly. Speaking of platoons, check out his .196/.246/.340 slash against lefties last year. I'm not excited about giving a guy multiple years at $10 million per to share time with Pedro Florimon.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-07-2014 at 09:31 AM.

17. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-07-2014)

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand the fascination with Drew, the guy can't stay healthy. He has bad wheels and the grind of the shortstop position just makes him a bad signing waiting to happen. Defensively and as your 9 hole hitter Florimon or Escobar are fine.

19. This user likes kirbyelway's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't dislike Drew, and if the Twins sign him, I'll be cool with it. That said, if he does sign, I think he has the potential to become one of the more unpopular players in recent history. He misses a lot of time, he often looks disinterested and he is very inconsistent. He's just as likely to hit .220/.310/.350 next year as he is to hit .255/.333/.440. Those are his last two seasons and while he was injured for some of the poor season, that kind of proves my point too.

I'm with Thrylos, I'd prefer Escobar next season, although I'm not sure that's a real option. The Twins seem to be pretty fine with Florimon.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 171 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What, faking injuries?

Drew's injuries, ordered by days on DL.

Date On Date Off Transaction Days Games Side Body Part Injury
    3/26/2012 6/27/2012 15-DL 93 73 Right Ankle Recovery From Surgery
    7/21/2011 10/8/2011 60-DL 79 64 Right Ankle Surgery
    6/28/2013 7/20/2013 15-DL 22 17 Right Thigh Strain
    3/8/2013 3/27/2013 Camp 19 0 - Head Concussion
    4/24/2009 5/12/2009 15-DL 18 18 Left Thigh Strain
    3/27/2013 4/10/2013 7-DL 14 7 - Head Recovery From Concussion
    6/15/2005 6/29/2005 Minors 14 0 Right Thigh Strain
    3/22/2011 3/31/2011 Camp 9 0 Strain
    3/21/2009 3/29/2009 Camp 8 0 Abdomen Strain
    3/31/2011 4/4/2011 DTD 4 2 Abdomen Recovery From Strain
    4/5/2011 4/8/2011 DTD 3 2 Abdomen Soreness
    3/17/2011 3/20/2011 Camp 3 0 Abdomen Strain
    5/18/2013 5/20/2013 DTD 2 2 - Low Back Soreness

The two biggies are the ankle injury and ensuing recovery. Closely followed by a concussion. Not sure how you fake either of those.

The right thigh strain could be worrisome I guess, maybe it could aggravate the ankle if Drew has to compensate for it. I'm reaching here.

By comparison, here's Michael Cuddyer's injury history.

Date On Date Off Transaction Days Games Side Body Part Injury Severity
    6/28/2008 9/13/2008 60-DL 77 66 Left Fingers Strain Index Finger
    8/19/2012 10/4/2012 15-DL 46 44 Right Abdomen Strain Oblique
    4/4/2008 4/25/2008 15-DL 21 18 Right Fingers Dislocation Index Finger
    5/9/2013 5/24/2013 15-DL 15 14 - Neck Cartilage Injury Herniated Disc
    8/1/2012 8/16/2012 15-DL 15 14 Right Abdomen Strain Oblique
    7/19/2007 8/3/2007 15-DL 15 13 Right Thumb Sprain Thumb
    6/30/2005 7/17/2005 15-DL 17 13 Left Hand Contusion
    8/11/2011 8/22/2011 DTD 11 9 - Neck Cartilage Injury Felt Pop Swinging Bat Disc Injury
    9/3/2005 9/11/2005 DTD 8 7 Trunk Strain Rib Cage

22. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 275 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not true. I'd say in the high minors (and on the 40-man roster) Danny Santana is an "above average" prospect and in mid minors Jorge Polanco is a top prospect. Lots of people are high on Goodrum (pun not intended) as well...

That said, a 3 year contract to Drew will "block" only Florimon, Escobar and Santana. I like to see what Escobar can do. SS is his best defensive position, he is just 24 and I think that his bat will take off this season if given a chance.

Not sure that Drew is the best investment here. Back to the wRC+ numbers: his career wRC+ is 96. His last 3 seasons his wRC+ was 92, 80 and 109 (average 93.6). In other words, for his career he has been 4% below the average player and 6.4% below the average the last 3 seasons combined. A 3 year contract will buy his age 31, 32 and 33 seasons, that should theoretically be worse than his age 28, 29 and 30 season when we was 6.4% worse than the average hitter.

One thing that might be encouraging is his splits. He is horrible against LHP. Last season in 167 PA vs LHP he hit .196/.246/.340 with a 10/55 BB/K ratio. If the Twins were to find a platoon player against LHPs, they might be in business. Florimon is worse against LHP, but Escobar is better. Drew mashed RHP in the rate of .284/.377/.498 last season, but a. do you want to pay $3/35M for a platoon player (even though he will take the majority of PAs) and b. (even more importantly) will the manager platoon him, because he should?
    Molitor said Santana was two years away at the end of 2013. Polanco is more of a second base prospect than a shortstop. Goodrum might become something, but he is still quite raw and three years seems his reasonable landing time. Drew would not block any of these guys.

My chief concern with Drew is health. Perhaps they hang onto Escobar and Florimon just in case, or hope that Bartlett can be a reasonable stop gap in case of injury. But it all hinges on teh cost. You just hate having salary tied up in injured players.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not big into projections, but mlbtraderumors did an article on Drew a while back and they cited projections that were not at all kind. I just do not believe a multi-year contract for this guy at more than $10M per year will come close to paying off. The draft choice is another pebble in the landslide as far as I'm concerned.

25. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-07-2014)

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Eh, I think the fuss over Santana is due to the lack of decent SS prospects in the Twins organization, not any inherent talent in Santana himself.

The guy hasn't OPSed over .739 in five years. He doesn't have good plate discipline. He doesn't hit for a high average. He doesn't have particularly good power. He's a prospect on the level of Brian Dozier pre-2011, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

In other words, he's the type of guy that pleasantly surprises you if he breaks out. He's not the type of player you think about when building your MLB roster.

27. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (01-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Sano continues to have arm problems Drew could be a good backup option at 3rd too should the Twins get tired of Plouffe not hitting should Plouffe continue to hit .700 OPS or less.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast