Thread: Lance Ray

Lance Ray

Team: Fort Myers Miracle
    Position: RF, LF, 1B
    Bats: L
    Throws: R
    Height: 6' 1"
    Weight: 194

He was born in the sin city. The Twins drafted him in the 8th round of the 2010 First Year Player Draft out of the University of Kentucky.

In 132 games last season(all with the Snappers), he hit .253 with 34 doubles and 16 HRs and 74 RBIs.

Why he has potential:
    -He only hit 3 home runs in 2010(64 games) but jumped to 16 in 2011 and has been on pace to pass that mark this season
    -He has been hitting well with runners on base.
    -He is a solid defensive player. He has a .984 fielding percentage. In 121 games playing in his main position in right field, he has just committed 5 errors.
    -He was also an MiLB.com organization all-star last season.

Concerns:
    -He averaged a strikeout a game last season and so far this season. His strikeouts double his walk total.
    -His career .260 batting average isn't anything to brag about either.

All in all, I think this guy has some potential. If he can get better plate discipline, his number of strikeouts will go down and as a result his BA will go up. If his latest power surge continues, I believe he can be a real power threat.

References
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=594973
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...position=1B/OF
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ray---001lan

Lance Ray making a diving catch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Land Of 10,000 Beasts; 05-06-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Things haven't been looking good for Lance lately. He is 0-12 with 4 strikeouts in his lat 3 games. Hopefully he can turn it around if he has any hope of making AA this year.

He got a hit today finally breaking his 5 game hitless streak. Better yet, he hasn't struck out in the last couple games. He didn't play in 2 games in the midst of his hitless streak so maybe he'll get some more playing time now.

Lance Ray gets it done tonight with a grand salami. Since he broke hit hitting streak(last 7 games), he has been hitting .318 with 8 RBIs. The best news though is he has 6 walks compared to just 5 strikeouts. Keep it up Ray!!!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like Lance Ray's potential a great deal. He is not on the radar yet for most people, but he is someone to watch move up the system.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    I really like Lance Ray's potential a great deal. He is not on the radar yet for most people, but he is someone to watch move up the system.
    Oh I know he is a great all around player I don't know why nobody ever talks about him. I think he has plenty of potential. He went 3-4 with 2 doubles tonight. He is just TEARING the ball off the cover right now.

Blog Entries
    This year is key for him. Steady progress through the system is required here. Give him a taste of AA ball in August and see what happens in 2013. I see September 2014 callup as a possible first appearance in the Show.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FORT MYERS, FL (May 14, 2012) — The Florida State League announced today that Fort Myers Miracle outfielder Lance Ray has been named Player of the Week for May 7-13, 2012.

Ray notched eight hits in 19 at bats for a .421 batting average. The Las Vegas, Nevada native collected nine RBI’s and scored six runs.

The 22-year old was selected by the Minnesota Twins in the eighth-round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft from the University of Kentucky. He leads the Miracle with four home runs and 24 RBI’s.

Since he was named Player of the Week, he has been 1-19. Since I've adopted him as my prospect, he has either been hot or cold. He is too inconsistent. I don't know if it's a mental thing or what but it's not looking good at the moment.

I feel like I should post a little update. He hasn't been playing that well. Basically batting sub-.200 with a couple homers the past few weeks or so. I honestly can't remember his last multi hit game. Let's hope he can turn it around soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Of 10,000 Beasts View Post
    I feel like I should post a little update. He hasn't been playing that well. Basically batting sub-.200 with a couple homers the past few weeks or so. I honestly can't remember his last multi hit game. Let's hope he can turn it around soon.
    True, though his isolated power and isolated discipline are still very good. Just means he has to channel some contact. If he gets his batting average up over .240 he will be back similar numbers he had last year at low-A.

Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    True, though his isolated power and isolated discipline are still very good. Just means he has to channel some contact. If he gets his batting average up over .240 he will be back similar numbers he had last year at low-A.
    You're right, he has kept his strikeouts down. I wish I could watch some of the Miracle games so I could analyze him further. All I have to go off of is stat sheets and make my observations that way.

Ray is only month older than Hicks & 2months older than Morales.....still very young
    Had his best month in Ft Myers 21gms 72AB .292/.363/.431 3HR 18RBI 13k 7bb
    Leads the Miracle in RBI with his 51

I have been quite absent from this thread, but I have still payed attention to Ray and he has been doing really well lately. After his 7 RBI, 2 HR performance last night, he is now batting .333 his last 10 games and more importantly has averaged less than a strikeout a game.

Since June 27th (37gms), Ray has continued on fire thru tonight.
    44/130 .338/.411/.554 17runs 8doubles triple 6HR 34rbi 23k 15bb 1hbp 2/2sb's
    6th in tough hitting FSL in HRs w/13 & 8th w/63RBI
    Still only 22 & will be interesting to see who joins him in 13' New Brit OF as none of the other Miracle have had good yrs.