Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Elephant in the Room: Sano's Elbow

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I'm waiting on the article predicting the amputation.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Gosh, practicing medicine over the internet is difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I'm waiting on the article predicting the amputation.
    Total arm replacement could be named "Miguel Sano surgery"

I guess I'm not sure what the big deal is. Sano is not a pitcher.
    Now if we were talking about a wrist problem...then I'd be worried. Or an amputation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Just move Mauer to 3rd now ....
    Same thought occurred to me. May not be fair to Mauer, but if anybody on this team could do it, Joe Mauer could learn to play 3rd base in a couple months, where most guys might not ever be able to do it.

My bigger question would be, can Sano learn 1st base at the MLB level?

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Mauer could play 3rd base right now. He takes hundreds of ground balls every spring at 3rd and doesn't miss. I was kind of surprised they didn't move him there and bring back Morneau. Sano is the reason he's at first.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Mauer could play 3rd base right now. He takes hundreds of ground balls every spring at 3rd and doesn't miss. I was kind of surprised they didn't move him there and bring back Morneau. Sano is the reason he's at first.
    Hear me for a second. First and third (and short and second) are different beasts. First is the second closest position to a catcher in the respect that people throw you balls at a fast speed (sometimes off target) that you have to catch and maybe tag someone. Third, short and second, you have to knock them down and throw them. You rarely throw a ball at catcher, you rarely throw a ball at first. Second and short, you catch double plays. Third, not that much.

No Sano.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Worry, worry, worry ...

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Hear me for a second. First and third (and short and second) are different beasts. First is the second closest position to a catcher in the respect that people throw you balls at a fast speed (sometimes off target) that you have to catch and maybe tag someone. Third, short and second, you have to knock them down and throw them. You rarely throw a ball at catcher, you rarely throw a ball at first. Second and short, you catch double plays. Third, not that much.

No Sano.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Same thought occurred to me. May not be fair to Mauer, but if anybody on this team could do it, Joe Mauer could learn to play 3rd base in a couple months, where most guys might not ever be able to do it.

My bigger question would be, can Sano learn 1st base at the MLB level?

A good third baseman is somewhat like a hybrid of quick reaction times and proper angles taken by a hockey and soccer goalie combined with a strong and quick-releasing arm, plus the familiarity and comfort of a catcher going both deep into foul territory to cover foul pops and pouncing on dead fair balls in the no man's land between third and home. No reason Mauer can't do this, and do it well.

The Sano situation should certainly give pause to the braintrust to fully consider their options in the intermediate and longer-term. Perhaps a reconsidertion of the Mauer-Plouffe platoon option with Mauer DHing against LHP? This of course would open up the spot at 1B, which invites speculation to more strongly reconsidering signing Kendrys Morales at First on a part time basis with Colabello (Morales is 103 OPS pts. better hitting left over right-handed and Morales very likely isn't up to playing in the field for 150+ games, although he did play 152 games at 1st for the Angels in 2009)....or considering the dreaded Parmelee/Colabello tandem.

With the Morales option, when Sano is finally here for good, he can fairly seamlessly slide into 1st with Morales DHing full-time, or if Sano is able with his arm, move Mauer back to 1st, Sano to 3rd, Morales still DHing full-time, Plouffe Super-UTIL. Solves some of the short-term offensive woes and doesn't obstruct the long-term offensive goals, either.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-11-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Gosh, practicing medicine over the internet is difficult!
    So is scouting baseball players, and a thousand other disciplines that rely on experts. In all these disciplines, we're finding that the wisdom of experts is full of biases and an over-reliance on gut instincts and intuition over data-driven reasoning. This is where the Internet, and the machines that can make sense of the data therein, is a huge benefit to society.

Sabermetrics may not benefit society, but it has changed the way we understand the game. It no longer suffices to rely on gut instinct alone. At the very least, we need to check these intuitions against data.

We have similar data science in medicine. Watson is a computer that is better than any human medical diagnostician because he can use the massive data stores on the Internet and superhuman reasoning power to more accurately diagnose patients, and provide treatment recommendations.

We are not Watson. But we can recognize patterns of faulty diagnoses and treatment. Perhaps ligament injuries are just difficult to diagnose and treat. But it sure seems like this org has struggled where other orgs have not as much. It deserves more study. I am writing this comment because I object to rejecting this study out of hand.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    Worry, worry, worry ...
    I hear ya!
    I come here to escape Winter and worry

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LaVelle is on for Paul Allen on KFAN this morning. In an interview with Terry Ryan, he asked about Sano. Paraphrasing the response:

Since arriving in Ft. Myers, he had some warts removed. He was checked out last month and right now he's having no pain. Everything is going as hoped. However, he has not yet started to throw, and that will start once his foot/feet heal up. At that point, they'll see if he can make the throws from 3B and know much more. Assumption is that he'll be just fine. But until he does that, can't be 100% certain.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Good news. Unless the training staff mis-diagnosed plantar fasciitis as plantar warts.

Talked with Sano this morning and asked about the elbow. It's good, no pain, and he started throwing today and will throw again tommorrow. So things are looking up.

15. These 7 users like Halsey Hall's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

B Richard (01-17-2014), mike wants wins (01-17-2014), nicksaviking (01-17-2014), PseudoSABR (01-17-2014), shs_59 (01-21-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (01-18-2014), Willihammer (01-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Talked with Sano this morning and asked about the elbow. It's good, no pain, and he started throwing today and will throw again tommorrow. So things are looking up.
    Great news and thanks for the update.

interestingly, Sanó directly translated means "He healed"

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    interestingly, Sanó directly translated means "He healed"
    There's another language where Sano translated means "He shall arrive in June"

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Holy Cow that's good news!!

We've got to keep this guy warm for Twins fest, so I gave him my gloves this morning. And.....besides a pet monkey, he's also got a dog.

21. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (01-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    There's another language where Sano translated means "He shall arrive in June"
    You're speaking my language!

23. This user likes lyndon's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (01-22-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast