Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Rodriguez Suspension Now 162 Games

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    I'm surprised no one has commented on the 60 Minutes segment last night. I thought it was interesting, but I don't think CBS dug very deep. It had the feeling of Bud Selig calling someone high up at CBS and saying, "Would you like a juicy story to expose Arod? The only catch is you cannot make MLB look bad". I'm kind of surprised that MLB didn't have 60 Minutes edit out the part where Bosch insinuated that all the players are doping.

CMathewson, you mentioned that MLB's testing is way behind other sports, but I would argue that compared to the NFL and college football it is more strict. I think some NFL type fans that sort of follow baseball wish that baseball would just let the whole PED thing slide and go back to the "Glory Days" of 98 with Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire.

I agree that it the Yankees, Selig, and Bosch are the only ones that benefit from this mess.

I missed the 60 minutes segment but have been wondering whether the arbitrator appeared (was apparently scheduled according to mlbpa statement of disgust).

Did he appear? What did he say?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    I might be a bit of an A-Rod hater but am trying to be objective about this issue. I do have some issue's with MLB going above the 50 game suspension especially since they don't have him testing positive. However, just like some court cases allow for punitive damages I think that given the accusations, that same principal could apply to A-Rod in this case. If he was truly flaunting ways around the rules and trying to cover up his involvement etc. then I personally think he deserves the extra time. It also should serve as a deterrent for any other players trying to skirt the rules as the stakes are for non-compliance can be higher if the violations are egregious.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    My understanding is the punishment is not based on the regular drug testing schedule, rather that A-Rod was guilty of "obstructing the process". Since this involved many other players and it appears A-Rod played a large role, they felt justified in issuing a greater suspension.

I think teams should be required to pay the salary in some fashion (not to the player) so they have an incentive to not tolerate doping. Part of me wants him to beat this so the Yankees are stuck paying and playing him. He's done as a player.

4. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (02-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I missed the 60 minutes segment but have been wondering whether the arbitrator appeared (was apparently scheduled according to mlbpa statement of disgust).

Did he appear? What did he say?
    The arbitrator did not appear. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but those who appeared were Selig, MLB's COO Rob Manfred, Bosch, and Arod's attorney. Here is a summary via CBS
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...s-sunday-night

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    The arbitrator did not appear. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but those who appeared were Selig, MLB's COO Rob Manfred, Bosch, and Arod's attorney. Here is a summary via CBS
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...s-sunday-night
    Thank you.

To me it would have been totally inappropriate for the arbitrator to be on -- and I understand why the MLBPA would be upset.

And Selig should have stayed off. If he wasn't going to testify at the hearing, he should have shut up now as well. He should have just let Manfred represent the Commissioner's office.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    My understanding is the punishment is not based on the regular drug testing schedule, rather that A-Rod was guilty of "obstructing the process". Since this involved many other players and it appears A-Rod played a large role, they felt justified in issuing a greater suspension.

I think teams should be required to pay the salary in some fashion (not to the player) so they have an incentive to not tolerate doping. Part of me wants him to beat this so the Yankees are stuck paying and playing him. He's done as a player.
    I like that idea as it gives teams incentive to make sure their players are not doping because they will pay the salary to charity or baseball pension fund or something. Letting the team completely off hook doesn't hold them accountable in any way.

I understand a team cannot control what a player might decide to ingest to enhance performance so it might be slightly unfair but if a larger incentive for not breaking the rules existed I think it would help.

8. These 3 users like Dman's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (02-07-2014), markominne (01-13-2014), thetank (01-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because ARod is appealing in federal court documents were released showing the instructions on when and how to use steroids in order to avoid being caught.

Wonder how many more labs are out there?

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    "Wait...what? I'll have to testify? Under OATH??

Never mind."
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

12. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-08-2014), JB_Iowa (02-08-2014), TheLeviathan (02-08-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12